Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the best optional modules for career in Finance and Accounting? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am Finance, Accounting and Management BA student. I have option to take some optional modules during the course. I would like to ask your opinion. For future career in finance what additional modules is better to take?

1. Computer science modules (like programming).
    2. Deeper macro / micro economics and quantative courses.
    3. Mathematics (calculus, probability and others).

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    maths.

ReputationRep:
    Probably maths

ReputationRep:
    Whichever you are better at. Unless they're modules that give you specific exemptions then go for whichever will give you the highest mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attention)
    I am Finance, Accounting and Management BA student. I have option to take some optional modules during the course. I would like to ask your opinion. For future career in finance what additional modules is better to take?

1. Computer science modules (like programming).
    2. Deeper macro / micro economics and quantative courses.
    3. Mathematics (calculus, probability and others).

Thank you very much.
    The one that interest you the most

Seriously speaking I have yet to have any employer ask me what modules I took during my undergrad years.

My advice is to take the one you are most interested in and hopefully it is also the one that would give you a 2:1 or above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    The one that interest you the most

Seriously speaking I have yet to have any employer ask me what modules I took during my undergrad years.

My advice is to take the one you are most interested in and hopefully it is also the one that would give you a 2:1 or above
    I understand that, but I do it not for employer, I do it for myself. I would like to have better education. I just not sure what will be more useful for my future career. What kind of skills people in Finance use more.
    For one reason economics can be usefut, to analyze market. For enother reason math can be very useful too.
    What about econometrics or quantitive economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attention)
    I understand that, but I do it not for employer, I do it for myself. I would like to have better education. I just not sure what will be more useful for my future career. What kind of skills people in Finance use more.
    For one reason economics can be usefut, to analyze market. For enother reason math can be very useful too.
    What about econometrics or quantitive economics?
    They all have their usefulness of their own.

But personally I would most likely skip option 1 as it is unlikely you would learn anything useful unless you get taught something in regard to SAP.

Option 2 is probably the most useful of the 3 options, and for best results make sure it provides you with skills in regard to quantitative econometrics.

Option 3 : A good understanding and command of mathematics is essential in the financial industry, but for the most part not essential for it to be up until you have to take modules at a university for it. For the most part if you take an option 2 module, you will be exposed to sufficient mathematics to get you through, anything else.. there usually is a good computer program that can do it for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    They all have their usefulness of their own.

But personally I would most likely skip option 1 as it is unlikely you would learn anything useful unless you get taught something in regard to SAP.

Option 2 is probably the most useful of the 3 options, and for best results make sure it provides you with skills in regard to quantitative econometrics.

Option 3 : A good understanding and command of mathematics is essential in the financial industry, but for the most part not essential for it to be up until you have to take modules at a university for it. For the most part if you take an option 2 module, you will be exposed to sufficient mathematics to get you through, anything else.. there usually is a good computer program that can do it for you
    I like the second option the most.

ReputationRep:
    If your course is linked to a professional qualification, I would choose the module that would gain you an extra exemption.

If your degree is not linked to a professional qualification, I would choose the one that you could get higher marks in.

My rationalle for this is that if you are sure you want to go into this career area, then it does not really matter what degree subject you take (let alone the module subject). If your aim is to go into practice, and initialy apply for one of the Big4 companies upon graduation, you will be required to list out every module with the grade received for every year you spent in university. The higher the grades, the better as it shows dedication and consistency throughou your 3 (or 4) years at uni.

If you think you would be able to achieve a consistant grade over the 3 module choices, I would be tempted to go for the macro/micro economics option as this is the most likly to get you closer to gaining (should you apply for it) the Finance (or equivelant) module exemption for your professional qualification.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.