The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Ja, lov=ferie=semester.
Jag förstår inte heller vad en svensdag är.
Original post by Luceria
Errr.. Oh how hilarious.

not really,its just being out here on the tundra,its got to me, the whiteness,the nothingness.the endlessnessness.
Reply 122
Original post by Luceria
Quick weather update.. Well today is a nice day! :^_^:

19 C / 66 F.. on the west coast. Very summery. Too bad it's only temporary. It's only April after all.

Bring back the snow! We had awesome snow this year in Nottingham, now . . . we do not. :frown:
Reply 123
Original post by Luceria
Bring back the snow? Are you mad ? :tongue: .. Snow is OK in December, but that's the only month I'll tolerate it. Of course, it doesn't snow much where I live. And it usually does not stay long. 2009 was the first white Christmas in 10 years, I think.

Except winter 2009-2010. Most insane winter I've experienced in my whole life. Snow from the middle of December to March, crazy weather, much colder than usual. It was like being stuck in an eternal wintery Narnia. I almost kissed the
ground when I saw it again!

I could live with snow all year, that'd be schweeeeet.

I was in Oslo during that time, 'twas awesome indeed. :cool:
Reply 124
Original post by Luceria
Snow all year? You're most definitely mad. Haha. I prefer four seasons.
The winters are colder in Oslo as well. And I don't like being cold.

It's fine if you dress properly. A hat and a warm coat, and longjohns if you don't mind feeling silly.
Reply 125
Original post by Luceria
Everything is fine if you dress "properly".. "No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

Though I highly prefer no snow at all (except in December), and mild winters. Cold and snow just creates a lot of problems. But never once have I had a snow day. :rolleyes:

So dress properly and love the snow. :biggrin:

I've had my old school close down a few times because of snow, it's just an excuse to have the day off. Hah!

On a Norway related note: does anyone like the Norwegian folk band Lumsk?
Reply 126
The snow can **** off. Makes my life miserable (apart from when skiing).

Also, snow days are amazing, i will never get one again :sad:
Reply 127
Hey hey hey . . . I won't have the wonderful snow badmouthed, no BLASPHEMED against, like this! *Throws a Snowball o' Doom*
Reply 128
Original post by Luceria
You ought to move to Svalbard.

If only . . .

:heart::hoppy::heart: <---This would be me
Reply 129
Original post by Luceria
Indeed. And the snow has a nasty habit of melting, then freezing again.. Melting then freezing again... And soon you're left with ice everywhere.

I've never had a snow day! Such concept does not exist here. People mostly laugh when they hear about snow days. And I'm not jealous :mad:.. Hmpf.

Oh yeah, and when that happens on the weekend, nobody comes and grits the roads...grr :shakecane:
Reply 130
Original post by Luceria
Have I understood this correctly.... In Britain people mostly have chocolate easter eggs? And not eggs you fill up with candy?
Those chocolate eggs look nice :coma:

Yeah, chocolate eggs that usually have more chocolate inside them :teeth: I used to get like, 10 every year (big family).

Is it wrong that I want a bunad? I think they are cool! But I don't have enough cash...
Reply 131
Bunads are ftw!

Hah, I have the Oslo one (and Luceria will probably argue that's not a proper bunad or whatever, but I don't care! I love it, as it makes me look like a rich douche from the 1800s or something like that :^_^:)
Reply 132
If I was gonna get one, I'd have to get the Oslo one. Unless there's a special one for foreigners? The other 2 places I've spent a lot of time in are Gol and Fredrikstad. Do they have decent ones?
Ok so I'm not Norwegian but I lived there for 4 years and trust me Norway played a very significant setting to my childhood. Now I moved back to my home country (sri lanka) and everyone tells me I'm a wannabe Norwegian(I'm not!!!:mad:) and backstab me and constantly refer to me as "the Norwegian wannabe girl". Why? because I told them that Norway was such a great and beautiful country.... -_-

Anyways it's been 4 years since I moved here and I can still say jeg har ikke glemmet norsken min!!" haha:ahee:
Reply 134
Original post by savetheplanet
Ok so I'm not Norwegian but I lived there for 4 years and trust me Norway played a very significant setting to my childhood. Now I moved back to my home country (sri lanka) and everyone tells me I'm a wannabe Norwegian(I'm not!!!:mad:) and backstab me and constantly refer to me as &quot;the Norwegian wannabe girl&quot;. Why? because I told them that Norway was such a great and beautiful country.... -_-

Anyways it's been 4 years since I moved here and I can still say jeg har ikke glemmet norsken min!!&quot; haha:ahee:

Any plans to move back to Norway at some point?
Original post by Becca
Any plans to move back to Norway at some point?

Omg I'd love to.!...but I'm not sure whether that would mean I have to get norwegian citizenship there?
Reply 136
Original post by Luceria
I've never heard of a special "foreigner" bunad, haha. You're supposed
to have a bunad from where your family is from /a place in Norway you have a connection to/your home county . But not everyone follows that.

I've never really heard much about the Oslo bunad. Is it even a bunad? Some call it a "drakt".. Or maybe it was just made really late. Is it blue? I have no idea about Fredrikstad and Gol.

I'm not quite sure. The drakt thing seems to apply to quite a few of those normally referred to as bunads, but I call them bunads too. And yes, it's blue (awesome, dark blue :^_^:).
WIKIPEDIA
(...) Begrepet bunad kan derfor brukes om svært forskjellige former for klesplagg: alt fra genuine folkedrakter fra 1800-tallet til nykonstruerte plagg uten særlig historisk forankring (...)

http://www.sov.no/herrebunad.htm is the site for the man-version of it. They have some rather terrible pictures though, and the site looks like it was made in the 90s, lol.
Reply 137
Original post by savetheplanet
Omg I'd love to.!...but I'm not sure whether that would mean I have to get norwegian citizenship there?

Oh yeah! You're not from the EU so you can't just randomly move to live in Norway like I did. You have to get a job here, get pregnant by a Norwegian man or marry one (or both) before they'll let you stay :p:
Or be a refugee.
Reply 138
Original post by Becca
Oh yeah! You're not from the EU so you can't just randomly move to live in Norway like I did. You have to get a job here, get pregnant by a Norwegian man or marry one (or both) before they'll let you stay :p:
Or be a refugee.

How hard did you find it? I'm moving after my degree, in a couple of months.
Reply 139
Original post by Einheri
How hard did you find it? I'm moving after my degree, in a couple of months.

Not too bad. Got pretty depressed at the Centre for Foreign Workers though. Do you have a job lined up? If so, that will make it much easier.

Quick Reply

Latest