Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 24 years old, will become 25 in april, and just started at WestLB in Sao Paulo, in the operations (BO).

I am an undergraduated student (although I studied 4 years at the university of Frankfurt, I did not graduate) and will graduate in 3 years. By then, I will be 27y.

when I was 19y I left Brazil to study in Frankfurt, where supposedly Investment Bankers used to earn more money, but since I never got a chance, even an internship, at an IB, I gave up and came back home.

I think I got this chance at WestLB because of:
    - I can speak german, have international experience and a job at WestLB is not so difficult as at GS, MS, ML, DB...
    - Operation is easier than FO.

Anyway, I intend to fight for a chace in the FO, since I want to work with M&A.
    But I am starting from the bottom of the ladder and I will take sometime until I get a chance. Besides, I do not attend a top university.

Will I be too old to start with M&A (probably as a Junior Analyst) with 27y/28y???
    Will I be too old to get a chance at the FO???

PS: I have a lot of work experience in large companies all over the world, like in the US, Brazil, Germany, Austria and France, but not related to IB.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% on the law surrounding this, but I'm pretty sure employers aren't allowed to discrimate on the basis of age (or gender, ethnicity, sexual identitiy/orientation, religion, or mental/physical disability).

Also 27, really isn't THAT old, I'm sure people have been given FO roles at that age.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not referring to law...

I'm asking about "market driven choices", if firms think that someone in the late 20's and only being a graduate (no MBA nor Masters) is suitable for the job.

ReputationRep:
    Im not an expert but I imagine being that age more of a problem in sales & trading side. So wanting M&A is better in my opinion.

If you can explain your past well, explain what you did each year, why you did it, and know why you want M&A etc I think you'll be ok on the age front. Maybe leave age blank on application form, although adding education/experience etc, its not too hard to figure out age give or take a year.

I see your main issues explaining why you did 4yrs at Frankfurt and didnt graduate, and the fact you're not attending a top uni second time around.

You might have better luck at smaller investment banks than the bulge bracket graduate schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igor.assis.ferreir)
    I'm not referring to law...

I'm asking about "market driven choices", if firms think that someone in the late 20's and only being a graduate (no MBA nor Masters) is suitable for the job.
    ok, as far as market driven choices are concerned and considering your background (no mba, no masters, lack of dedication and focus, ****ty education in general etc)..I suggest you look for something more suitable...like admin or retail work...maybe even telesales?

ReputationRep:
    As far as mrket driven choices are concerned, what banks are looking for is someone who can slog the long hours, and do the work properly.
    At 27, you are still in the physical and mental shape to do both.
    If you're 50, and want to start as analyst, then you won't be physically fit enough to withstand the demands, but at 27 you're golden.

Other than that, I find this hilarious:

(Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    ok, as far as market driven choices are concerned and considering your background (no mba, no masters, lack of dedication and focus, ****ty education in general etc)..I suggest you look for something more suitable...like admin or retail work...maybe even telesales?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Troll.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.