Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a year 13 student with the ambition of becoming a city lawyer. I have been fortunate enough to get offers from QMUL for Law and I am waiting for a reply from Warwick for PAIS.

Realistically, I don't want to work anywhere else but Law. My work experience and ECs have crystallised that decision for me.

Now my biggest issue at present is choosing whether I should go to QMUL and do Law or Warwick (if I get in) to do PAIS.
    QMUL - Would allow me to get straight into Law qualified. Although, I have read threads on TSR that argue that QMUL is not a reputable university.
    Whereas Warwick is, trouble is do I want to spend 3 year plus another year qualifying to become a Lawyer purely because of university prestige?

So should I go with QMUL because I actually want to become a lawyer? or Warwick and do the whole conversion?

P.S: I am aware that I have to stand out! ECs, Vac schemes, work experience and so on.

Just want to hear your take on this situation of mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)
    I am a year 13 student with the ambition of becoming a city lawyer. I have been fortunate enough to get offers from QMUL for Law and I am waiting for a reply from Warwick for PAIS.

Realistically, I don't want to work anywhere else but Law. My work experience and ECs have crystallised that decision for me.

Now my biggest issue at present is choosing whether I should go to QMUL and do Law or Warwick (if I get in) to do PAIS.
    QMUL - Would allow me to get straight into Law qualified. Although, I have read threads on TSR that argue that QMUL is not a reputable university.
    Whereas Warwick is, trouble is do I want to spend 3 year plus another year qualifying to become a Lawyer purely because of university prestige?

So should I go with QMUL because I actually want to become a lawyer? or Warwick and do the whole conversion?

P.S: I am aware that I have to stand out! ECs, Vac schemes, work experience and so on.

Just want to hear your take on this situation of mine.

Personally, I think you should go to QMUL and aim to get a 2:1 or ambitiously a first! Being a trainee at A&O I've realised that its all about the grades, experience and ECs. There is a trainee in A&O from QMUL and my friend is a trainee at Freshfields also from QMUL. So all you need to do is study, study, study and do as much work experience, vac schemes and ECs as possible!

Why do the long route when you can just get it over and done with in 3 years? Dude forget about the rep or whatever, QMUL is 3rd in the country for Law.

Source:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    If you would prefer to do a law degree and that would interest you more, then do a law degree! And QMUL is a decent uni
    I agree !!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Law, just do it. QM's Law school is good. No one will automatically reject you because you went to QM.

Just some info, at Linklaters, I was told it's about 60/70% LLB and 40/30% GDL.

IIRC, GDL is only 2 years + 1 year that everyone has to do... I'm a bit hazy on this though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    If you want to do Law, just do it. QM's Law school is good. No one will automatically reject you because you went to QM.

Just some info, at Linklaters, I was told it's about 60/70% LLB and 40/30% GDL.

IIRC, GDL is only 2 years + 1 year that everyone has to do... I'm a bit hazy on this though.
    The GDL is 1 year and then you'd need to do the LPC (which you would be doing after your LLB anyway).

I don't think there is too much of a difference between LLBers and GDLers. Doing an LLB means you have more time to become familiar with the law and can talk with more authority on it. More so than your average GDL student.

Some prefer GDL graduates who have studied something else because they can be seen as offering more (academically and maturity wise). It's rather helpful if the degree you studied first was something related to the practice you intent to work in, like engineering.

Go to uni and get the best grades you can, you'll be fine I think. Even if I have no idea what QM is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pagrant)
    Personally, I think you should go to QMUL and aim to get a 2:1 or ambitiously a first! Being a trainee at A&O I've realised that its all about the grades, experience and ECs. There is a trainee in A&O from QMUL and my friend is a trainee at Freshfields also from QMUL. So all you need to do is study, study, study and do as much work experience, vac schemes and ECs as possible!

Why do the long route when you can just get it over and done with in 3 years? Dude forget about the rep or whatever, QMUL is 3rd in the country for Law.

Source:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law
    But you're not a trainee at A&O are you? And I doubt you have trainee friends at Freshies.

A quick look at other posts you've made in the last couple of months suggests you've just sent off your UCAS form and you're applying for temp jobs at M&S and River Island.

I can't even sleep. Is it just me that feels like this? I've sent of my UCAS and so forth! I'm just so scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am predicated A*AAB -- POLITICS -- I AM NOT OXBRIDGE BUT I'VE APPLIED FOR THE RUSSELL GROUPS
    I was just emailed about an interview but I didn't realise it was a late night shift! What the hell is that? OMFG! Help what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    ahahaha boyd Pagrant

I too am considering going into law, specifically commercial and business law. Going to do an Economics degree then GDL and LPC. long but it should be worth it. Im hopfully going to take a gap year and work at Pinsent Masons

good luck to yaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibraryHomeCinema)
    Even if I have no idea what QM is.
    Hiii QM is Queen Mary University of London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricardom93)
    ahahaha boyd Pagrant

I too am considering going into law, specifically commercial and business law. Going to do an Economics degree then GDL and LPC. long but it should be worth it. Im hopfully going to take a gap year and work at Pinsent Masons

good luck to yaa
    Bit specific there! What if they reject you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    I think they're one of the only firms that has a specific gap year scheme for people to do before uni, or at least they're the only one I know of, so that's probably why!
    Ah I misunderstood...I thought the poster meant they were going to take a gap year, then do GDL, then go and work at Pinsents. Faail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)
    Hiii QM is Queen Mary University of London
    Thanks for letting me know!

ReputationRep:
    OP did you only apply to 2 unis?

ReputationRep:
    ah yeas i should have been more clear. sorry. As it happens I was offered the job! happpy (for the first time in about 2 months)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricardom93)
    ah yeas i should have been more clear. sorry. As it happens I was offered the job! happpy (for the first time in about 2 months)
    Congrats, good luck there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    Congrats, good luck there!
    sorry for the awfully late reply...but thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would say go for PAIS, but i'm biased as hell. I'm here at Warwick doing an MA in Politics, and im down for my GDL in London from sept. I like to believe that if looking into public law having a background in politics alongside the GDL will make a nicer application than the standard LLB. With the GDL you actually have additional qualification than the LLB. In my opinion, because Politics is so relevant to law it makes it worth it, if you were looking at somewhat quite different to law, since it probably wouldn't strengthen your application too much then I would say LLB. However, remember a GDL is an additional £7,200 - £8,900 (depends on London or not) and thus you can skip that cost if you do the LLB. In my opinion, it really depends on the type of law you're looking at. I would say if its tax or commercial etc - go for the LLB, if it's constitutional, criminal or generally just public law - go for Politics.

P.S i'm working on the assumption that you are both equally interested in both politics and law, for if you prefer one to th other, do the one you prefer.

Like I said though, i'm biased as hell since im here at warwick doing politics about to do my GDL.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just finished my second year at the LSE studying law so I think I have at least a small amount of knowledge in this ares. I'd advise you to go to QMUL. It is a really good uni, especially for law where it is 4th in the country. And the overall ranking of QMUL will only go up because they are pumping loads of money into it now. I also think a straight law degree would be best for a city lawyer as you get to choose modules like commercial contracts, law of business associations etc rather than just the core modules if you were doing a conversion course. So in conclusion I would definitely choose QM if I were you and QM and Warwick are both equally appealing to me. Although I'm sure if you went to Warwick you could become a good lawyer and all it just seems unnecessary - you said you are certain that you want to be a lawyer and you have a very good offer from QM so if I were you I'd grab that opportunity.

What I would do now I were you - I would really research both unis, take into account what advice people give in this thread and make your mind up, then get some legal experience because this will be invaluable when applying for vacation schemes and training contracts, I got a vac scheme at Dewey & LeBoeuf based a lot on how impressed my interviewers were when I said I just went door to door of local solicitors asking for unpaid experience. So do that!

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Basically my advice would be to choose QM and secondly to get as much leal experience as possible. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jcoe88)
    I would say go for PAIS, but i'm biased as hell. I'm here at Warwick doing an MA in Politics, and im down for my GDL in London from sept. I like to believe that if looking into public law having a background in politics alongside the GDL will make a nicer application than the standard LLB. With the GDL you actually have additional qualification than the LLB. In my opinion, because Politics is so relevant to law it makes it worth it, if you were looking at somewhat quite different to law, since it probably wouldn't strengthen your application too much then I would say LLB. However, remember a GDL is an additional £7,200 - £8,900 (depends on London or not) and thus you can skip that cost if you do the LLB. In my opinion, it really depends on the type of law you're looking at. I would say if its tax or commercial etc - go for the LLB, if it's constitutional, criminal or generally just public law - go for Politics.

P.S i'm working on the assumption that you are both equally interested in both politics and law, for if you prefer one to th other, do the one you prefer.

Like I said though, i'm biased as hell since im here at warwick doing politics about to do my GDL.
    How is politics anymore relevant to law than any other non-law degree? By public law I assume you mean working immigration cases etc? Doing the relevant modules on your LLB would be of more use.

ReputationRep:
    FYI this thread is over 7 months old....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.