Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you need to take further maths A level if you want to do an economics degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    We have these careers meetings in my school and they told us that we don't need to take economics for A level, but it is 'preferable' which is obvious, however, i have been told that i am more than capable to take maths A level, but i cant take further maths - only about ten students take it. Would this create a massive disadvantage for me if i wanted to try for some of the top school (LSE, Oxford, UCL...) ?

ReputationRep:
    you'll want atleast the AS, preferably the full a level, especially for lse and ucl

ReputationRep:
    Is there no way of you doing it at all, can you not teach yourself?

ReputationRep:
    It would be a serious disadvantage in applying to the best courses.

ReputationRep:
    It helps. Further Math isn't really as difficult as people make it out to be, try getting a tutor and self study if you want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure that your referee mentions that you weren't able to take it at your school (due to teaching limiatations or whatever).
    They shouldn't then hold it against you, just make sure you get a high A grade in AS maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curious?)
    We have these careers meetings in my school and they told us that we don't need to take economics for A level, but it is 'preferable' which is obvious, however, i have been told that i am more than capable to take maths A level, but i cant take further maths - only about ten students take it. Would this create a massive disadvantage for me if i wanted to try for some of the top school (LSE, Oxford, UCL...) ?
    Most of the top universities need applicants to have studied A level maths and strongly desire applicants to have studied at least AS Further Maths. If you can't do it at your school, you may wish to consider studying with the FMSP (http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/index.php). You get loads of support and access to the online resources which are really helpful, especially if you are mainly studying online. I'm studying AS and A2 FM during my gap year right now, and I am learning so much!

PM me if you have any questions!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    While not necessary, it's certainly an advantage. It will also make your life a lot easier at university.

ReputationRep:
    yes, if your applying to those uni's make sure you study further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curious?)
    No.

If you have your referee mention in the reference that it was not possible for you to take FM then this will be no problem. That is the reason maths is a requirement for economics degree whereas FM is not (although unis wish it could be).

ReputationRep:
    Yes you need to take Further maths
    Try doing it externally or something if you want to go those Unis.
    This is something im currently thinking bout; quite stressing. i know

ReputationRep:
    Many of the top unis as good as require f.maths, however oxford don't, and neither do durham as these courses have a much lesser maths content

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.