Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

45 Minute Abs Workout Watch

ReputationRep:
    First off, I'm a guy. I have almost no fat on me, when I look in the mirror in a morning, if I lost anymore fat I would look anorexic. I eat pretty much perfectly, I never eat any junk food, and I make sure everything that enters my mouth is low in calories, while getting the appropriate nutrients (protein etc). I also do atleast 30 minutes running 5 days a week, and I've been doing that for 2 months now. I've been on a decent diet for atleast 6 months now, and a realy strict diet for the last 2 months. I understand that to get decent abs, the most important 2 factors are diet and exercise, and I think I got them sorted.

I've been working my abs for the last 6 months on and off, I don't have access to a gym so I have to make do with doing crunches etc on the floor, however after 6 months I still don't have any abs! Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I know it's not genetics, because when I was 13-14 I had an awesome set of abs and I did bugger all to get them. Anyway I've decided to spend a lot more time on my abs, so I've set out this abs workout, and since it's my first proper abs workout plan, I could do with opinions on whether you think it will work or not. So here it is:

The workout takes about 50 minutes, and will be done 4-5 days a week.

Sit Ups (With toes tucked under sofa) 3 x 20
    Crunches 3 x 25
    Leg Raises 3 x 15
    Right Oblique Crunch 3 x 25
    Left Oblique Crunch 3 x 25
    Sit Ups (No Assistance) 3 x 15
    Plank for 2 minutes (Only forearms and toes touching floor)

What do you guys/girls think?

Note: I really can't go to the gym, money on top of a mountain of other things just wont allow it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You don't have abs is because your diet is probably a mess.

Abs are made in the kitchen, sort out your diet and you'll see them. You say your diet is clean, well I highly doubt that especially if your running 5 times a week with a clean diet and no abs, is pretty hard to believe.

You can do a million crunches and leg raises but if your diet sucks you'll never see them, no wonder you have made no progress in six months.

Please don't waste your time with such workouts.

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    You don't have abs is because your diet is probably a mess.

Abs are made in the kitchen, sort out your diet and you'll see them. You say your diet is clean, well I highly doubt that especially if your running 5 times a week with a clean diet and no abs, is pretty hard to believe.

You can do a million crunches and leg raises but if your diet sucks you'll never see them, no wonder you have made no progress in six months.

Please don't waste your time with such workouts.

:yy:
    I think my diet is pretty good. On a typical day I would have for breakfast, porridge (made with water) + honey + some cornflakes (I like them in my porridge :blush:), then for lunch I'd have a low fat yoghurt, a banana, and 2 oranges, then for dinner I would have fish and rice for the protein. Maybe with a few egg whites.

What do you think is bad in that diet? I guess I could cut out the rice, but eating fish on it's own wouldn't be filling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenageDream)
    I think my diet is pretty good. On a typical day I would have for breakfast, porridge (made with water) + honey + some cornflakes (I like them in my porridge :blush:), then for lunch I'd have a low fat yoghurt, a banana, and 2 oranges, then for dinner I would have fish and rice for the protein. Maybe with a few egg whites.

What do you think is bad in that diet? I guess I could cut out the rice, but eating fish on it's own wouldn't be filling.
    Water, drink lots of water. I swear that has helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Water, drink lots of water. I swear that has helped me.
    I drink sooo much water during the day, even if I'm not thirsty I'll drink. And I don't drink anything other than water.

ReputationRep:
    lol this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen

ReputationRep:
    If you can't physically see them, then theres still some fat over them. You can say that your diet's clean or whatever, but if there is still fat over your abs you will never be able to see them. Your BF% has got to be able 6-7% I think in order for you to see them.

Work out your BMR and then subtract 300 calories from it. Keep your running up but do some weights if possible. Joining a gym would make this much easier.

Other than that, what people have said above is correct. Abs are somewhat made in the kitchen, however, tied in with cardio to lose some of the body fat, the process can be speeded up. Do 20minutes HIIT if possible.

ReputationRep:
    OP just deadlift and squat for that there oblisique.

Oops, I meant squats. Compound over isolation *******s.

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't call that lunch..more like a snack! It lacks in sufficient protein and complex carbs- I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat fruit, just that it isn't really enough to call a meal.

Porridge is good, and the fish/rice for dinner, but personally I would get a lot more veg in there, and some decent fats such as nuts/seeds too.

ReputationRep:
    Errr.... 45 minutes of ab work, I can think of nothing worse

ReputationRep:
    Personally my abs are almost rock solid however i have a layer of fat over them so they are not visible.

first glance at ur ab workout, you are barely doing any ie 15 sit ups i think i read?

I do 100 crunches then 30 second break then another variety of crunches 100 again.
    the once again leg raises, alternate leg raises but of a high quantity, the number you are doing is far too small

you have to keep doing them until you physically can not continue and you should know when that is

Now when you have suitable ab muscles, all you have to do is cardio and have a good diet ie 5 meals a day. but cardio is very important so that fat is gone, and ur abs are visible

im sure some youtube videos will help you out

ReputationRep:
    you could also, just eat alot (not junk) and the work on your muscles, then once ur satisfied cut down again. as said before that lunch you having yogurt and fruit is actually ridiculous lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freakonomics123)
    Personally my abs are almost rock solid however i have a layer of fat over them so they are not visible.

first glance at ur ab workout, you are barely doing any ie 15 sit ups i think i read?

I do 100 crunches then 30 second break then another variety of crunches 100 again.
    the once again leg raises, alternate leg raises but of a high quantity, the number you are doing is far too small

you have to keep doing them until you physically can not continue and you should know when that is

Now when you have suitable ab muscles, all you have to do is cardio and have a good diet ie 5 meals a day. but cardio is very important so that fat is gone, and ur abs are visible

im sure some youtube videos will help you out
    Crunches distort your abs if that is all you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaterfield)
    Although high volume ab circuits might be good to start off with, without a decent progression (without adding more reps) soon your body won't find them stimulating (in my opinion). It is much easier to add weight and progress through that, I've had a little think and you could probably use a litre water bottle held to your chest for weighted sit ups, then exchange that into sand/soil gradually as you need heavier resistance (I prefer to hold a dumbbell on my chest on a decline but improvised I'm pretty sure the same effect will occur).
    Thanks, I have some light dumbbells at home, I guess I'll start putting them on my chest when doing crunches etc.

(Original post by Freakonomics123)
    Can you feel your abs when poking your stomach? Because I think I might have a layer of fat over mine, but when I tense and start poking around, I can't feel any defined "6 packs".

Btw my height is 6 foot, weight 155LB, and a BMI of 21.0

The site says:
    # Underweight = <18.5
    # Normal weight = 18.5–24.9

ReputationRep:
    45 minutes for abs?!

Do you also do 45 mins for your biceps?

ReputationRep:
    when I look in the mirror in a morning, if I lost anymore fat I would look anorexic.
    So you are skinny? As in you have a body figure that is like, say, Russell Brand? That's what you are saying there. If that's the case, you aren't going to go from being really skiiny to having abs like Hugh Jackman are you?

Sit Ups (With toes tucked under sofa) 3 x 20
    Crunches 3 x 25
    Leg Raises 3 x 15
    Right Oblique Crunch 3 x 25
    Left Oblique Crunch 3 x 25
    Sit Ups (No Assistance) 3 x 15
    Plank for 2 minutes (Only forearms and toes touching floor)
    You don't mention any warm-up and cool-down exercises? Are you doing those effectively? They are just as important as the actual exercises.

Also, what's the rest period during and between the exercises? You've designed a classic circuit training session. The standard rest period is 30 seconds between sets and 1-3 minutes between exercises. For example:

Do 20 sit ups, take a 30 sec break, do 20, 30 second break, final 20.
    1-3 minute rest period
    25 crunches, 30 sec break, 25 crunches 30 secs, 25 crunches.
    You get the point.

You also need to do what GCSE PE teachers call "overload". That is, improve every session, so instead of doing 10 sit ups x3 for a week. Do 10x3 on day 1 of the week, 11x3 on day 2, 12x3 on day 3.

I used to be really active last year, I'd go to the gym 3 times a week and do a variety of exercises. Now, with bills to pay, I've cancelled my gym membership and have to workout at home. My routine for the past month has been really simple:

Jog 3 times a week for about 20 mins (I don't overload on running like I used to, and the weather has been bad so I've stopped).
    Press ups 20x3. I started last month at about 7x3, but slowly I've going up and up.
    Ab plank - this is my main workout. I started with 1 minutex3. But now I've gone up to 3 minutes 50 seconds x 3. Tomorrow will be my last overload. I improve by 10 seconds everyday or every two days. I will stop increasing at 4 minutes.

But even with this simple routine. I don't have great abs. I have the top 2 looking quite good. The middle ones are also improving, but the bottom two and below have fat on there because I am quite big around the waste.

Sorry for any typos, no time to proofread

ReputationRep:
    HIIT.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting post :congrats:

My response in a single word. Overtraining.

Its far too common with abs. The abs are a muscle, just like all other muscles. For example, would you apply the same routine you described to your biceps, back, legs etc.?

All muscle responds in the same way, i.e. fast twitch, slow twitch is the same in the abs as in the biceps and so on. The basics of muscle training applies to the abs as it does to all other muscles. When you train the biceps, you will roughly do 5 sets of heavy loads (~8-12 reps) which is the optimum combo to trigger new muscle growth - any more or less will fail to trigger new growth.

In the same way, once you've reached the trigger point - any further training will tend to strain your muscles and a process of protein breakdown begins - i.e. your muscle will eat itself to maintain function (this is overtraining).

In the same way, if your overtraiing the abs - your muscle will simply not grow. In other words, no matter how much further training you do, the muscle has given up growing. This means visually, you will not see any results, even though the strength may have increased.

In my opinion, its best to train the abs just like any other muscle (bodybuilding style) - this will give you the growth, hardness plus some serious core strength.

On other occasions, do high volume abs training, similar to what your doing atm, this should give the sharp and crisp definition of the abs to complement the muscle growth.

The most important factor throughout (which any trainer will tell you) is REST. So between training, make sure you give the abs time to rest, plus this is when the actually grow (during repair) and this is also the main time you should be eating pleanty of proetin and remember the carbs and fat - don't exclude fat from your diet!

Hope this helps, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Crunches distort your abs if that is all you do?
    its not all i do, was just giving example, i dont know the names of everything i do

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I have some light dumbbells at home, I guess I'll start putting them on my chest when doing crunches etc.

Can you feel your abs when poking your stomach? Because I think I might have a layer of fat over mine, but when I tense and start poking around, I can't feel any defined "6 packs".

Btw my height is 6 foot, weight 155LB, and a BMI of 21.0

The site says:
    # Underweight = <18.5
    # Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Im 6ft as well and 69kg in just underwear, yeh i can definitely feel my abs, but like you said there is fat over it so you only can see the abs in correct lighting conditions

however i have had good abs at a young age like 10, because i was doing karate since the age of 5...the muscles have always stayed there and only recently ive been exercising them even more, however the pleasures of food have taken over and ive got a little fat, im waiting for uni where i can burn it off at a nearby gym, atm i just really cba

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.