Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm having a lot of problems atm. I had a turbulent home life as a child and parents with some serious problems. I was badly bullied throughout high school and its left its marks.

I've recently started having panic attacks again and feeling anxious a lot more. This is making it difficult for me to sleep and I'm starting to really distance myself from all around me.

I know none of this is healthy and I was told loooong ago that I should see a therapist. Is it possible to see one through Uni? Im at Edinburgh btw. It's just I think it'll help a lot more than the sleeping pills I was on before, but obviously I can't afford to pay. :/

ReputationRep:
    the rapist at uni? :yikes:

ReputationRep:
    Your university will probably have a counselling service; you might have to wait a bit, but it will be free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yolly)
    Your university will probably have a counselling service; you might have to wait a bit, but it will be free
    Yeah they do. Does anyone have an experiences of a counsellor. I read someone on here thought that theirs made them feel like they had to "prove themselves" and just made the whole thing worse.

ReputationRep:
    I do - it's been pretty useful. Mine doesn't put me under any pressure to prove myself.

Just the act of talking about your problems makes them seem more manageable in size, so after an hour my mind isn't spinning from problem to problem so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I do - it's been pretty useful. Mine doesn't put me under any pressure to prove myself.

Just the act of talking about your problems makes them seem more manageable in size, so after an hour my mind isn't spinning from problem to problem so much.
    Yeah that's kind of what I needed to hear. Although I'm really not sure what to do...go to the GP because of all my panic attacks and night terrors...or go to a counsellor about the problems behind them....arrrrrrgh

ReputationRep:
    Does it need to be strictly one or the other?

The uni councillor is probably on vacation till the first week of Jan (mine is) so I guess you'd be able to get a GP appointment first.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.