Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question on driving test possibly being cancelled a second time in a row. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, This is my first post so I'm sorry if I get it wrong; here's the situation:

So I was supposed to have my driving test last wedsneday, I even made it to the waiting room, but was told my driving test was cancelled due to the examiner being five minutes late. :confused::mad:

The waiting list in my area is currently in febuary so I was ecstatic to find a cancellation for this thursday on saturday... yes there was snow outside but for where I am, we seem to only get it mildy, and i checked two weather forecasts and more wasn't due for my area....but today it changed, and seeing as there'll be more snow I doubt it'll melt in time.

My problem lies not simply in waiting, I have systemic lupus - I am currently reliant on other people to leave the house, as the maximum I can walk in a day is around 10 mins. That's not long enough to get me to my nearest bus stop. So the prospect of being trapped in the house till febuary is distressing when there are cancellations, however will I get no priority even if this second test is cancelled? Also, the lupus means the stress of last week, meant my body might have to decided to attack something else, fingers crossed it's just an infection and not anything serious but this is what happens when I get stressed, and having to check for cancellations...well my shoulder mucles are in so much pain right now. I don't want to be in this much pain again!

Sorry long rant, but do you think if my test gets cancelled a second time, if i complained to the DSA and explained my situation, they would try and stick me in their trying to reschedule within three weeks time... otherwise I'm looking to be trapped in my house till mid feb ? I didn't argue with the examiner about the five minutes, as if someone doesn't want to test you, I didn't think it was sensible in trying to change her mind, but my test was at 2:05, the next test was at 2:42 so she wouldn't have been back in time for that if it started on time even, so she'd be in the next 3:05 slot. So five minutes shouldn't have mattered? As she'd still have had 15 minutes between tests :confused: So it seemed like a really stupid reason to cancel to my mind. Thank you for your patience in even reading this!

ReputationRep:
    Its not really their fault that theres snow everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfirekittyx)
    Hi, This is my first post so I'm sorry if I get it wrong; here's the situation:

So I was supposed to have my driving test last wedsneday, I even made it to the waiting room, but was told my driving test was cancelled due to the examiner being five minutes late. :confused::mad:

The waiting list in my area is currently in febuary so I was ecstatic to find a cancellation for this thursday on saturday... yes there was snow outside but for where I am, we seem to only get it mildy, and i checked two weather forecasts and more wasn't due for my area....but today it changed, and seeing as there'll be more snow I doubt it'll melt in time.

My problem lies not simply in waiting, I have systemic lupus - I am currently reliant on other people to leave the house, as the maximum I can walk in a day is around 10 mins. That's not long enough to get me to my nearest bus stop. So the prospect of being trapped in the house till febuary is distressing when there are cancellations, however will I get no priority even if this second test is cancelled? Also, the lupus means the stress of last week, meant my body might have to decided to attack something else, fingers crossed it's just an infection and not anything serious but this is what happens when I get stressed, and having to check for cancellations...well my shoulder mucles are in so much pain right now. I don't want to be in this much pain again!

Sorry long rant, but do you think if my test gets cancelled a second time, if i complained to the DSA and explained my situation, they would try and stick me in their trying to reschedule within three weeks time... otherwise I'm looking to be trapped in my house till mid feb ? I didn't argue with the examiner about the five minutes, as if someone doesn't want to test you, I didn't think it was sensible in trying to change her mind, but my test was at 2:05, the next test was at 2:42 so she wouldn't have been back in time for that if it started on time even, so she'd be in the next 3:05 slot. So five minutes shouldn't have mattered? As she'd still have had 15 minutes between tests :confused: So it seemed like a really stupid reason to cancel to my mind. Thank you for your patience in even reading this!
    Hopefully the test will go ahead. So hang in there- it hasnt been cancelled just yet.
    But if it does get cancelled then id contact the dsa and see what they say about it. I know they cant really help the snow but it is a bit bad cancelling 2 tests in a row and the examiner being 5 minutes late is a bit bad really. Id contact them and explain what has happened with your 2 cancelled tests, your condition etc and why you need to be able to drive etc see what they say. Its worth a try. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfirekittyx)
    there was snow outside but for where I am, we seem to only get it mildy, and i checked two weather forecasts and more wasn't due for my area....but today it changed, and seeing as there'll be more snow I doubt it'll melt in time.
    That's the problem everyone is having. When cancelled tests are rebooked too soon, the weather is still bad and there isn't time for the ice and snow to melt. Invariably there will be another cancellation unless such a booking is made for time when it's reasonable to expect the weather to be warmer, or unless temperatures climb quickly this week, which isn't looking likely.

My problem lies not simply in waiting, I have systemic lupus - I am currently reliant on other people to leave the house, as the maximum I can walk in a day is around 10 mins. That's not long enough to get me to my nearest bus stop. So the prospect of being trapped in the house till febuary is distressing
    Sorry to hear that. In that case, how did you cope last winter without a driving licence?

when there are cancellations, however will I get no priority even if this second test is cancelled?
    The trouble is, there is no "priority" system as any and all cancellations happen purely by chance. Finding one that's suitable is like a lottery. You're either lucky or you're not. There is software available that will do all the cancellation checking for you (search this forum for details) but again, it merely increases your chances and the whole procedure is precisely that: chance.

if i complained to the DSA and explained my situation, they would try and stick me in their trying to reschedule within three weeks time...
    Whilst they will be sympathetic, they cannot put you into a space that simply does not exist. As I said earlier, gaps occur purely by chance and even if one appeared, there are hundreds of others all falling over themselves to grab it, all believing that their need is as great as yours.

I didn't argue with the examiner about the five minutes, as if someone doesn't want to test you, I didn't think it was sensible in trying to change her mind, but my test was at 2:05, the next test was at 2:42 so she wouldn't have been back in time for that if it started on time even, so she'd be in the next 3:05 slot. So five minutes shouldn't have mattered? As she'd still have had 15 minutes between tests :confused: So it seemed like a really stupid reason to cancel to my mind.
    The 2:42 wouldn't have been a slot taken by that particular examiner. It sounds like your centre is run on staggered times where half the examiners go out at one time, then the other half go out while the first lot are still partway round. Your examiner on that day will have run to a strict 57 minute slot, which includes the test itself, the report writing at the end, the examiner's necessary comfort break between tests (which they often forego) not to mention all the faffing around that some candidates do to waste time, such as arriving late themselves, not having their correct address on their licence, needing to go to the toilet, not being able to read the number plate then needing the tape measure, then not being able to follow directions and going miles off route. Examiners are under strict instructions to allow up to a 5 minute grace period for all such eventualities, but no more than that. If her last test ran late and had a mammoth report to write that took her over the 5 minute grace period after 2:05, then your test was the unlucky one.

ReputationRep:
    Advisor summed it up well. There's really nothing you can do unfortunately except hope the weather is ok.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou all for replying you've been so helpful!

I coped last winter because I was attempting to stay in school. I wasn't stuck in the house all day feeling sorry for myself :P

However I am now oddly enough finding myself in the reverse situation, turns out my kidneys are infected. I'm still very weak and in pain, especially when sitting upright and I would be quite relieved if it got cancelled.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.