Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

Will having done M1, M2, M3, and M4, make the attainment of an (A) grade in AS Physics a breeze?

.....Or is there a lot more to AS Physics that isn't covered in the A-level Mathematics mechanics modules?

Edit: I realised the post was riddled with typos. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Should definitley make your understanding much better! but there's many more topics you will have to study and understand!

ReputationRep:
    physics is much more than just mechanics...

as you seem good at maths, physics should be easy though. you just need to learn a few new concepts, but the vast majority of questions when i did it were just quick little calculation questions, where the formulas were either very simple or in the formula booklet

ReputationRep:
    Its about 2/3 of the first module , i'm not sure if you do waves if you do not then the whole of the second module is different but not to difficult and the third unit is generally a practical (there is a written version aswell not to sure about this )
    I'm talking about edexcel btw

ReputationRep:
    I'd say about 30% of my board's (AQA) AS Physics was mechanics, the rest stuff like electricity, particle physics, waves etc. So you should find the mechanics side of it a breeze, as practically no knowledge of mathematics is assumed, however as much can't be said about the rest of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics itself is not the benefit; it's more that you get practice with problem solving and you stay familiar with algebra, rearranging equations etc. C1, 2, 3 etc will be just as useful in my opinion (as maths in general helps with most of the physics course.)

Having said that, maybe 20-40% of your physics course will probably be mechanics depending on your board. It's roughly the same as the stuff you learn in M1. I don't think the benefits of taking M2, 3, and 4 on top of that will serve much purpose if it's just to help with physics :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.