Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I too old to start a career?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 24 years old, will become 25 in april, and just started at WestLB in Sao Paulo, in the operations (BO).

I am an undergraduated student (although I studied 4 years at the university of Frankfurt, I did not graduate) and will graduate in 3 years. By then, I will be 27y.

when I was 19y I left Brazil to study in Frankfurt, where supposedly Investment Bankers used to earn more money, but since I never got a chance, even an internship, at an IB, I gave up and came back home.

I think I got this chance at WestLB because of:
    - I can speak german, have international experience and a job at WestLB is not so difficult as at GS, MS, ML, DB...
    - Operation is easier than FO.

Anyway, I intend to fight for a chace in the FO, since I want to work with M&A.
    But I am starting from the bottom of the ladder and I will take sometime until I get a chance. Besides, I do not attend a top university.

Will I be too old to start with M&A (probably as a Junior Analyst) with 27y/28y???
    Will I be too old to get a chance at the FO???

PS: I have a lot of work experience in large companies all over the world, like in the US, Brazil, Germany, Austria and France, but not related to IB.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not

ReputationRep:
    You're not even old. You're worrying over nothing.

I was expecting someone in their 30s, and even then I would have said you can still do it.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I thought you were in your 40's or something. :dunce: Good luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    You're NEVER too old :-)

ReputationRep:
    Its never too late

ReputationRep:
    Wrong sub forum mate, would get better responses if you post this here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94

ReputationRep:
    Hardly! You can do it, you're hardly what I would consider old!

Best of luck in all your future endeavors!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    Wrong sub forum mate, would get better responses if you post this here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94
    thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the answers, guys.

It's really motivated to hear what all of you said.

Can anyone tell me how old you started at your first job in the financial market?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    thank you for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for Gawds sake.....24 isn't old at all. In 10 years you'll look back and laugh at the stupidity of thinking you were
    'too old to start a career' at 24. You can have a change of career at any age, it really doesn't matter about the age, all that matters is your commitment and drive to make things happen. I'm 30 and still feel young and still believe anything is possible for me in the future if I commit to making it a reality. So if you are 24 and feeling 'too old', I really pity you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    +1.

Good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    What? of course not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    this
    Never too old for anything. Unless you are on your deathbed, it's probably a bit too late to career plan there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.