The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The 4th and 6 play was almost definitely the right call. It's much better to win than tie, and the conversion rate for that kind of 4th down is probably around the same as the conversion rate for a long kick - a little lower, but not enough to make up for all the other disadvantages. A miss in either case would give up bad field position, but it would be worse if they went for a field goal and missed. You can see in retrospect it was clearly the right call, since with better execution they would have won or tied the game on the last drive. You can't call plays for a team that isn't executing.
Original post by The Troll Toll
The 4th and 6 play was almost definitely the right call. It's much better to win than tie, and the conversion rate for that kind of 4th down is probably around the same as the conversion rate for a long kick - a little lower, but not enough to make up for all the other disadvantages. A miss in either case would give up bad field position, but it would be worse if they went for a field goal and missed. You can see in retrospect it was clearly the right call, since with better execution they would have won or tied the game on the last drive. You can't call plays for a team that isn't executing.

i'm a bit of an nfl noob but....

New england were getting the ball back either through a touchdown or field goal (or a miss in either case), so if baltimore went for a fg on 4th and 6 then they would probably make the extra 3 points and level up (the percentage must be higher for a fg than a td here surely?).

Effectively, if they go for a 1st down then probably run the clock (it was at 5mins or so right) down a few minutes that leaves enough time for a new eng counter attack. Whereas, if they convert the field goal the clock time will be significantly greater which may;

1. Let them try for a td if england go on to score on their offensive drive

2. If they defend then they gain a minute or two on the offensive.

I think they should have scored a field goal because of the time on the clock. Correct me if i'm wrong btw :smile:
Woow just realised, that Baltimore howler saved me a load of money on this bet! Under 49.5 points bet would have gone down in overtime scoring had they tied the game. Jeeeez :redface:
Could be a Giants vs Pats rematch on the cards. 17-14 to the Giants with 8 mins left.
The clock is really neither here nor there. Getting an extra set of downs doesn't mean they would have had to run the clock down a couple of minutes.
Original post by The Troll Toll
The clock is really neither here nor there. Getting an extra set of downs doesn't mean they would have had to run the clock down a couple of minutes.

oh i meant there would be less time for the opponents to launch an offensive drive (and thus baltimore after new eng's drive)

Got under 40.5 total points on this NY game! OVertime counts

Just realised, a touchdown is 6 points and it ends the game! 2x field goals would suck big time here :redface:
And it'll be a rematch of Super Bowl XLII. Hopefully we'll get our revenge! :beard:
Oh my, that was a nail biting end to both games. Marvellous to see the Giants win.

But that Ravens field goal... Wow wow wow.
Not surprised the Niners lost, but am still disappointed.
Reply 3409
Aha i'm soo happy
Reply 3410
Niners proving to everyone, that you don't get 5 turnovers every week, and without them you need an offense to get you to a superbowl. Something they lack almost entirely.
Original post by Rekyht
Niners proving to everyone, that you don't get 5 turnovers every week, and without them you need an offense to get you to a superbowl. Something they lack almost entirely.

Perhaps, but they got pretty damn close the way it was. I mean it did get to OT after all.

Cmon Giants! I really don't want the Patriots to win, but i'm very reluctantly accepting that they probably will.

As a side point, been seeing rumours the Phins as well as the Cardinals may go heavily after Peyton Manning in the offseason if he's healed up/not willing to split with Luck in Indy. That'd be pretty cool, watching Manning vs Brady twice a year in the AFC East...not to mention that the Phins would instantly have a genuine shot at the division title. Then again, anyone would with a healthy Peyton Manning, and his health is the biggest question of all....
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

2 WEEKS OF EXCITEMENT BEGINS.

I will literally shake with excitement at work on Sunday. This is going to be SO sick.

Although the Pats are the favourites, I fear we might lose. After all our only real weakness at the moment is a huge one. And the Giants main strength is exactly what plays on our weakness. I think they have all the tools to throw us off.
Original post by Baltimoron
Haha my bad. After re-reading that, I really sounded like a dick. Didn't mean to be a complete *******. It's just that no one in the media (or on this thread) seems to be giving the Ravens a chance. Kind of frustrating considering how good this team is. And I really really hate the Patriots. I have personal experience with how much of a mother****er Bill Belichick is, so I never want him to win anything haha.

But it should be a good game either way, and I'll be watching with a bunch of Pats fans. It's time for Suggs to Ball So Hard.

Looks like we were both right to an extent.

The Ravens did do a good job of dealing with the Pats offense and Brady in particular, getting two picks. However, ultimately we still managed to score 23 points despite being severely limited on offense which I think shows just how good our offense is. To get held back consistently and still score 23 is pretty impressive IMO.

Also, you were right in that it was probably defense that won this game in the end, regardless of whether Cundiff made that kick at the end or not (feel so bad for Cundiff. I think the Pats would have won in OT anyway, but awful for it to be his failure alone. A lot to carry on his shoulders). The Ravens D limited the Pats and so it would have been a defensive win from them. And the Patriots had quite a few exceptional D plays including Sterling Moore's breaking up of a potential game-winning touchdown, so our D won it for us their.

Ultimately though, the Patriots were overall a better team I think. Like I said when our D plays like it can, we are more than capable of beating anyone. Imagine our D from last night teamed with a full-on offense! That's why I think this team could beat near enough any team.

In short: We were both right, but not in the ways we thought :L Better luck next year. The Ravens are more than capable of winning it all sometime soon!
I still cant figure out why Brady threw that pass and jimmy smith got the deflected interception, I thought yes we got this then he went and did that and i could have cried. I went through every emotion in that game. Feel for the Ravens though Flacco did his job, Cundit as well must have been under imense pressure and the fact coach basically said we dont trust you to make this kick so unlucky :frown: But go Patriots! Whats the word on Gronks ankle?
Reply 3415
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Perhaps, but they got pretty damn close the way it was. I mean it did get to OT after all.

Cmon Giants! I really don't want the Patriots to win, but i'm very reluctantly accepting that they probably will.

As a side point, been seeing rumours the Phins as well as the Cardinals may go heavily after Peyton Manning in the offseason if he's healed up/not willing to split with Luck in Indy. That'd be pretty cool, watching Manning vs Brady twice a year in the AFC East...not to mention that the Phins would instantly have a genuine shot at the division title. Then again, anyone would with a healthy Peyton Manning, and his health is the biggest question of all....

True, but thats exactly what a great defense does: It'll put you in a position to be able to tie or win the game all day long, but it can't do everything for you.

And the Giants worked out that if you double cover Vernon Davis and get some pressure on Alex Smith while playing Soft Zone, he can't do anything because he'll throw the ball away before forcing anything.
People doubting the Giants ability to win the Super Bowl is a mirror to their last SB encounter... and look how that turned out.

Original post by johnharris19944
I still cant figure out why Brady threw that pass and jimmy smith got the deflected interception, I thought yes we got this then he went and did that and i could have cried. I went through every emotion in that game. Feel for the Ravens though Flacco did his job, Cundit as well must have been under imense pressure and the fact coach basically said we dont trust you to make this kick so unlucky :frown: But go Patriots! Whats the word on Gronks ankle?

Brady may yet have similar problems against the Giants. If it's anything like Superbowl 42, the pass rush may well leave Brady on his butt and ruin the offenses tempo. As for Gronk, it's reported that he will play in the superbowl.
Original post by lukimusprime
People doubting the Giants ability to win the Super Bowl is a mirror to their last SB encounter... and look how that turned out.

The reason this one is different is that now we KNOW that the Giants can beat us and we will be more prepared.

In Superbowl 42 we underestimated them and paid the price. We will be more prepared this time around.
Original post by The Patriot
Brady may yet have similar problems against the Giants. If it's anything like Superbowl 42, the pass rush may well leave Brady on his butt and ruin the offenses tempo. As for Gronk, it's reported that he will play in the superbowl.

Thats what im worried about the one weapon the giants have big time is our biggest weakness probably. Oh well still excited. Hopefully Gronk is 100 percent were gonna need him bad and if he is perhaps he plays like he did earlier in the season when him and welker torched them :biggrin:

Latest