The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2600
Original post by Hedgeman49
Eh not really, more that the Saints have next to no pass rush

or this haha
That looked like a bad audible by vilma on that run
Original post by burningnun
Well yeah, I'm not saying I was being smart by predicting a close game. I'm saying the game was close and interesting even when the Saints were down two scores.

Nah your analysis was on point don't get me wrong. But it was definitely on the tipping point for awhile I felt, if GB had gone 3 scores up I don't think Brees would have had a prayer of bringing the Saints back.

Saints just giving up that rushing TD seemed like an odd play call, just left the run wide open. I expected a lot more from the Saints run D tonight. I think that's going to be the difference here and we'll see Green Bay end up winning this by around ten or so.
Original post by Jimmy McNulty
Nah your analysis was on point don't get me wrong. But it was definitely on the tipping point for awhile I felt, if GB had gone 3 scores up I don't think Brees would have had a prayer of bringing the Saints back.

Probably true.

Does anyone else think it's weird that whenever a QB who played out of shotgun in college gets drafted people are always going on about how he needs to run an NFL offense from under centre, yet the best offences in the league soend most of their time in shotgun?
Probably true.

Does anyone else think it's weird that whenever a QB who played out of shotgun in college gets drafted people are always going on about how he needs to run an NFL offense from under centre, yet the best offences in the league soend most of their time in shotgun?

The best offenses in the league already have the best quarterbacks and thus spend loads of time in the gun because the QB's skill enables them to run the spread against NFL defenses. QBs coming out of college may have been able to run the spread against college Ds but are often not good enough to do so against NFL Ds. So they prefer to put rookie QBs under centre and run more conservative offenses until they have acquired sufficient skill to do otherwise - but if the QB you're drafting out of college has never played under centre it makes this transitional step all the more difficult.

At least that's how I see it. :P
Original post by Hedgeman49
The best offenses in the league already have the best quarterbacks and thus spend loads of time in the gun because the QB's skill enables them to run the spread against NFL defenses. QBs coming out of college may have been able to run the spread against college Ds but are often not good enough to do so against NFL Ds. So they prefer to put rookie QBs under centre and run more conservative offenses until they have acquired sufficient skill to do otherwise - but if the QB you're drafting out of college has never played under centre it makes this transitional step all the more difficult.

At least that's how I see it. :P

Way too tired to phrase it as well as you did but that's more or less my thoughts too.
Ingram is running hard.
Huge sack there.
F**k yeah Randall Cobb! :woohoo:
Holy **** that return! Wow. NFL record tied on debut. I know it's only week 1 but Packers are making a statement in this game.
lol, strong special teams
lol, strong special teams

Teams will be weird this year if this game is anything to go by. A ton of touchbacks and some big returns. I guess the kicking team unit will get less practice defending returns if the touchbacks stay at this level.
Another TD and I think it's over.
That game was ****ing incredible. So glad the NFL is back!
And that right there is why the NFL is the most popular league and football is the most popular sport in America. I only wish people everywhere else in the world could have seen this game and would give American football a chance. Absolutely incredible.
Yeah, what a game. Will probably be a top 5 game of the season.
Hellyeah baby :biggrin:
Well.... that game was freaking epic.
Fantastic game to watch, will definitely go down as one of the best season-openers ever I imagine. Few things I noticed during the game:

a) Again, we had to rely on a last-second defensive stop to come away with it, something which happened a lot last year. For some reason, we just can't put the win away before.

b) Overall, not a great night for the secondary. Shields was targeted all night and didn't make many stops, if any. Williams went off injured and Woodson had a moment of madness and punched someone?!

c) However, literally every man on the offense had a stellar performance. A-Rod was on fire as usual, all of the receivers got a few catches for big yardage and, contrary to what we've seen in the pre-season, the O-line really got it done.

I agree with some of the above posts. If the NFL keeps churning out games this entertaining, there'd be a lot more fans.
Just finished watching the rest of the game this morning and what an ending to it, absolutely brilliant game. I honestly thought Brees' last drive was going to do it, not so sure they would've got the 2pt conversion but it was still an amazing drive.

Latest