Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'LOL' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I would happily put money on saying that 90% or more of the active users on this forum use the word 'lol' frequently throughout online conversing. I don't want to make an estimate on how many people use it in real-life situations as well, but it's probably over 50%.

My question is... Why?

I've never seen the appeal of the acronym, and can't remember the last time I used it (other than an example in this thread you eagle-eyed witty users, you), and I have no intention of starting.

Why has this become such a staple in the world of the internet? How often do you write it without actually laughing out loud? When you read it do you read it as 'loll' or 'L-O-L'? Why does nobody seem to know that 'loll' is an actual word and has been around for centuries?

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Please be quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's a good space filler.
    Don't think 50% people use it In real life though

ReputationRep:
    If I say 'lol' I genuinely have laughed, even if it is to myself, or even a sly little smirk. 'ltm' or 'sls' don't really work as well.

As for saying it, I'd say 'lol' as a complete word as opposed to spelling it out. Also, I do know 'loll' is an actual word, why compare it considering it's spelt differently? 'Lead' and 'Lead' are two completely different words too. Whatchagonnado?

ReputationRep:
    Probably some people do it to appreciate the joke by saying 'LOL' or 'Haha'
    I write it even though im not really laughing out loud or rolling on the floor laughing because i think the joke someone made was quite funny and the only way to appreciate it is by writing 'LOL'.
    Actually, one time i was talking to a friend of mine and he said something funny and instead of me laughing i actually said 'LOL'! Oh dear, the influence of interwebz.

ReputationRep:
    You're just a pioneer of linguistics.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even laugh in real life, I just spam LOL repeatedly until people facepalm/facedesk/face the most convenient piece of furniture in the room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    I don't even laugh in real life, I just spam LOL repeatedly until people facepalm/facedesk/face the most convenient piece of furniture in the room.
    This is what I like to hear.

ReputationRep:
    a) you're a complete and utter idiot who lives in his mums basement.
    b) you're a complete and utter idiot who lives in his mums basement lol.

lol, makes hard things to say, easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSadReaper)
    a) you're a complete and utter idiot who lives in his mums basement.
    b) you're a complete and utter idiot who lives in his mums basement lol.

lol, makes hard things to say, easy.
    a) You're such a ****.
    b) You're such a ****, lol.

Would have been a better example, I find. True say regardless. My choice for such situations is always 'haha'. :holmes:

(if I insult you with a 'haha' on the end, I wasn't joking. :ashamed2:)

ReputationRep:

OP just get over it its such a none issue, I only rage about lol when someone says it in real life

ReputationRep:
    What throws me is when you see a character from a pre-Internet book who's called Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    What throws me is when you see a character from a pre-Internet book who's called Lol.
    ... Worrall?

ReputationRep:
    Im glad someone has finally brought up the real issues that need sorting....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Olney)
    Ok, so I would happily put money on saying that 90% or more of the active users on this forum use the word 'lol' frequently throughout online conversing. I don't want to make an estimate on how many people use it in real-life situations as well, but it's probably over 50%.

My question is... Why?

I've never seen the appeal of the acronym, and can't remember the last time I used it (other than an example in this thread you eagle-eyed witty users, you), and I have no intention of starting.

Why has this become such a staple in the world of the internet? How often do you write it without actually laughing out loud? When you read it do you read it as 'loll' or 'L-O-L'? Why does nobody seem to know that 'loll' is an actual word and has been around for centuries?
    Have to say, I agree, and I never use it. How much effort is it to type haha instead? Or to do a smiley:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I think people use it conventionally in the same instances in which nervous laughter may also be used in an actual, voice-based conversation. You know, when all you can do is laugh slightly like you can relate/understand, or just to kill the awkwardness of someone's ramblings. The only time I really find the usage of the term annoying is when people elongate it to the point of writing out 'lllllllllllooooooooooooooooooll l' or something to that extent, or when they use it inappropriately like "Oh, yeah, my pet rabbit died" ... "lol".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    Because it's a good space filler.
    Don't think 50% people use it In real life though
    Haha this.
    Somebody's been spending a little too much time in the 'internet' real world.

ReputationRep:
    I've used it a few times irl... when there's a bad joke: LUL UR SO FUNNAY

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.