Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stock Investing - Teach me EVERYTHING about the basics please!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would love to get into it, have a fair bit of money saved for it. Please teach me the basics of it! Anything and everything you know, just post it to me as it all helps!

Thanks so much for reader (and posting!)
    Toby

ReputationRep:
    Stocks and shares are very high risk, it's almost a gamble, so unless you know what you're really doing, I really wouldn't advise investing. Also you should only invest if you have a considerable amount of money (£5,000) + otherwise your return will be very minimal. Do you have these monies? If not, just stick your money in an ISA as it is low risk and safer.

ReputationRep:
    *subscribing* as my shares are going into my own name in the coming few weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Stocks and shares are very high risk, it's almost a gamble, so unless you know what you're really doing, I really wouldn't advise investing. Also you should only invest if you have a considerable amount of money (£5,000) + otherwise your return will be very minimal. Do you have these monies? If not, just stick your money in an ISA as it is low risk and safer.
    I read that actually, investing in stock actually almost always guarantees a return? The problem is, people see the stock falling and they panic and sell the stock, however, if you keep the stock in for long enough, ignoring the falls and waiting, it's pretty much always going to rise again. In fact, I read it was better in the long term than investing in bonds.

I'm just regurgitating what I read in a book quite a while ago, I don't actually know anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Which book :teeth:. I'm thinking of investing but need to learn everything I can before I spend the monies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    Which book :teeth:. I'm thinking of investing but need to learn everything I can before I spend the monies.
    Don't worry, it wasn't a book about investing, it was a pop psychology book about decision making and the brain.

I'll give you the best advice on stock investing, "TSR is not the place to learn such things".

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by You Failed)
      I read that actually, investing in stock actually almost always guarantees a return? The problem is, people see the stock falling and they panic and sell the stock, however, if you keep the stock in for long enough, ignoring the falls and waiting, it's pretty much always going to rise again. In fact, I read it was better in the long term than investing in bonds.

I'm just regurgitating what I read in a book quite a while ago, I don't actually know anything about it.
      If you invest in an index (like the FTSE 100), then that's usually true. In shares themselves, it's not necessarily the case.

EDIT: Can I write anything without some ******** negging me? [Rhetorical question.]

ReputationRep:
      That is utter nonsense. My uncle invested 80,000 euros in Mercedes in 1997, those shares today are worth 60,000. You must have mis-read or do not understand how the system works.
      Euros weren't around in 1997...

ReputationRep:
      1. Post thread on TSR
      2. Put all your money on internet strangers advice
      3. ?????
      4. Profit!!

ReputationRep:
      Don't worry, it wasn't a book about investing, it was a pop psychology book about decision making and the brain.
      Well clearly you have no right to be dishing out information about something you don't understand.

ReputationRep:
      From my experience people who have to ask about stuff like "how do i make money trading stocks" are unlikely to succeed. I doubt anyone successful here started a thread asking to be spoon fed information. More likely that they did their own research and had an interest in finance beyond "i have some money saved up now so i guess i should invest it if it's not too much effort".

If anyone does affiliate marketing the "how do i make money online" forum posts will be familiar...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cybergrad)
      I'll give you the best advice on stock investing, "TSR is not the place to learn such things".
      True.

You can do it completely free, as long as you don't look like a thirteen year old find out if your local university offers such courses and just follow the lectures, they would never know. It worked for me when I was studying for my engineering degree, some times I would just walk in to the Economics department and follow some of their lectures and I was getting the handouts as well. Or just buy a book and start with the basics.

ReputationRep:
        I was using current currencies to prove a point. It doesn't matter what currency he traded in.
        :facepalm:

ReputationRep:

The stock market is a very high risk way of investing money and i dont know where you read this over optimistic view of the situation but my guess is it was probably in an advertisement for a stockbroking company. It is a well known fact that investing in stocks is a legal form of gambling. The reason for this is that while business returns can be estimated, they are dependant on so many different factors that predictions are nearly always wrong. Even if you do happen across a flourishing business to invest in and your shares do rise in price, every business reaches its peak at some point and if you dont identify that and sell at the right time you end up with less than you started out with.

Basically OP if you have spare money and have no important plans on what you want it for then you may be able to afford to take the risk but its by no means a method of investment with any kind of guaranteed return and its not the kind of thing you can put your money in, forget about it and get back double a few years later. It takes constant thought and monitoring in order to decide when to sell etc. If you do decide to go ahead with it make sure you get a reliable broker who knows what he's doing otherwise its really just a gamble and there are quicker ways of doing that.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
        So pretty much the best book to take advice from in regards to trading.

ReputationRep:
        Just put it into FTSE linked ISA, UK equities are cheap at the moment and 2011 should be good.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Zakky)
        :facepalm:
        What's your problem?

ReputationRep:
        Well clearly you have no right to be dishing out information about something you don't understand.
        Harsh mate. And what's with everyone going 'Don't ask TSR spoon feed informations unlikely to succeed!!1'. There should be someone who knows about it and maybe give the OP some pointers on where to start. It's unlikely anyone would take it all literally and spend all their money on the advice of some random on the internet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.