Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A roadies winter wonderland Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Winter spell lasts three months, though with the snow (something of a rarity near the seaside, in previous years anyhow, means I need to purchase some rollers - I have a turbo but for anything above 30 minutes a turbo makes you want to be hit on the head while listening to someone you hate satisfy a women you love) real road time has to be deviated from the plan on paper.

ReputationRep:
    Monday.

Breakfast: Woke at 6;50 am drank two pints of Ribena. Ate two mugs of pasta one egg, parmesan cheese with a bolognese sauce. Took one hour to prepare and eat. Had one and a half pints of fresh orange juice also a wide variety of supplements - such as glucosamine, vitamins. Treated myself to some Minstrels which were a pleasant desert.

Snack: 10;40 am sausage (2) bagel and a box of raisins with a can of sprite. A plethora of flexibility exercises to increase arch of back on drops or time trial - as expected lost entirety of reach last year it is going to be a slow process to regain. Hate glandular fever.

Gym: 3;00 pm till 6;00 pm [galloping journey to and from adding considerable time realistically just over 2 hours in the gym]. 2x750 ml bottles water/Ribena. Tried to obtain a maximum rep for the leg press but used my 5 sets before reaching it so will start at 125 the next gym session and watch what happens. Quarter of an hour warm up on the stationary bike (level 8-10?) - focusing on a cadence of over 90 but less than 110 as it was the only interesting data (also reliable) presented on the display. then Leg Press; (5x85kg),(5x95kg),(5x105kg),(5x1 15kg),(5x125kg) a minimum of 200 seconds rest between sets. 10 minutess on the stationary bike at level 6 also sticking to 90+ cadence. Maxed out the Leg Extension only goes up to 40kg (a guess as the increment was units - i.e. identical weights called 1,2,3,4 ... where 1 was about 2 kg or more on the machine). At a hunch of the weights 5x(5x28 kg) again 300 seconds rest minimum between sets. A dude used the machine during the fourth session so did a quick 2000 m rowing sub 10 on level 10; not great but down to lack of forearm strength more than anything else. Followed with a 3 minute sprint on the treadmill.

Wanted to hit some squats and dead-lifts though already was past 5 and set off at 3 and adding another hour would have been foolish. Pretty shocked at the Leg Press. The last time I was at the Gym 110 kg hit me hard but looking back it was probably because I was barely 17 then.

2 scoops of pure protein (yummy strawberry) with slightly over half a pint of milk, two cheese sandwiches wholegrain with mayonaise, banana, go bar for post gym meal pint of Ribena.

Bed: Midnight and just woke from my over-timed nap. Cooked a huge jalfrezi and 2 scoops of protein with half a pint of milk. Cadbury chocolate.

Overview: Had no lunch and 2 snacks were dropped. Not dissapointed though - still not in calorific or protein / carbohydrate "debt" from usual plan, just wanted to regain some muscle mass. Reasonably happy with the session and after three months should be prepared for a month interval pain. Missed three fruit by dropping those two snacks though. Loved the feeling of the pump been far too long. Eating that much pasta in the morning is very difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Goodluck Dean, will be watching.

Got any markers on your current performance levels so we can see progress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Goodluck Dean, will be watching.

Got any markers on your current performance levels so we can see progress?
    I too wanted a current benchmark but after thinking pretty hard I could not see a feasible way of measuring my performance on the bike in this weather. Realistically it is going to be early February late January before the weather is good (Oxford has notorious weather) but will post them then.

Cheers for the support man, good motivation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lzyastra)
    Sort your diet out.. you'll see gains like nothing you've seen before, and you won't become as susceptible to illness. Also, don't have milk with your protein after gym, the milk layers your stomach so the protein can't be absorbed as easily.
    Would be more than happy to see an example of any new diets or improvements and will certainly give it a try if it looks good. Thanks for the milk tip.

ReputationRep:
    Well the amount of sugar and bad fats you're eating is a lot to say the least. Why are you drinking litres of ribena, sprite and orange juice.. do you want to give yourself diabetes? Do yourself and your teeth a favour so you're not pouring a load of sugar into your body and having sugar spikes throughout the day. Drinking water instead of sugary drinks means your body will flush itself out and you'll recover much quicker between workouts. As for eating.. in one day you had cadburys chocolate, minstrels, sausages, a load of cheese, mayonnaise and a pub meal. That is A LOT of fat and junk in one day. The government doesn't recommend eating fruit and veg for a laugh you know aha. I'm riding for about 4 hours a day at this time of the year, but if I was eating as badly as that (no offence) it would be impossible to recover and have the energy to get up and ride everyday.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for bringing that up, it is hard to see the bigger picture of the down sides of the food when it is there, is cooked hot in front of you, and after rereading there is a LOT of junk! Are you abroad - or is there somewhere in the UK that isn't covered in snow!? Read your reply after lunch so still pretty bad diet though tomorrow is going to be a lot better.

Tuesday

Small blip today. Woke up had 1.5 cups of oats, wholemeal toast with jam and a banana pint of orange juice at 9;30 am, after giving myself a lie in, the usual supplements also. Had two turkey sandwiches (mayonnaise ... boy need to throw that tub away!) and some raisins and a Clementine at 11;30 am one litre of water. Going well so far. Planned to go out running at 1;00 but anyway will spare you needless details but before 1;00 I was shoved in a car and drove around for six hours, which has made me sick as a dog - I am not much of a car person and hate them when I am not in them! Lying in bed (now half 7) going to shovel as much pasta as I can in around one hour in anticipation for a gym session tomorrow. 8;30 2 mugs of fresh pasta with olive oil.

Unfortunately I have damaged my front dérailleur and need the assistance of a wiser mechanic - fortunately that individual is coming to our house at Christmas so rollers will be up and running after then and will finally be putting bike time on the table.

Thinking 60 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the afternoon, never tried to do more than 2 hours non stop - and I don't want to! Least it is less boring than the turbo also greater benefit for riding smoothly.

Overview. Life can be a but of a ****ter at times. I would not have minded one of the car journey or mechanical, though both (and feeling car sick) has not made me happy and just removed hopes of any training this day also training on the rollers until after Christmas. I did not injure myself though so can still train tomorrow - the bright side!

Not too concerned about missing today's training, though disappointed that I did not get a lot of quality protein or in general a significant amount of food today.

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday

Breakfast: Woke at 9;45 am pretty late really and that kind of time is eating up most of the morning, so this is a reminder for myself when rereading - buy an alarm clock!
    800 ml water, 2 slices wholemeal toast and jam, 1 slice wholemeal toast with scrambled egg, 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 pear. The usual supplements. Got leisure lakes to lower the 2011 shoe here http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-shoe-ec025548 to 148. WIN.

Gym: 12;45 to three. 2 litres water. Quarter hour warm up stationary bike level 8 cadence 95 - 100. 2x(5x28kg) leg extension with a 3 minute break separating the sets - first break 500 metre row level 6 in 2:00 minutes (forearms still needing some work) then a 3 minute 10 kmph slow jog. 3x(5x40 kg) after that with standard 3 minute stationary bike rest between at level 6 cadence about 100. Tried the ski machine was a bad move after leg extensions - 5 minutes of pain for just worked quads.

Seated leg curl (hamstring). Wanted to not put strain on this muscle simply ensure it is kept worked and will be reasonably proportional in strength to other groups in the leg. 2x(15x10kg) , 5x16kg, 2x(5x20kg) 3 minute rest (pure rest, simply sitting) between sets.

Attempted to find out how heavy I was though the balance was rather confusing with a sliding scale without marks. Guessing where the mark should be, 69.5 kg need to drop about 5 or 7 and put on some more leg muscle. Sure it can be done.

Post meal: 3;00 pm 100 grams chicken breast, 3 mugs pasta, rocket, olives, parmesan cheese. 2 scoops whey with water :wink:.

Nap: 800 ml water in bed from five to ten pm [yes still have not bought an alarm clock so skipped a snack and tea].

ten:500 ml water, 2 mugs pasta, parmesan cheese, rocket, banana, raisins, clementine, 2 scoops whey and milk, three pieces terry's chocolate orange.

overview Still need to get squatting. Dropping the leg press from first leg gym session for squats. Not able to get three exercises in a session with a three minute break between sets. Pretty sure diet has improved and am feeling better thank-you lzyastra. Finally got no gym sessions left this week.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm in Essex so the roads aren't too snowy.. I just get out on the mountain bike on the roads so I have at least a bit of grip. Came down hard on some ice on saturday but luckily there weren't any cars around to hit me.

Saying that had to do 3 hours on the turbo today as the roads were slush.. the key is to have a 10 minute break every hour so it's bearable :P Anyway keep up the blog and good diet dude.. are you aiming towards a particular event or something?

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm in Essex so the roads aren't too snowy.. I just get out on the mountain bike on the roads so I have at least a bit of grip. Came down hard on some ice on saturday but luckily there weren't any cars around to hit me.

Saying that had to do 3 hours on the turbo today as the roads were slush.. the key is to have a 10 minute break every hour so it's bearable :P Anyway keep up the blog and good diet dude.. are you aiming towards a particular event or something?
    Hoping for Oxford blues. Got two more years after this at Oxford so in no rush for blues and might try it out later to focus on some racing that happens more often with local teams this summer coming back next year and the year following for blues.

Good idea with the ten minute gap. (Un)lucky about falling but glad you were not mowed over! The indoor training is the bane of the cycling world, though it is not all that bad considering the alternative of no fitness. Thank-you for the tip and encouragement, good luck with training also! Any events you are aiming at (or goals)?

ReputationRep:
    Thursday

Breakfast: 8;50 am 2 pieces wholemeal toast with jam, 2 bacon sandwiches (4 slices white toast and brown sauce eight pieces lean bacon), bowl crunchy nut, 2 box raisins, 1.5 litres of water.

12:00 to 1:00 pm 20 minute easy run and a few cheeky upper body exercises to maintain warmth. 15 minutes 75-85 % max heart rate (no hr monitor but I got good at telling roughly what range I was in so pretty confident. regardless it was getting moderately painful towards the end and will be feeling this in the run tomorrow). 20 minute cool down stretching easy jogging. banana, 2 scoops protein with water, 3 pieces terry's chocolate orange.

4;00 pm: 1.5 cups pasta, parmesan cheese (and sauce) 400 ml water

6;00 pm: smoked cod and roast potatoes, leeks, onions 500 ml carbonated fruit juice.

7;00 pm: bed

overview Satisfied at the diet today despite missing both snacks (and shake before bed), though got in food when it was needed, and got a reasonably large serving too. Run wasn't anything too fancy though wearing boots added some extra effort for the shin muscles which were aching slightly but the ankle support they provided definitely required in the snow.

ReputationRep:
    Sweet living it up man! Cyrpus, interesting ... might check out some warm environment during march when on vacation myself.

WCS is brutal - knew a lad who raced a while ago and he compared every race as tiring as a marathon due to the micro efforts required almost constantly, and while not raced in such an event personally certainly believed him!

Sounds like stuff is going well for you, keep at it!

ReputationRep:
    Christmas eve, Christmas day, Christmas Boxing day

Due to relatives, might as well get this day knocked up on here as I can see them following the same theme.

Food: A lot of unhealthy stuff.
    Exercise: Surprised if anything gets done.

ReputationRep:
    Ze plan

After considerable acts of espionage (the tabs have a cycling website up and we haven't), blues hinges on a 25 TT and a road race under BUCS, against the tabs, obviously, with a 10 or above finish in an arbitrary National event of your discipline..

Having never done a 25 TT before will hold back until the following summer for an attempt at a blue (also due to the times, that will take a season of racing to acquire enough experience at that new distance). Though, do not despair will be doing a plethora of events;

Hitting as many as them as possible (e.g. when at home) http://www.cdnw.org/sis_crits.html which will be mainly April and July/August, simply due to the fact that it is literally a ride to there, race, then ride back home (ride to and fro 25 miles so a solid chunk of training).

Come late March, early April will do a raw 10 and 25 mile TT on the above track on the road training bike.

Leaving June, July for racing (splitting 10 mile TTs with road races) then end of July, start of August for some serious attempts at a 25 TT.

There were two events that would have been good to aim for (in my old hometown) though will try to race them, definitely, but will not be training for them, simply want to obtain a decent 25 time.

Maintaining one weight session a week after and including March to maintain strength. Went on the power lifter thread for some good legs sessions at the gym so they will be the new ones being used, with hamstring and leg extension kept as they work specific muscles.

ReputationRep:
    Also, don't have milk with your protein after gym, the milk layers your stomach so the protein can't be absorbed as easily.

This is actually complete broscience. OP, using milk in your post workout shake is fine. In fact, there's evidence that shows it to be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    In fact, there's evidence that shows it to be beneficial.
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    In the world.

Kerksick CM, Rasmussen CJ, Lancaster SL, Magu B, Smith P, Melton C, Greenwood M, Almada AL, Earnest CP, Kreider RB.

Center for Exercise, Nutrition and Preventive Health Research, Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation, Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798, USA.

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of whey protein supplementation on body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and anaerobic capacity during 10 weeks of resistance training. Thirty-six resistance-trained males (31.0 +/- 8.0 years, 179.1 +/- 8.0 cm, 84.0 +/- 12.9 kg, 17.8 +/- 6.6%) followed a 4 days-per-week split body part resistance training program for 10 weeks. Three groups of supplements were randomly assigned, prior to the beginning of the exercise program, in a double-blind manner to all subjects: 48 g per day (g.d(-1)) carbohydrate placebo (P), 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 8 g.d(-1) of casein (WC), or 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 3 g.d(-1) branched-chain amino acids + 5 g.d(-1) L-glutamine (WBG). At 0, 5, and 10 weeks, subjects were tested for fasting blood samples, body mass, body composition using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), 1 repetition maximum (1RM) bench and leg press, 80% 1RM maximal repetitions to fatigue for bench press and leg press, and 30-second Wingate anaerobic capacity tests. No changes (p > 0.05) were noted in all groups for energy intake, training volume, blood parameters, and anaerobic capacity. WC experienced the greatest increases in DEXA lean mass (P = 0.0 +/- 0.9; WC = 1.9 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.3 kg, p < 0.05) and DEXA fat-free mass (P = 0.1 +/- 1.0; WC = 1.8 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.2 kg, p < 0.05). Significant increases in 1RM bench press and leg press were observed in all groups after 10 weeks. In this study, the combination of whey and casein protein promoted the greatest increases in fat-free mass after 10 weeks of heavy resistance training. Athletes, coaches, and nutritionists can use these findings to increase fat-free mass and to improve body composition during resistance training.

ReputationRep:
    Did you even read this over? The study doesn't show any proof that 40g whey and 8g casein (not even milk..?) is better than 48g whey only. Anyway, let's let this poor guy get back to his blog..

ReputationRep:
    Did you even read this over? The study doesn't show any proof that 40g whey and 8g casein (not even milk..?) is better than 48g whey only. Anyway, let's let this poor guy get back to his blog..
    "In this study, the combination of whey and casein protein promoted the greatest increases in fat-free mass after 10 weeks of heavy resistance training"

Milk is predominantly casein protein. Anyway you're right, I barely read it, it was just the first result of many when I googled it.

I'm happy to let the guy get back to his blog, now that he knows not to worry about drinking milk with his post workout shake.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are definitely helping, the whole idea of the blog was to draw some knowledge from people who know more about nutrition and lifting, etc.

It isn't really a log, I keep a more detailed hard copy on a journal, this is to provide you guys with sufficient information (i.e. whey with milk or water) so you can chip in and comment.

You also reminded me I have not updated this in two days!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.