Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who can I go to for help with knowing what financial help I can get? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to uni this year and plan on attending the university of Reading to study BA archaeology last year.

I am 17, my household income is very low and have aspergers syndrome which makes note taking a real challenge for me and I heard you can apply for money from the DSA to get help from a note taker. But I do not know if I am entitled to this, the information is not very clear to me at all. It is all very complicated.

Who can I ask for help with this to tell me what I am entitled to?

Thanks for any help :-)

ReputationRep:
    Direct.gov should have all this information available.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm would be your first point of call.

If you have any specific questions, ask in this forum, or contact your local Citizens Advice Beurau/Connexxions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but I have read everything on there, I really need a person to explain it to me.

ReputationRep:
    You need to call Student Finance then.

ReputationRep:
    You can register online at studentfinance.direct.gov.uk to receive the maximum grant and loan available.

Fast loans UK

ReputationRep:
    When you apply for your loans etc you indicate that you wish to apply for DSA. You apply on paper and then go for an assessment to decide what, if any, support you are entitled to. You will need evidence of your condition ie statement of special educational need or doctors' letters, etc..
    You say you have read "everything out there". Does that include this
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_183900.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maigre)
    I am applying to uni this year and plan on attending the university of Reading to study BA archaeology last year.

I am 17, my household income is very low and have aspergers syndrome which makes note taking a real challenge for me and I heard you can apply for money from the DSA to get help from a note taker. But I do not know if I am entitled to this, the information is not very clear to me at all. It is all very complicated.

Who can I ask for help with this to tell me what I am entitled to?

Thanks for any help :-)
    Ask someone at school/college. They might know what you can claim or if they dont they may be able to point you in the right direction. And i know they may be a bit rubbish at times, but the student loans compant may be able to give you advice too. The CAB also give advice on benefits etc so they may be worth a try.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for all the help everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.