The Student Room Group

male home economics teacher :)

Hi,

I am a small ordinary guy. I've had a dream ever since I was 6 and it was to be a teacher. When I started secondary school I loved home economics and Jamie Oliver has been my absolute role model. I always used to sit and think to myself in Home Economics classes, why is the stereotype of this subject for girls? Why is it that the general perception of the subject is girls in aprons etc. I was always top of my class, loved the home economics teachers i had and my lecturer said u need to bring home economics into the 21st century and break this barrier. I was encourage boys not to b afraid to do the subject because they are male. whats gender? i wana instil the belief in their ability.

Truth is, ive applied for Strathcylde for teaching Home Ec. Am petrified as im sure il prob b the only male applying for it. I really wana stand out, have my heart set on scotland. Do you think that gender is on my side? how will the interviewers react to see an actual guy applying for the profession?

thank-you for your time and consideration. i truely mean that :smile:
I doubt you will be the only guy applying for it, and I also doubt the admissions tutors or interviewers will be, "Oh no, a boy - he must be gay, don't let him in here."

If you want to be a home economics teacher (I had a male one; he was good), go for it. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi there, Garry here. I trained as a Middle School Home Economics Teacher, at Northern Counties College of Education, back in 1973 - 1976. I was the only male, in the college studying Home Ec' (Gordon Sumner(?)/aka Sting was also there). There were no others over the three years I was there. I think I was the first or second man in the UK to be trained as a Home Ec' Teacher. I had long hair and a beard (still do, but not much hair). My own authority turned me down. It's been a long hard road, but I have now done 35 years in teaching, time to go.
Best wishes for the future.
Garry

Latest