Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So Ive applied for CS and basically, since I havent done IT at A level, I want to try and get a little head start in the basics of programming.

I understand that the most common languages that are being studied are Java, C and C++ so I do want to get started on them, however, I do enjoy HTML/CSS and general web languages. I have been told that these are practically useless in terms of getting an industry job, and for studying the course.

So should I carry on with the Web stuff? Can CS lead to a web related field (if so, examples)?

Or shall I stick to learning the programming side of C/C++ Java?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science at Uni is going to involve learning some kind of progamming language(s).

I would say it is certainly going to be beneficial to learn some of the basics. Java and C++ seem popular but it would be worth finding out what they teach at the Unis you have applied to and then having a play around with those.

If you already know you want to do web stuff, why would you not look at a web development / computing type degree?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks

yea I did consider a different type of course related to web, but at the end of the day I thought that maybe the CS would be better recognised(?)

I know the course involves C++/C Java, and I think some C#.

Do many CS graduates go on to do anything with web? ie. the programming side

If you are going to be a CS student start with C++. That's what most employers ask for and applies to many other jobs as well. If you were doing engineering then C would be a better start although a little bit trickier. Get a good grounding with C++ and then learning the web languages would be piece of cake on your own time.

ReputationRep:
      OK nice one, Ill do that...

Um bit off topic but- about the substitution on UCAS: If I substitute a course, does the whole application have to be redone or just that course? I am within 14 days of the letter, and want to make a change how long would it take before it was processed?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jameseyboy)
      Hi,

So Ive applied for CS and basically, since I havent done IT at A level, I want to try and get a little head start in the basics of programming.
      IT A-level doesn't even touch on programming. You're better off without it.

There isn't really a great need to do any programming before uni. Personally I think the main advantage to trying some programming before uni is just so you know if you like it. Some people start a CS course and realise they hate programming, so either drop out or spend 3/4 years doing something they can't stand.

Lots of people doing CS end up in web development jobs. The point of the subject is to teach you the principles of problem solving, so you should be able to apply that to any area. Also the principles of programming generally carry over between languages, so it doesn't really matter if you start by learning a language that isn't the one you end up using when you get a job. Once you're comfortable with programming in general, it's not too hard to learn a new language.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jameseyboy)
      OK nice one, Ill do that...

Um bit off topic but- about the substitution on UCAS: If I substitute a course, does the whole application have to be redone or just that course? I am within 14 days of the letter, and want to make a change how long would it take before it was processed?
      I switched one of my choices and the application didn't have to be 'redone' or whatever, although for some reason the university I swapped have still offered me an interview O_o.

Also A level ICT doesn't even touch on programming and is the bane of my ****ing existence right now so don't worry about that. I would see what languages the unis you are applying to teach then just learn the basics and try not to pick up any bad habits.

ReputationRep:
      thanks guys- yeah changed em now

I think C++ is probably my best bet, only without a fun target its gonna be hard to learn. For me things like HTML are easier because they can be applied in a fun way- ie, website design.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.