Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many people on TSR have ever had an STI? [POLL] Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever had an STI?
    Yes
    8.45%
    No - but, I have been tested
    26.06%
    No - never been tested
    28.17%
    No - still a virgin
    37.32%

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a little bored as it's 5 in the morn. I was wondering (after a pub discussion with my mates) the percentage of teens and young adults who have had STIs. After looking up stats cos I was bored, I wondered if TSRians are highers or lower than the national average.
    So TSRians, How many of you have had an STI and share your experience with the rest (remember you can go anon)

Personally, I never have but, I have been tested several times (always came back clear)

So share any experiences and words of wisdom guys

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is gonna do it? Really? Oh, okay then...

U HAV 2 HAV SEX TO GET STI'S LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Nobody is gonna do it? Really? Oh, okay then...

U HAV 2 HAV SEX TO GET STI'S LOL
    Ahhhh im a danbo fan!

ReputationRep:
    I've never had an STI. I haven't been tested however as I have no need to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lella_m)
    I've never had an STI. I haven't been tested however as I have no need to be.
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    I collect STI's, on 6 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    I collect STI's, on 6 now.
    I only collect Pokémon, more fun and less dangerous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadlifts)
    I only collect Pokémon, more fun and less dangerous
    Gotta catch 'em all

ReputationRep:
    if you've ever had a coldsore you have an STI btw people

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I have herpes type 1, but genitally.

Boyfriend got coldsores orally, he gave me oral sex, I got genital herpes.

No, I wasn't stupid enough to receive oral when he had a cold sore - he didn't currently have one, which happens a LOT more easily than people think.

ReputationRep:
    80% of people have herpes simplex virus so the chances are if you've ever kissed someone you have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelittleredfox)
    Yep, I have herpes type 1, but genitally.

Boyfriend got coldsores orally, he gave me oral sex, I got genital herpes.

No, I wasn't stupid enough to receive oral when he had a cold sore - he didn't currently have one, which happens a LOT more easily than people think.
    omg what ?

80% of people have herpes simplex ? Does that mean I should never be having oral without a condom even with my gf ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    if you've ever had a coldsore you have an STI btw people
    That's a pretty misleading way of putting it.

HSV-1 which causes most oral coldsores is a separate virus to HSV-2, which causes most genital outbreaks of herpes.

Yes HSV-1 can be transmitted sexually, but that is not is predominant form of transmission (unlike herpes-2) and most who have it acquired it during childhood.

STD is a term usually used to mean a disease that is predominantly spread through sexual activity, or one that you have acquired sexually, at least in the common sense of the phrase.

If you included all the herpes viruses, just because they can be transmitted sexually, well... any survey based on those criteria would say that >90% of people have an STD and results would therefore be meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been tested, that's all i'm saying :lolwut:

Well, I don't need to worry about that **** since no one wants to **** me anyway :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    If you included all the herpes viruses, just because they can be transmitted sexually, well... any survey based on those criteria would say that >90% of people have an STD and results would therefore be meaningless.
    Most people count HIV as an STI though and you can get that through other means

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Most people count HIV as an STI though and you can get that through other means
    Yes but if you were going to count coldsores as an STD because it can spread sexually you may as well count chickenpox. So, in that case most children contract an "STD" before they reach about 5. It's not really in line with the common use of the word or the intention of the OP.

Besides which, if I had contracted HIV through a dirty needle or through vertical transmission then thinking about it, no I would not describe it as an STD. Because STD is an abbreviation for sexually transmitted disease, so if you didn't contract it sexually.. well then it wasn't sexually transmitted (rather sexually transmissible*).

Let's just not be pedants.

*(Which is also irritatingly shortenable to STD, but cmon you're not so stupid (well not stupid at all) that you don't know perfectly well what the OP is getting at, what safe-sex posters are getting at, what society is referring to when they say "STD" and you know that it doesn't really encompass the coldsore virus somebody caught off sharing a glass with their mum when they were 8).

(Original post by GingerGoat)
      Gotta catch 'em all
      :teehee:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
      omg what ?

80% of people have herpes simplex ? Does that mean I should never be having oral without a condom even with my gf ?
      That is a personal decision. People who already have oral herpes hsv-1 are at a hugely reduced risk of getting it genitally - almost all cases of genital hsv-1 happen to people who've never had oral herpes. So the people really at risk of catching genital herpes this way are the people WITHOUT oral hsv-1. That USED to be 20% of people, but is now more like 40% of adults. The other 60% already have oral herpes and aren't likely to catch the oral herpes virus genitally.

(Original post by BeanofJelly)
      That's a pretty misleading way of putting it.

HSV-1 which causes most oral coldsores is a separate virus to HSV-2, which causes most genital outbreaks of herpes.

Yes HSV-1 can be transmitted sexually, but that is not is predominant form of transmission (unlike herpes-2) and most who have it acquired it during childhood.

STD is a term usually used to mean a disease that is predominantly spread through sexual activity, or one that you have acquired sexually, at least in the common sense of the phrase.

HSV-2 no longer causes most genital herpes, especially among the young and women. In the UK hsv-1 accounts for about 70%+ of new genital herpes infections, and oral sex is the most common form of transmission. This is echoed in other Western countries and may be because of the decrease in the % of the population acquiring oral hsv-1 during childhood / an increase in the prevalence of oral sex. I know a number of other women with genital herpes, and all, like me, have hsv-1 not hsv-2.

Technically, oral hsv-2 is not classed as an std, because it is an oral infection, even if the mode of acquisition is unknown. I think it is important that people are aware that oral herpes hsv-1 is a primary cause, through oral sex, of genital herpes, and that transmission is possible in the absence of symptoms, just as with genital herpes.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.