The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RNBen
I wouldn't say that rate is 'ridiculously high', sure, it may be higher than others, but not by a massive amount, even compared to Brady.

Brady at 2.3% and Favre at 3.3% effectively means that if both Brady and Favre threw 100 balls each, 2 of Brady's would be intercepted, compared to 3 or Favre's. I wouldn't say that is ridiculous to be honest.

Yeah but say 30 passes a game, that's 30 passes x 16 games a year which is 480 attempts a year. (The actual average passes a game is a little over 30 at 33.3 so we can round that up to 500).

500 passes a year, 3 int's for every hundred passes = 15 interceptions a year compared to 10 a year for Brady. An extra five turnovers a year could be one or two games gone. In extreme cases one turnover could lose you a game. Seeing as Favre has been in for 20 years his int rate should have dropped but it just got worse.
Original post by munn
seriously

seriously

in 20 years nobody will remember that he had one bad season
they'll remember that he started 5000 games in a row and threw for 900 yards one day after his dad died.

OK exaggeration. He will forever be remembered by me as the guy who never knew when to quit.

And of course I can't argue he wasn't a real good QB, he did have some huge moments. However if you cast him in the light of Montana, Brady and even Manning, he doesn't match up.
Reply 522
Original post by S129439
Yeah but say 30 passes a game, that's 30 passes x 16 games a year which is 480 attempts a year. (The actual average passes a game is a little over 30 at 33.3 so we can round that up to 500).

500 passes a year, 3 int's for every hundred passes = 15 interceptions a year compared to 10 a year for Brady. An extra five turnovers a year could be one or two games gone. In extreme cases one turnover could lose you a game. Seeing as Favre has been in for 20 years his int rate should have dropped but it just got worse.

However, his amount of completed passes is far superior to any of the other QBs mentioned (after averaging out how many these QBs would have made after 20 years in the game). Favre is in no way an 'above average' QB. You mention how his int. rate should go down as you get older, however his best season (rating wise) was the 09/10 season, in which he only threw 7 interceptions over a period of 16 games.

We can argue all day about interceptions, however one must also consider the offense's part in interceptions also, for example, at the Jets he threw 22 interceptions, ridiculously high, but the Jets offensive line was pretty poor.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RNBen
I wouldn't say that rate is 'ridiculously high', sure, it may be higher than others, but not by a massive amount, even compared to Brady.

Brady at 2.3% and Favre at 3.3% effectively means that if both Brady and Favre threw 100 balls each, 2 of Brady's would be intercepted, compared to 3 or Favre's. I wouldn't say that is ridiculous to be honest.

ah but if they threw 1,000,000 balls each, Brady would get intercepted 20,000 times compared to Favre's 30,000. That's quite a big difference. What of that good sir?

:beard:
jets vs packers, please.
Original post by nahm sayn?
jets vs packers, please.

HELL NO. Bears vs Steelers.
jets vs packers, please.

The woman knows what she's talking about.

Go Pack, baby!
Original post by SaltyPiratePony
HELL NO. Bears vs Steelers.

anyone but the bears, love hester but that's it. hate steelers offence, harrison is a beast but that's it.
anyone but the bears, love hester but that's it. hate steelers offence, harrison is a beast but that's it.

I hate Clay Matthews and people who bum Aaron Rodgers saying he's the best QB in the current NFL when he clearly isn't.
Reply 529
I hate Clay Matthews and people who bum Aaron Rodgers saying he's the best QB in the current NFL when he clearly isn't.

+1000
Reply 530
I like Clay Matthews and think Aaron Rodgers is the third best QB in the NFL at the moment (Manning and Brady 1&2.)

I dream of a Bears- Jets Superbowl though.

Imagine, Rex Ryan, being all dickish, and the Bears, with the most badass QB in the league (You can say he's not, but we all know he is, he's insane, maybe Eli Manning is on par) in the Super Bowl?! (say it in Deon Sanders' voice.)

But yeah, on the Favre INT thing, I think he'll be remembered as the guy who didn't know when to quit too. He wasn't an amazing QB for anything other than his longevity. You could put me in there and I'll throw downfield all day, sometimes it'll get picked, other times the WR will make a play. I just feel he was a very 50-50 QB. Most INTs ever, most TDs ever (most fumbles ever too I think?)

What I'm trying to say is, he's only got such great numbers in the good statistics because he was throwing the ball deep on every play for over 20 years.
Original post by Mann18
I like Clay Matthews and think Aaron Rodgers is the third best QB in the NFL at the moment (Manning and Brady 1&2.)

I dream of a Bears- Jets Superbowl though.

Imagine, Rex Ryan, being all dickish, and the Bears, with the most badass QB in the league (You can say he's not, but we all know he is, he's insane, maybe Eli Manning is on par) in the Super Bowl?! (say it in Deon Sanders' voice.)

But yeah, on the Favre INT thing, I think he'll be remembered as the guy who didn't know when to quit too. He wasn't an amazing QB for anything other than his longevity. You could put me in there and I'll throw downfield all day, sometimes it'll get picked, other times the WR will make a play. I just feel he was a very 50-50 QB. Most INTs ever, most TDs ever (most fumbles ever too I think?)

What I'm trying to say is, he's only got such great numbers in the good statistics because he was throwing the ball deep on every play for over 20 years.

This is probably the only time in the next 10 years where it even has a chance of happening haha!
Reply 532
This is probably the only time in the next 10 years where it even has a chance of happening haha!

:rofl: Have to agree.

I don't see the Bears making it back soon.
The Jets might, if they decide to upgrade their QB (either by making Sanchez better or drafting a better one.)
Reply 533
Original post by RNBen
However, his amount of completed passes is far superior to any of the other QBs mentioned (after averaging out how many these QBs would have made after 20 years in the game). Favre is in no way an 'above average' QB. You mention how his int. rate should go down as you get older, however his best season (rating wise) was the 09/10 season, in which he only threw 7 interceptions over a period of 16 games.

We can argue all day about interceptions, however one must also consider the offense's part in interceptions also, for example, at the Jets he threw 22 interceptions, ridiculously high, but the Jets offensive line was pretty poor.

I am extremely offended my friend request has been ignored :colonhash:
Reply 534
What are peoples thoughts for mvp's and POY's now that the regular season is over?
Original post by Hester_23
What are peoples thoughts for mvp's and POY's now that the regular season is over?

I know some people won't agree, but for his consistency throughout the regular season, Tom Brady for MVP?
Reply 536
Original post by jonnyboy1993
I know some people won't agree, but for his consistency throughout the regular season, Tom Brady for MVP?

I think the voters always lean towards the QB of a winning team so in that case i think you have to go with brady. (Not Vick!!!) Phillip Rivers was in the running until the Chargers tailed off but on the defensive side of the ball you could make a case for Clay Matthews or even John Abraham (Without him that Falcons D is a joke)
Reply 537
Original post by RabbitCFH
The woman knows what she's talking about.

Go Pack, baby!

Loving the sig, all about Clay Matthews, defensive MVP for many years to come, along with the already defensive MVP Charles Woodson.
Original post by Hester_23
I think the voters always lean towards the QB of a winning team so in that case i think you have to go with brady. (Not Vick!!!) Phillip Rivers was in the running until the Chargers tailed off but on the defensive side of the ball you could make a case for Clay Matthews or even John Abraham (Without him that Falcons D is a joke)

I guess when it comes down to it, the QB is generally the 'face' of the team, seeing as the offence is centred around them. So in the end when an offence does really well, the QB gets a lot of the credit. I do admit Vick has had a really good year too, and it would be nice to see him have a shot at MVP, and Rodgers has had a good year too, but he's so hyped by so many people and I don't actually think he is as good as he is sometimes made out to be. But for everything that other players have achieved, Brady has had one of the seasons of his career, with some amazing stats, which, given his relative inexperienced offensive line up this year, are all the more impressive.
Reply 539

Haha only reason you hate him is beacuse he's a future defensive MVP and I don't think the Pats have had one of them for a long time. Although I do like Wilfork. Fair point about Rodgers, but he'll soon be up there with Brady and Manning.

Latest