Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    anyone into boxing?

i've always wanted to get into it - my old gym did classes but i never attended because i was always worried with what to expect

i'm only looking to train with the punch bag - not any ring work or anything involving an opponent tbh

how do you find it? why do you do it?

ps you don't need legs for it do you? i have a bad knee from a previous injury

ReputationRep:
    I might give it a look on 26th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    anyone into boxing?

i've always wanted to get into it - my old gym did classes but i never attended because i was always worried with what to expect

i'm only looking to train with the punch bag - not any ring work or anything involving an opponent tbh

It's amazing. A true man's sport. Just go to the beginners' classes, they don't put you in a ring with an opponent for ages lol don't worry. Training with a bag is some of the best exercise you can do, and one of the few things which will actually develop your upper back and posterior delts etc. (which can be a ***** to train with weights).

How bad are we talking? And yes you do need legs they are crucial. In fact, people often get sore knees and ankles from the jerky movement. It's a full-body sport.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean - being light on your feel and agile is absolutely crucial.

ReputationRep:
    ah bugger really?

i was just thinking of getting into it to relieve some stress to be honest, punch a bag about for a while lol meanwhile anything to improve the fitness is always good - i like to try new ways to have fun with fitness, getting a bit bored of doing standard cardio at the gym

ps i'm female :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    anyone into boxing?

I don't know what it is like a the gym but I went to a boxing club for 3 years. I was the most intense exercise I have ever done, we did bags, running, skiping, press ups etc and sparing mostly. It is amazing how tiring punch a bag as hard as you can for a minute is. I was sick in the toliet loads of times from exhuastion.

ReputationRep:
    ah bugger really?

i was just thinking of getting into it to relieve some stress to be honest, punch a bag about for a while lol meanwhile anything to improve the fitness is always good - i like to try new ways to have fun with fitness, getting a bit bored of doing standard cardio at the gym

You don't have to be some hard geezer to get involved in boxing. Amateur boxing is different to the fights you see on tv where two people kick the **** out of each other.

If you are thinking of getting involved try to find local stables [the name given to a boxing gym], they will be able to guide you better than anybody on here. I do advise that you invest in handwraps... the one time I didn't wear mine I ended up breaking 3 different bones.

Good luck.

Edit: Punchbags you can pick up for next to nothing, I recommend speedballs as well, stringed if you can get them as they really work you hard on speed and accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Edit: Punchbags you can pick up for next to nothing
    They are pretty heavy though no? I wanted one but concluded that the only place it could go was not built to take that kind of weight.

ReputationRep:
    i was just thinking of getting into it to relieve some stress to be honest, punch a bag about for a while lol
    Well, if you aren't planning on competing then and you won't be jumping about a ring then your knee might be fine for just standing and punching - i don't know how bad it is. Might look a bit weird being static though!

I recently moved to a place with a punchbag - its loads of fun. You can kick it too - really go to town on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    They are pretty heavy though no? I wanted one but concluded that the only place it could go was not built to take that kind of weight.
    I mean't they are cheap. Heavy bags can be in terms of weight, you can get lighter bags [around 25kg or so] also.

ReputationRep:
    You get most of your punching power from your legs

Please don't do some ridiculous boxercise class at a gym, find out about your local boxing gym and go along, you'll get a MUCH better workout then you would in some class, its a very intense tough work, but pays fantastic dividends and gives you loads of self confidence

I highly recommend it

Boxing gyms of course are a primarily male environment but we do have some females at my boxing gym and they're very welcome at (almost) all boxing gyms so don't let it put you off

Oh and read this http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...cs?INTCMP=SRCH you should find it interesting

ReputationRep:
    only using a heavy bag would not give you the full experience of the sport.
    if you join you should try out sparring after a week or two

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.