Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did well in my GCSEs, getting 8 A*s and 2 As. However, I now really regret taking two of my GCSE options; Business and Communication Systems and Media Studies. Looking back, I should really have taken more academic subjects, and I would now have loved to have carried on with a language.

I took Philosophy, Psychology, English Literature and History for A-Level.

Will these bad choices effect me getting into Uni? I've been told that I should be aiming for some of the top ones.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to look at what you have just written, think about it and look at yourself in the mirror. Should you really be aiming for top universities?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously doubt it, it's the A-levels that matter and you have done 4 good academic, essay based subjects. They won't give a damn if you did 2 slightly useless GCSE's. Chill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryBoy)
    I did well in my GCSEs, getting 8 A*s and 2 As. However, I now really regret taking two of my GCSE options; Business and Communication Systems and Media Studies. Looking back, I should really have taken more academic subjects, and I would now have loved to have carried on with a language.

I took Philosophy, Psychology, English Literature and History for A-Level.

Will these bad choices effect me getting into Uni? I've been told that I should be aiming for some of the top ones.
    In amongst my GCSEs is business studies and pottery, and neither of them have a high grade (B and C respectively.) I got an offer from LSE.

You'll be fine, they don't care what subjects your GCSEs are in.

ReputationRep:
    You are a first class wasteman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    In amongst my GCSEs is business studies and pottery, and neither of them have a high grade (B and C respectively.) I got an offer from LSE.

LSE is probably the Uni I most want to go to, so that's reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    You could make a film about how it has ruined your life.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have english maths and a science most universities really don't care

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're not thinking Oxbridge, unis won't care about which GCSEs you took, especially as at some schools GCSE subjects are obligatory.

ReputationRep:
    Media studies ? Thats a mickey mouse subject ! Your life is over.

ReputationRep:

Pottery? Is that a GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    Pottery? Is that a GCSE?
    Art (3D design) ... but it was all clay and pots, so I just call it pottery GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Art (3D design) ... but it was all clay and pots, so I just call it pottery GCSE.
    PMSL. . That just made my day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure most unis really look at your GCSEs, I think its fair enough that at 14 you're not exactly expected to be making the best decisions for the future.

ReputationRep:
    No one in the world will ever care about your GCSE results. At all. Seriously. Chill out.

Spoiler:
    Show
    As long as you have C or above in Maths and English, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    I think you need to look at what you have just written, think about it and look at yourself in the mirror. Should you really be aiming for top universities?
    Sheesh man, why so harsh?

Considering 2 of those A* were presumably in ****e subjects it might have an impact but I was told by a Cambridge grad that there is more correlation between good A-levels and good results at uni then GCSEs so you'l be ok.

An average student can get good GCSEs with hard work frankly.

ReputationRep:
    WTF I'm not even worried about going to uni and you pissed on me grade wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Ouch Sango! Harsh...

You can do a GCSE in pottery?? :eek: I'm so jealous! There I was doing Art and Design at GCSE like a mug... :sigh:

OP, don't worry! Your A level subjects are strong. One of my two A*s was in Media Studies (:facepalm:) and I also did Art and Design (C). I wish someone had told me how hard it is to get a decent grade in Art!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    You can do a GCSE in pottery?? :eek: I'm so jealous! There I was doing Art and Design at GCSE like a mug... :sigh:
    Technically, it's 'art and design (3D design)' ... but it's all clay and pots, so just easier to call it a pottery GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.