The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good wildcard round! Nothing amazing. No games I would say WOW at but some entertaining matchups and an interesting preview to the divisionals.

Pats - Broncos AFC Championship. Can't see anything else at the moment. Broncos are just better than the Ravens. They're at home too. Pats have psychological edge over Houston after we dismantled them in week 14, we have the home field too and Texans ended the year 1-3 in December. With a bye week for prep I can't see it going any other way.

NFC is up in the air. Not sure what to say. I like the Seahawks to roll on Falcons. Atlanta had the weakest schedule in the league (check 'strength of schedule' column) and Seahwaks have a great win to roll on with). Green Bay San Francisco might be the best game of the playoffs. Looking forward to it immensely! I'l take Green Bay and have them host Seattle in NFC Championship.

Wont predict any further untill I see how it pans out!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4921
Original post by Authority_Song

Wont predict any further untill I see how it pans out!

Step up!

I'll go all the way to the Superbowl! My Wildcard was right too so if this all goes I'll be well happy!

Ravens v Broncos - Broncos
Texans v Patriots - Patriots
Seahawks v Falcons - Seahawks
Packers v 49ers - 49ers

Broncos v Patriots - Broncos
Seahawks v 49ers - 49ers

Broncos v 49ers - Broncos
So who won the fantasy league? Craic team? Congrats :biggrin:

I came 10th, awful this year, some poor draft picks and didn't have the spare time to turn things around :facepalm2:
Reply 4923
Loved the game last night, such a terrible start by Seattle but it just shows how easily these games can turn. It was all over when RG3 went off though, anyone know any news on the injury?
At first i thought the redskins would cruise rg3 was moving ok and tearing the defense but wheb he tweaked it the tide turned seahawks no longer had to fear hin running and his throws were awful. Cousins should have come on. Wasnt impressed with wilson throwing either just wanted to run all the time. Marshawb lynch though what a beast.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
Reply 4925
Mike Shanahan made such a bad decision by continuing to play RG3 when he could barely move. Cousins would have given them a shot.
Looking forward to seeing Seattle play again. They're pretty impressive at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wattsy
Step up!

I'll go all the way to the Superbowl! My Wildcard was right too so if this all goes I'll be well happy!

Ravens v Broncos - Broncos
Texans v Patriots - Patriots
Seahawks v Falcons - Seahawks
Packers v 49ers - 49ers

Broncos v Patriots - Broncos
Seahawks v 49ers - 49ers

Broncos v 49ers - Broncos

Alright then!

The reason I didn't want to is because in my opinion you really need to see the four teams that haven't played yet play to see how they actually stack up when real football comes along. People have backed Atlanta to do great things every year, yet no matter their success they fail in the playoffs because they aren't a big game team.

AFC

Broncos over Ravens
Pats over Texans

Pats over Broncos

NFC

49ers over Packers
Seahawks over Falcons (easiest schedule in the league, Seahawks are rolling)

49ers over Seahawks

Superbowl

My heart says New England but my head says 49ers might edge it. However I don't see BB and Brady (possibly hi last chance at a ring) losing for the third time in a row. Especially not with the unfinished business what with the 49ers escaping with their lives a few weeks back.
Original post by Authority_Song
Alright then!

The reason I didn't want to is because in my opinion you really need to see the four teams that haven't played yet play to see how they actually stack up when real football comes along. People have backed Atlanta to do great things every year, yet no matter their success they fail in the playoffs because they aren't a big game team.

AFC

Broncos over Ravens
Pats over Texans

Pats over Broncos

NFC

49ers over Packers
Seahawks over Falcons (easiest schedule in the league, Seahawks are rolling)

49ers over Seahawks

Superbowl

My heart says New England but my head says 49ers might edge it. However I don't see BB and Brady (possibly hi last chance at a ring) losing for the third time in a row. Especially not with the unfinished business what with the 49ers escaping with their lives a few weeks back.

I got falcons beating hawks and packers beating 49ers ultimately a gb ne final. How confident are ya going all the way this season?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4928
Original post by kl123456
Mike Shanahan made such a bad decision by continuing to play RG3 when he could barely move. Cousins would have given them a shot.
Looking forward to seeing Seattle play again. They're pretty impressive at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not like Cousins is a terrible replacement either.
Original post by 419
It's not like Cousins is a terrible replacement either.

I was shouting at the tv saying to get him off the field.
Reply 4930
After watching Marshawn Lynch's amazing 67yd earthquake TD run for the first time (and the hilarious commentary on youtube), I played with Seattle against the Falcons on Madden 12. I scored a 77 yard TD run with Lynch on the first play of the entire game:biggrin: It was so awesome! Hopefully a good omen for this weekend
Hey,

I just started watching American football, and I was reading about the Heismann Trophy.

If it is awarded to the best College player, why is that player not number 1 pick or why is someone like Tebow picked at number 25?
Reply 4932
The Heisman is chosen before draft day by I think, critics etc of the college game. When draft day comes, the teams will chose the player that is most needed and the best fit. For example, if a quarterback wins the Heisman that does not automatically mean he will go at 1. The team with the first pick may choose a player in another position that they need most, or even of they do choose a quarterback, they may choose a different one because he has different skills.

Robert Griffin III won last years Heisman, but Andrew Luck was selected first by the Colts- probably because he is a better pocket passer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Notre Dame lol everyone knew they should never have made the bcs bowl .

Original post by DorianGrayism
Hey,

I just started watching American football, and I was reading about the Heismann Trophy.

If it is awarded to the best College player, why is that player not number 1 pick or why is someone like Tebow picked at number 25?

It is mildly similar to the NFL MVP award, except obviously the same person can't win it over and over (Peyton Manning) as the students graduate and/or declare themselves eligible. The Heisman is indeed voted on by the media, along with past winners and the public, it's a popularity contest as much as it is a contest of achievement.

Winning it doesn't guarantee you will go first but it does increase your bargaining power when it comes to negotiating a contract. Awards increase a players stock, a Heisman just increases the hype around you, makes it more likely you will go in the first round etc. If a WR wins the Heisman but the team picking first already has a stacked WR core they won't make the pick and may look to trade depending on their other requirements. The Heisman winner may also just not fit with the teams ethos and existing structure.

Original post by Malevolent
Notre Dame lol everyone knew they should never have made the bcs bowl .

That was just embarassing. The tide put them to shame.
(edited 11 years ago)
I got falcons beating hawks and packers beating 49ers ultimately a gb ne final. How confident are ya going all the way this season?

Well I'm very confident about the Texans. If we can go to Mile High and win I think the confidence boost takes gives us the superbowl win. Ultimately, the Pats and Broncos have so much to gain psychologically from the AFC Championship (Brady vs Manning, rematch from earlier in year too) that I think the winner rides their momentum and wins the Superbowl.

So I'm about 70% given that I think we have the tools to beat Houston and Denver
Original post by DorianGrayism
Hey,

There's a few reasons.

Success in college is easier than in the NFL (obviously), so just because a player is dominating in college does not mean that they have what it takes to achieve in the NFL. For example Tim Tebow's poor mechanics and poor accuracy are huge problems in the NFL, but he got away with it in college because the opposition talent is lower, allowing for more mistakes.

Secondly, teams need certain players. If the team picking first has a young and/or elite Quarterback, they might not want to pick the Heisman winner (if the winner is a QB) because they have far bigger needs elsewhere. Quite often teams don't pick the best overall player, but someone that fills a need. There's no point having the best rookie quarterback on the bench while the elite QB you already have is throwing to bad receivers.

Thirdly, a lot of other factors come into play. The combine results (like a rookie showcase where they run drills), the coaching scheme the rookie played in (they might not have played in anything like an NFL offense/defense), character concerns (if the player is always getting arrested or whatever), meetings between the team and the player all have an impact on whether or not a team likes him.

Another reason that is usually not a problem when is comes to Heisman winners but more prevalent lower down the draft order is "development". If you feel like a player plays well, but has little room to improve (known as a "low ceiling") then you might avoid taking a player who performs consistently at an OK level, and instead take a risky player who has the ability to be incredible. This is what happened with Tebow. A below average passer in most facets of the game, but he had a huge upside.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4937
Don't think the Packers will beat the 49ers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HYPERbol
Don't think the Packers will beat the 49ers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont count Aaron Rodgers out, he has the experience not kap.
Reply 4939
Dont count Aaron Rodgers out, he has the experience not kap.

That's true, but the Niners have home field advantage as well. The Packers have not been able to stop the run all season- they conceded 100 rushing yards last week, and that's the Niners strong point. It will be a close game. Niners just need to keep the ball on the floor and use play-action. The Packers need to make sure they don't become one dimensional and abandoned the run. If they do the Niners secondary will have a field day.

However, Rodgers does have something to prove- after he wasn't picked by the 49ers in 2005.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest