The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loves2spooge
Ah cool, I saw that but assumed it was for USA viewers only but thanks I'll keep looking. :biggrin:

Well actually I've been really busy this year so haven't had a chance to see if it works for us brits but, last year I watched most of the workouts on there so I don't think you should have any problems once it starts up tomorrow.
Original post by RNBen
The only problem for the Pats is any rookie will know they won't get game time for a while. I regularly check on the draft news but won't take too much of it too seriously. Providing the Eagles and Bears draft well then that is all that matters, though that is somewhat of a rarity :frown:

This is only true of a few positions. Despite being a very strong team, our weaknesses are large when they appear. O-line, d-line and OLB are spots where a first or second round pick could take the starting job. I expect one of our starting OLBs next year to be a rookie.
Original post by Tokyoround
Well actually I've been really busy this year so haven't had a chance to see if it works for us brits but, last year I watched most of the workouts on there so I don't think you should have any problems once it starts up tomorrow.

99% sure I watched the draft on nfl.com :/ Pretty damn sure you can however I may be mistaken.

As for the combine, I dislike it. Doesn't tell you much about a player.
Original post by RNBen
Yeah, the combine is a whole other kettle of fish, really is fun to watch the players as athletes, it is usually the only time in their careers that they can show off that level of athleticism.

Lol it makes me feel sad at how inferior we are more than anything. My best 40 time is like 4.96 and i'm pretty sure it wasn't timed as accurately as they are...

Did you or anyone here catch the Vernon Kay thing on itv? Those American high school kids were huge! If only I was born in America :frown:
Reply 924
Original post by S129439
99% sure I watched the draft on nfl.com :/ Pretty damn sure you can however I may be mistaken.

As for the combine, I dislike it. Doesn't tell you much about a player.

No, but it is more entertaining than the draft. The regular NCAA season tells you enough about the player, as well as their 3 year college career. The combine is essentially a "biggest dick" contest.
Reply 925
Genuine questions: Do all you who like American football also like/follow rugby?

What is it about the game that first made you an avid fan/follower?

Why do you prefer it to rugby?
Original post by RNBen
No, but it is more entertaining than the draft. The regular NCAA season tells you enough about the player, as well as their 3 year college career. The combine is essentially a "biggest dick" contest.

Completely true. It's hilarious watching Joe Bloggs fly up the draft boards because he ran fast, once, in a stadium, not in a game, only a few blokes watching, without pads. Makes me LOL how much people value the combine when all it acts as is a workout. Literally a workout.
Reply 927
Original post by johno090
Genuine questions: Do all you who like American football also like/follow rugby?

Yes, though only at international level.

The atmosphere of the first game I went to was immense, plus 'tailgating' is fantastic, you meet so many people who just want to have a good time, crowds are not segregated (except in huge rivalries) and everyone appreciates one another for who they support. I was at a Buccs game and sat next to a Rams fan, just chatted **** with him for the game and nothing negative was exchanged at all, both had a laugh about the game etc.

I just do, it appeals to me more, I prefer everything that surrounds the game.
Reply 928

The only rugby I follow is the six nations and the world cup; the only games I would watch is England anyway.

I have a friend that likes American football, he first got me into it. I was already a big NBA fan, and the way they both run is fairly similar, so I picked it up pretty quick.

I generally find rugby pretty boring, there's no way I could keep interested enough to follow a team or anything, unlike American football. The games are a lot more exciting!

I went to a proper rugby school so played it throughout secondary school and sixth form. I never got that into rugby though, I did boxing as well when I was younger and enjoyed that a lot more but thats just me, I prefer solo sports over teams, you get all the glory plus you know exactly what went wrong if things go bad.

I joined american football when I was a first year at uni, my housemate loved all things american and dragged me along to their first training session and I loved it. Felt like I could combine all the skills I learned playing rugby with boxing plus you get to hit people without regard for your own protection, what's not to love?

I don't follow rugby much. I will watch the world cup and six nations and any other game in which England are playing, but in terms of following a club or watching league/union games no I don't. I do however like Worcester Warriors to win seeing as I basically live in Worcester :P

At first it was a very distant misunderstood sport in the UK. I remember my uncle talking to me about it a lot which peaked my interest slightly. He gave about 20 video tapes he made as a kid which had 1980's American Football on them. I watched those, learned slowly and became interested. I used to have an old NFL game on xbox which I used to consolidate my knowledge and began to play regularly as the New England Patriots (because it says England in it and one of the players was very famous). In 2006 I watched the AFC championship game (if you don't know the NFL this is basically the champions league semi final, BIG STUFF!). The game was between the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts. I decided because the Patriots were in it that I would support them. They lost unfortunately, but ever since I have watched games and enjoyed it very much. Also, I played for the Birmingham Bulls last year and I have been to see an NFL game in Florida and saw the Patriots at Wembley in 2009. Ever since my love for the Patriots has grown, and with it my love for the NFL has grown too.

I don't know really. Why does anyone prefer any sport to another? Just like it. Perhaps it's the logical and analytical nature of it? Also with the Draft and free-agent system, no one team dominates for too long. Add that to the showy primetime nature applied to the game, it has a huge hype around it. I think also the fact that I like to play american football but I don't like to play rugby had a huge impact on it.

Please ask more questions if you want. Plenty of people on the thread will help!
Reply 931
So yesterday I watched Friday Night Lights and Any Given Sunday, today will probably be Remember the Titans and Invincible. :biggrin:
Original post by RNBen
So yesterday I watched Friday Night Lights and Any Given Sunday, today will probably be Remember the Titans and Invincible. :biggrin:

cool. kid. lol!

I've only watched Invincible.
Reply 933
Original post by S129439
cool. kid. lol!

I've only watched Invincible.

FNL and AGS aren't amazing. Got a few good scenes but other than that they are pretty meh. Invincible is good. Remember the Titans is possibly, in my opinion, up there with the best sports movies ever made.
Original post by RNBen
FNL and AGS aren't amazing. Got a few good scenes but other than that they are pretty meh. Invincible is good. Remember the Titans is possibly, in my opinion, up there with the best sports movies ever made.

I will give it a watch some day :P

You watched any of the combine today/ I'm mildly interested in the O-Line prospects. Out of all the positions, the O and D Line show you the most in the combine.
We are Marshall makes me cry everytime. So does remember the titans tbh. I'm such a wimp.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 936
Original post by S129439

You watched any of the combine today/ I'm mildly interested in the O-Line prospects. Out of all the positions, the O and D Line show you the most in the combine.

Been out most of the day and am heading to work in a minute or two so not seen much to be honest. :frown:

We are Marshall makes me cry everytime. So does remember the titans tbh. I'm such a wimp.

We are Marshall is a classic.
Original post by RNBen

Any Given Sunday is great, Friday Night Lights is pretty good, Remember the Titans is really good and haven't seen Invincible. We Are Marshall is damn good too, I almost cried on it. Gridiron Gang was susprisingly good too, the remake of The Longest Yard wasn't bad either. And obviously The Playmakers series - amazing.
Original post by S129439

I've had it on in the background listening to bits. I'm only really interested in guys from USC though and the superstars :tongue:
I've had it on in the background listening to bits. I'm only really interested in guys from USC though and the superstars :tongue:

Fair enough. Mike Pouncey is fast for a center haha!

Anyhoo, tomorrow is the fun day. WR, DB, QB. That's where the interest is!

Latest