Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Ugly Friend Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Chatting to the girl I flat share with and she went 'I really sorry for her, she gets no attention when we go out' about a friend of hers and I said she should just hook her up with someone to which she replied 'but she's like really ugly'.

Then we debating about the theory of 'the ugly friend'. I personally don't find any of my friends 'ugly' surely once you befriend someone you become less attentive to their physical flaws?

She said her and her freinds talk about how 'ugly' this girl is behind her back all the time however none of them can openly tell her that's the reason she get's no attention and they assure her she's pretty eventhough they don't think so. :eek:

I have friends who I know are amazingly stunning and some which are more average however because I know them I find them all gorgeous and appreciate things such as their smiles and when I see them I see their beauty.

She argues and objects to this.

What do you think?

I think it's even worse that when she asks them they say 'no babe your gorgeous' then ***** about her being ugly .....some 'friends'

Anyone ever been the 'ugly friend' or ever 'had one'?

My other flatmate reckons some girls like to keep an 'ugly' friend so they get all the attention?

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I have friends with varying degrees of attractiveness but i wouldn't call them ugly. I've met very few actual ugly people, everyone has something nice about them, or at least some potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)

Anyone ever been the 'ugly friend' or ever 'had one'?
    Every group has an 'ugly' member. But hell, we're still friends. We don't even talk about it much tbh, because we don't want to make him uncomfortable (he's already told us he is not happy with his looks).

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's just me but I always see people and think wow they have nice eyes, hair, pretty smile etc so I can't see how this girl could be 'ugly'. I mean of course there are some really unfortunate people out there! It seems to me these girls might be socially classed as pretty but they're ugly on the inside! This 'ugly' friend deserves more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Every group has an 'ugly' member. But hell, we're still friends. We don't even talk about it much tbh, because we don't want to make him uncomfortable (he's already told us he is not happy with his looks).
    Surely Mary when you genuinely become friends with someone it should be impossible to perceive them as 'ugly'.

ReputationRep:
    Very few people are actually ugly. You sound like a good person. I kid of know what you mean - when I get to be friends with someone, I don't have a picture in my head when I think of them so much as a mix of their characteristics and expressions. Your flatmate doesn't sound like a nice person, tbh. Who always talks about their friend like that?

ReputationRep:
    If you think your group of friends doesn't have an ugly member... it's you! :ahee:

Also, your flatmate sounds like a right biaaatch.

Hey

Chatting to the girl I flat share with and she went 'I really sorry for her, she gets no attention when we go out' about a friend of hers and I said she should just hook her up with someone to which she replied 'but she's like really ugly'.

She said her and her freinds talk about how 'ugly' this girl is behind her back all the time however none of them can openly tell her that's the reason she get's no attention and they assure her she's pretty eventhough they don't think so. :eek:

She argues and objects to this.

What do you think?

I think it's even worse that when she asks them they say 'no babe your gorgeous' then ***** about her being ugly .....some 'friends'
    No 'friends' act like this.

ReputationRep:
    Surely Mary when you genuinely become friends with someone it should be impossible to perceive them as 'ugly'.
    Physically, yes. Otherwise no.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is such a girl thing as well, generally I think groups of guys are way more upfront about these things.
    To be honest, we have an 'ugly' friend, and everyone in the group is aware of it but we don't ***** about her really, its not really all that fair.
    I know its actually horrible, but I guess it makes people feel better to know that there is someone less physically attractive than you.
    She is absolutely lovely though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinny-minnie)
    I have friends with varying degrees of attractiveness but i wouldn't call them ugly. I've met very few actual ugly people, everyone has something nice about them, or at least some potential.
    I agree.

What I've also noticed is... In my group of 7 closest friends (from home) the ones who were considered most attractive while we were in high school are now suddenly the ''ugly'' ones, and the ones that used to get no attention in school are now fighting guys off with a big stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DubarryGroom)
    I don't know if it's just me but I always see people and think wow they have nice eyes, hair, pretty smile etc so I can't see how this girl could be 'ugly'. I mean of course there are some really unfortunate people out there! It seems to me these girls might be socially classed as pretty but they're ugly on the inside! This 'ugly' friend deserves more!

My opinion exactly, surely it is very 'ugly' to be friends with someone and secretly demean their physical appearance.

I often meet people and care less about their appearance then after getting to know them become very attracted to them because of whatever I notice in them, surely this rule must be apparent in friendship too? I think if you are friends with someone and really like them you won't view their physical appearance in the same way a stranger would.

A bit like a mother would view her child in a different light to a stranger ? Because the mother knows and loves her child she can't find her child 'ugly'.

ReputationRep:
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    If you think your group of friends doesn't have an ugly member... it's you! :ahee:

Also, your flatmate sounds like a right biaaatch.

No 'friends' act like this.

LOL.

I didn't mean there is no possibility of their being an ugly member to say a stranger but I personally find it impossible to deem someone I am friends with ugly. The same way I couldn't find my brother or sister ugly.

ReputationRep:
    I like to keep one around to make me look better.

They see ugly and then they see me, and it... is... ON!

ReputationRep:
    ugly friend= **** blockers.
    Seriously ugly friends are usually the wise ones, who think and give their good looking friends advice.

ReputationRep:
    they sound insecure and childish.

i can't really think of any of my friends that I would say are ugly, it's not a nice word and as you've already said, it's easy to see the attractive qualities in most people... if you're a nice person

ReputationRep:
    i'm the ugly friend :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I've lost all ability to look at my close friends subjectively.

I think they're all pretty and I have genuinely no idea who would be judged as the most attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I like to keep one around to make me look better.

They see ugly and then they see me, and it... is... ON!

Really? :rolleyes:

I find it interesting that some people like doing that too, isn't that a sign of insecurity? The need to have an 'ugly' friend around to make you look 'better'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angela_Beth)
    I've lost all ability to look at my close friends subjectively.

I think they're all pretty and I have genuinely no idea who would be judged as the most attractive.
    SAME!

I wouldn't say my sister is 'ugly' the same way i wouldn't say my friend is 'ugly'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.