The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddy__power
What boots do linemen wear? Rugby? Low/High ankle?

You should definitely wear high ankle, especially since you're a bigger guy. Lots of sideways steps combined with dodgy ground and being heavy = high chance of ankle sprains.

My ankles are totally ruined, I'm waiting on some physio and I will have to strap heavily in the coming season.
Original post by Hedgeman49
You should definitely wear high ankle, especially since you're a bigger guy. Lots of sideways steps combined with dodgy ground and being heavy = high chance of ankle sprains.

My ankles are totally ruined, I'm waiting on some physio and I will have to strap heavily in the coming season.

Glad I thought to ask the question!

Not had boots for ages, hopefully I can pick up a reasonably cheap pair from somewhere.

Not had boots for ages, hopefully I can pick up a reasonably cheap pair from somewhere.

Try looking on the nike store US and eastbay. Then look on Ebay US for a cheaper pair of the same boots. Check out EP Sports in the UK too. It's run by Merseyside Nighthawks receiver, Joe Black.
Original post by EightFive
Try looking on the nike store US and eastbay. Then look on Ebay US for a cheaper pair of the same boots. Check out EP Sports in the UK too. It's run by Merseyside Nighthawks receiver, Joe Black.

*Puts BAFRA hat on*
Also remember that you can't have studs that are longer than 1/2 an inch or that are made of metal. "Blades" are also not allowed. Very few officials check footwear but if you are spotted wearing boots that flagrantly break the rules or are a danger to your opponent (rough edges on studs, chipped or broken studs) then you can be disqualified from the game until you change them.

Edit: If you buy special football cleats from the USA then they will almost certainly meet these regulations as we use the same rules that they do.
(edited 12 years ago)
*Puts BAFRA hat on*
Also remember that you can't have studs that are longer than 1/2 an inch or that are made of metal. "Blades" are also not allowed. Very few officials check footwear but if you are spotted wearing boots that flagrantly break the rules or are a danger to your opponent (rough edges on studs, chipped or broken studs) then you can be disqualified from the game until you change them.

Edit: If you buy special football cleats from the USA then they will almost certainly meet these regulations as we use the same rules that they do.

They sound expensive, I will stick to Rugby boots.

My studs can't be made of metal? I've never had studs made of anything else....

Edit: like these? https://secure.footballamerica.co.uk/store/product.php?id_product=297
(edited 12 years ago)
They sound expensive, I will stick to Rugby boots.

My studs can't be made of metal? I've never had studs made of anything else....

This is why rugby boots aren't great unless you change the studs on them to plastic ones. You are allowed to use steel-tipped studs with low-carbon steel (don't ask me, I'm just reading from the rulebook).

Actually looking again, it seems that metal studs may be allowed as long as they are detachable... non-detachable metal studs are definitely disallowed. Unless they count metal as a material that "chips or fractures", which isn't allowed in any form.

...Sometimes I wish they'd make the rules a little less murky.

Yes, those are fine. I'd say that any of the cleats on that page would be fine (although you may want to look for some high ankle ones elsewhere, they don't have any there).

My own cleats are detachable plastic ones, they've lasted me two seasons so far.

However as I said before you would be very unlucky to be pulled up on it so if money is a factor then don't worry too much. As long as they aren't dangerous most refs will probably be alright with them.
This is why rugby boots aren't great unless you change the studs on them to plastic ones. You are allowed to use steel-tipped studs with low-carbon steel (don't ask me, I'm just reading from the rulebook).

Actually looking again, it seems that metal studs may be allowed as long as they are detachable... non-detachable metal studs are definitely disallowed. Unless they count metal as a material that "chips or fractures", which isn't allowed in any form.

...Sometimes I wish they'd make the rules a little less murky.

Bloody hell. So awkward! The thing is I'm not sure if I will do AF or rugby so need boots that can be used for either. Awkward rules :colonhash:
Yes, those are fine. I'd say that any of the cleats on that page would be fine (although you may want to look for some high ankle ones elsewhere, they don't have any there).

My own cleats are detachable plastic ones, they've lasted me two seasons so far.

However as I said before you would be very unlucky to be pulled up on it so if money is a factor then don't worry too much. As long as they aren't dangerous most refs will probably be alright with them.

Yea that was just what came up on google :smile:

That's good to know. I will have a look around. I will avoid blades obviously though.

Money is always an issue :frown:
Bloody hell. So awkward! The thing is I'm not sure if I will do AF or rugby so need boots that can be used for either. Awkward rules :colonhash:

Yeah... one thing you could do is get a pair with detachable studs and then keep one set of metal studs and one set of plastic studs and swap them as required (or just keep the plastic ones in your kit bag in case you get told to change them).
Sports Direct were selling Reebok american football high ankle boots for £20.... Worth seeing if they still do, was an online offer :smile:
Yeah... one thing you could do is get a pair with detachable studs and then keep one set of metal studs and one set of plastic studs and swap them as required (or just keep the plastic ones in your kit bag in case you get told to change them).

That sounds like a good idea actually. I will have a look around online to see if I can find anything as cheap as what jimble mentions as well, that would be grand.
Original post by jimbles
Sports Direct were selling Reebok american football high ankle boots for £20.... Worth seeing if they still do, was an online offer :smile:

Thanks I'll have a look :smile:
Reply 1554
I'm a huge Atlanta Falcons fan, so I guess I should say hi...
Original post by Mufasaa

awesome!

great team.

remind me of the pats... explosive offense, jittery defense, fell short in the play-offs.
Reply 1556
Original post by Mufasaa

Did you like the Julio Jones pick ? Seemed a big gamble to me trading up that much for him when he has had some problems with his hands but if he is the real deal people will forget the ransom. Will be hard for him the longer the lockout carries on too and he can't be coached in proper surroundings
Am I the only one who isn't drinking the Matt Ryan koolaid? Yeah he's good in the regular season but he doesn't seem to like the playoffs. My boy Joe Flacco on the other hand (who people don't rate as highly) has taken us to the AFC championship game and two divisional rounds in his three years with the club, and with less offensive weapons around him.

I know which one I'd rather have.
(edited 12 years ago)
Am I the only one who isn't drinking the Matt Ryan koolaid? Yeah he's good in the regular season but he doesn't seem to like the playoffs. My boy Joe Flacco on the other hand (who people don't rate as highly) has taken us to the AFC championship game, divisional round and championship game again in his three years with the club, and with less offensive weapons around him.

I have to agree. Ryan seemed to crumble under the pressure, he threw 2 picks against the Pack in probably the most crucial game of the season. And I'm sure he has the nickname "Iceman" or something like that :confused: I'd take Flacco any day.
Reply 1559
Am I the only one who isn't drinking the Matt Ryan koolaid? Yeah he's good in the regular season but he doesn't seem to like the playoffs. My boy Joe Flacco on the other hand (who people don't rate as highly) has taken us to the AFC championship game, divisional round and championship game again in his three years with the club, and with less offensive weapons around him.

but equally sanchez has gotten us to the championship game in both his years....but id still rather have flaco or ryan

i dont think you can place all the blame on ryan for losing at that stage as you have to remember they are playing the best teams in the playoffs and anything can happen to anyone - case in point seahawks vs saints

Latest