Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2nd year chemistry student and I just can't hack it. I could probably learn the stuff, but I have a heart condition and find it extremely difficult to wake up for my lectures. This means I've fallen behind to the point that I can't catch up. I've pretty much failed.

I don't want to sit the year again because nothing's going to change. Earlier this semester I had a mental breakdown and I feel like I've gone insane. I saw a counsellor and it just didn't help. I feel just like giving up on life tbh. The only thing keeping me going is my girlfriend.

What do I do? Chemistry is my passion, I've worked in labs during my gap year and there's nothing else I want to do. How can I help myself? Are there any other ways of doing my dream job? Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    Yo,
    I'm in the same boat.

Don't stress. Just attack a single set of lecture notes, and really get to grips with it. keep doing that, maybe one a day, and as you start to get to grips with the material again, you should find your passion return.

If you're set on quitting uni, think carefully, as you're already 2/3 of the way there. It's meant to get tougher, but then if you persevere you'll be at the end before you know it.

Maybe consult the doctors about your whole sleeping thing, and see if they can give you something.

Finally, its great to have a girlfriend to support you in a bad time, but ultimately, don't become emotionally dependent on her, as it will stress her out too. The decision is ultimately in your hands, and she will most likely support you either way.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemistryguy)
    I'm a 2nd year chemistry student and I just can't hack it. I could probably learn the stuff, but I have a heart condition and find it extremely difficult to wake up for my lectures. This means I've fallen behind to the point that I can't catch up. I've pretty much failed.

I don't want to sit the year again because nothing's going to change. Earlier this semester I had a mental breakdown and I feel like I've gone insane. I saw a counsellor and it just didn't help. I feel just like giving up on life tbh. The only thing keeping me going is my girlfriend.

What do I do? Chemistry is my passion, I've worked in labs during my gap year and there's nothing else I want to do. How can I help myself? Are there any other ways of doing my dream job? Thank you so much.
    My gfs big sister has chronic colitis (spelling may be wrong) basically it's an awful bowel condition. She's on the toilet around 15 times a day. You have no idea how many weeks of lectures she missed but she informed the university and spent all the time she wasn't on the toilet going over her lectures online and doing extra research.

She got a 2:1 1st year and a 1st second. She is hoping to finish the degree with a first and has plans to work from home because of her condition.

I'm not saying just buck up or anything. I'm just saying as hard as it is having these conditions. With a little hard work and perseverance you can pull through. Sometimes when I'm at my gfs I see her sister at her desk. She's in awful pain sometimes while working. I have massive respect for her.

She's never been able to sit through a lecture without at least leaving twice.

There are many jobs you can do from home involving chemistry. My advice to you would be to persevere to it. I know you've fallen behind but with some hard work I'm sure you can pass the year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I know what you all mean, I should just buckle down and study, but I already feel like I've failed and I just can't motivate myself. To be honest, I'm scared of doing a lot of work, because what if I do and I just fail anyway? If that happened I couldn't cope with myself and I honestly think I'd just give up on life.

Everyone else is already well ahead of me; we did not learn organic Chemsitry in my high school (I went to an international school and they didn't teach it) and 50% of the uni course is based on this. So I came there knowing hardly anything about it and because of this do terribly on the exams. I had to resit in September, and when there was only pressure on those modules I did okay. It's just that they're all close together and I don't get enough sleep and don't have enough time, it's sending me insane. I feel like I'm a cop out who just can't handle living like an adult.

What do you guys think I should do for the year? The second semester is based heavily on the first term's work, and I just don't feel like I have enough time to learn the material. Do you think I should sit the first semester exams in June and the second semester in September? That way I have enough time to go over all of the material. Or should I just retake the year? Or should I just drop out completely and take up a chemical apprentiship?

I've tried to make appointments with both my personal tutor and head of year for the last month, but they both say they're too busy to see me. I know my GF will support me no matter what. I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    You have Christmas. It will be painful but you should be able to learn it over Christmas. Persevere.

That is what I will be doing for medicine...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.