Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When your best friends date...RANT! Watch

i got dumped. lucky me. and my two best friends started dating.

all they can talk about it their relationship! OK fine they're happy and i've been happy for them but it is just starting to get annoying and i hear it from both of them! ! ! and i live with one of them so it's there ALL THE TIME every single conversation it's just gaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

at first it was sweet....now it's just insensitive - as if i want to hear about how fantastic they are doing when i am trying to get over a horrid break up, it makes me feel bad because i miss my ex so much i know it's easy to get carried away at the start but it's been 3 months of continuous excessive 'aww look at how amazing we are' do they not realise it's not the best thing to be rubbing in my face right now??!

and then sometimes the girl will randomly start an msn conversation with me about how great he is, and then leave in the space of 15 minutes... and when she comes over she just knocks on my bedroom door when she knows i'm working or even asleep and just sits and goes on and on about it...

cant even have a proper conversation gahhhhhhh!

it makes me feel bad not their fault but i'm fuming and i needed to rant at someone

piffed off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

all they can talk about it their relationship! OK fine they're happy and i've been happy for them but it is just starting to get annoying and i hear it from both of them! ! ! and i live with one of them so it's there ALL THE TIME every single conversation it's just gaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

at first it was sweet....now it's just insensitive - as if i want to hear about how fantastic they are doing when i am trying to get over a horrid break up, it makes me feel bad because i miss my ex so much i know it's easy to get carried away at the start but it's been 3 months of continuous excessive 'aww look at how amazing we are' do they not realise it's not the best thing to be rubbing in my face right now??!

and then sometimes the girl will randomly start an msn conversation with me about how great he is, and then leave in the space of 15 minutes... and when she comes over she just knocks on my bedroom door when she knows i'm working or even asleep and just sits and goes on and on about it...

it makes me feel bad not their fault but i'm fuming and i needed to rant at someone

piffed off

Just because they're happy you're bitter.
    Sorry that your relationship didn't work out, but be happy for them
    Spiteful *****.

ReputationRep:

piffed off
    Sorry to hear that it's irking you I'm privy to thinking that she's not aware of how hung up you are over your ex, otherwise, I'm pretty sure she won't be like this.

Have you tried saying something along the lines of "I'm sincerely happy for you - though at the moment, I still need a bit of time to get over my ex. Would you please hold off on discussing you two just for a while? I'd be very grateful to you if you could bear with me."

Though if any of them has asked you "are you alright?" and you've not brought it up, then tsk. -shakes head-

But if they're your best friends, just broach the subject gently and you'll be surprised how accommodating they'll be. Do it when you're calm, though - don't "snap" or bring it up in the middle of their "gushing". Perhaps the next time they ask you "are you alright?" would be a good time to break it.

Anywho, feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Just because they're happy you're bitter.
    Sorry that your relationship didn't work out, but be happy for them
    Spiteful *****.
    That's really harsh. You've got to admit that what they're doing is a tad bit insensitive and even if she wasn't getting over a breakup, someone going on and on about how amazing their partner is must get irritating.

OP, I think you should talk about how upset you are about your breakup and maybe your friends would take the hint and be a little bit more considerate?

(Original post by arianex)
    Sorry to hear that it's irking you I'm privy to thinking that she's not aware of how hung up you are over your ex, otherwise, I'm pretty sure she won't be like this.

Have you tried saying something along the lines of "I'm sincerely happy for you - though at the moment, I still need a bit of time to get over my ex. Would you please hold off on discussing you two just for a while? I'd be very grateful to you if you could bear with me."

Though if any of them has asked you "are you alright?" and you've not brought it up, then tsk. -shakes head-

But if they're your best friends, just broach the subject gently and you'll be surprised how accommodating they'll be. Do it when you're calm, though - don't "snap" or bring it up in the middle of their "gushing". Perhaps the next time they ask you "are you alright?" would be a good time to break it.

Anywho, feel better.
    they're the main people that i have spent my time crying to about it...just seems a bit like they're not thinking...i've said to them before and they went 'oh sorry we're so stupid' ... then it was the same the next day...i just miss being able to talk to them about normal things :/

ReputationRep:
    they're the main people that i have spent my time crying to about it...just seems a bit like they're not thinking...i've said to them before and they went 'oh sorry we're so stupid' ... then it was the same the next day...i just miss being able to talk to them about normal things :/
    Ah. Then perhaps set out what you want, exactly - next time this happens and they go "oh sorry", be like, "so I'd really be grateful if you could be a bit more considerate with your talk about each other - at least, while I'm still getting over things. I promise I'll do my best as well and will let you know when I'm fine and dandy."

Or something like that. Because much as humans are supposed to be more savvy and pick up unspoken hints, you sometimes have to put it to them up-front.

Also, if you've done that - said exactly what you'd like them to do - and they still don't do it, then there's no excuse on their part.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.