Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim and Jewish groups object to labelling of ritually slaughtered meat Watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont see the problem here although I only eat kosher meat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...meat-labelling

ReputationRep:
    The only reason someone wouldn't want that label is if they thought it would reduce their sales. If truth reduces their sales then that says a lot about them.

To be fair though, all 'unstunned' meat should be labelled as such.

ReputationRep:
    Stunned meat: Flash banged for your moral high-ground.

ITT this is all just a little bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    I eat halal. It's cleaner, imo but they have every right to label as some people feel strongly about this.

ReputationRep:
    Ive never seen an article that says that halal/kosher causes more harm than stunning apart from meat companies and the RSPCA. Killing animals is undoubtedly going to cause pain,regardless of the method which can explain the RSPCA's bias.

Non halal meat is cheaper,meaning bigger profits for meat companies; again,another bias.

Its been proposed that if stunning is proved to cause less harm to animals (from a neutral source) then it would be halal to stun the animal,and then slit its head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Ive never seen an article that says that halal/kosher causes more harm than stunning apart from meat companies and the RSPCA. Killing animals is undoubtedly going to cause pain,regardless of the method which can explain the RSPCA's bias.

Non halal meat is cheaper,meaning bigger profits for meat companies; again,another bias.

Its been proposed that if stunning is proved to cause less harm to animals (from a neutral source) then it would be halal to stun the animal,and then slit its head
    So, are you saying the RSPCA is bias as Hala/Kosher causes more pain?

Edit; Negged for asking for clarification? Oh TSR....

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks killing is killing?

I understand the reason why Muslims/Jews have halal/kosher meat and I respect those views. However, you're still breeding an animal to be killed so why does the label matter so much? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I didnt say that. If the RSPCA had their way,all meat would be banned. Why not start with what the public is scared/ignorant of?

ReputationRep:
    killing is killing... you cant disguise it by a prayer in the name of your god. thats just stupid

ReputationRep:
    Why are they complaining? It makes it easier for them to find religiously prepared meat and avoid that which isn't. They won't have to go to niche food stores to find it.

Are they just upset at that people want to know what's on their dinner plate? Or perhaps that ordinary Britons would prefer to eat meat free from religious preparation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.