Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Is anybody going to apply for an English and creative writing course?
    I love English and do want to pursue it as a career but I want to take English and creative writing as a degree, I was wondering if it’s a good one to do?
    Any help would be awesome

ReputationRep:
    If you want more replies you should probably ask a mod to move this to the English/General University section.

But yes, I've applied for English lit and Creative Writing. Whether you think it's a good degree to do depends on what you want really, if you want a larger focus on creative writing then yeah it probably is! Just bear in mind you can do creative writing modules on most English Lit courses. Sometimes I wish I'd applied for straight lit because sometimes I have a fear that the creative writing aspect seems a bit 'mickey mouse'. I worry that creative writing is pointless sometimes as I don't actually need part of my degree to be in creative writing because I'll write regardless. I applied for creative writing, yes because I love it and I'd like to think I'm good at it but also because it means I don't have to seek out workshops and people to read my writing because there'll be a ready-made group of students also interested in writing and lecturers. But, again, you could show your creative writing to a lecturer when you're doing a English Lit degree. If you love writing but need a bit of a push to actually produce anything (like me!) I'd advise doing a creative writing aspect to your degree because I'd imagine it would be more directed. If you just have a vague interest in writing then I'd either advise you to go to a few workshops first and see if you enjoy the structure, because that's probably what it will be like at uni and also look up the creative writing modules straight English Lit courses offer.
    The thing about English and Creative Writing is it's a relatively new subject and so it's mostly... not so academic institutions that offer it. However, UEA has a very highly acclaimed creative writing course (Ian McEwan did his MA there) and Warwick's creative writing course is also meant to be amazing so if you can get AAA/AAB at A level and submit a kick-*** portfolio, I'd advise applying! I'd also like to plug Lancaster's Creative Writing & Practice Course and Kent's course as well!

Obviously no-one can tell you want to do so just do some research and be certain it's what you want to do because the 'best' universities only do straight English Lit and you don't want to apply and regret your choices. Remember, you can always do an MA in Creative Writing as well as Creative Writing modules. That's what I'd advise to be honest, despite what I'm doing! I really wish I'd applied for some pure English Literature courses too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    If you want more replies you should probably ask a mod to move this to the English/General University section.

But yes, I've applied for English lit and Creative Writing. Whether you think it's a good degree to do depends on what you want really, if you want a larger focus on creative writing then yeah it probably is! Just bear in mind you can do creative writing modules on most English Lit courses. Sometimes I wish I'd applied for straight lit because sometimes I have a fear that the creative writing aspect seems a bit 'mickey mouse'. I worry that creative writing is pointless sometimes as I don't actually need part of my degree to be in creative writing because I'll write regardless. I applied for creative writing, yes because I love it and I'd like to think I'm good at it but also because it means I don't have to seek out workshops and people to read my writing because there'll be a ready-made group of students also interested in writing and lecturers. But, again, you could show your creative writing to a lecturer when you're doing a English Lit degree. If you love writing but need a bit of a push to actually produce anything (like me!) I'd advise doing a creative writing aspect to your degree because I'd imagine it would be more directed. If you just have a vague interest in writing then I'd either advise you to go to a few workshops first and see if you enjoy the structure, because that's probably what it will be like at uni and also look up the creative writing modules straight English Lit courses offer.
    The thing about English and Creative Writing is it's a relatively new subject and so it's mostly... not so academic institutions that offer it. However, UEA has a very highly acclaimed creative writing course (Ian McEwan did his MA there) and Warwick's creative writing course is also meant to be amazing so if you can get AAA/AAB at A level and submit a kick-*** portfolio, I'd advise applying! I'd also like to plug Lancaster's Creative Writing & Practice Course and Kent's course as well!

Obviously no-one can tell you want to do so just do some research and be certain it's what you want to do because the 'best' universities only do straight English Lit and you don't want to apply and regret your choices. Remember, you can always do an MA in Creative Writing as well as Creative Writing modules. That's what I'd advise to be honest, despite what I'm doing! I really wish I'd applied for some pure English Literature courses too!
    Yeah I'll ask them to do that, thanks how do you do it though?

I do want to focus on creative writing, although I too was worried about the micky mouse thing, but I don't care about that anymore, you can only choose your own path. This has made me want to do it even more !! So thank you !!
    And good luck with Kent, I've heard it's fantastic there!! Thank you again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.