Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who has been to the USA on a medical elective or is planning to go, know if a visa is required (with a full british passport) or are medical students eligible to travel (for around 6 weeks) under the visa waiver programme ?
    In addition do the visa requirements change if i have applied to do a medical placement directly through a hospital rather than through a medical school over there?

I would be really grateful for the advice as i am slightly confused.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit complicated.

You need a B1 visa, which is a business class non-immigration visa which is typically handed out at the border when you submit a small fee and a letter from your medical school (and the teaching hospital in the states) stating that you are going to go on an unpaid clinical rotation as part of your medical education.

The problem is that most border guards are unaware that the B1 is used for foreign medical school students (of foreign schools) - this is because the F1 and J1 visas exist for foreign students of American medical schools and they are sponsored by the schools themselves. So when you are coming from the UK and telling them that you are going there for medical education they could get pushy and insist that you can only get in under that even though its wrong because you are a student of your UK school not the US school.

Also how long your B1 visa is issued for seems to be a function of how cute a girl you are (if your border guard is a man) and inversely to how dangerous looking a minority you are. They could potentially only give you 1 month, or 3 months, some of them think they're being generous with 6 months. I was working at a hospital for a while and only the 3 cute blonde girls in the class of foreign students coming in got 6 month visas, one of them got a year long one which is tough in some places.

You can do the visa waiver program which would be easiest of course, but only if you're planning to be there for such a short period of time. If that's your plan I would certainly not mention what you are planning on going to do because pretty much all the guards are trained for is to stop terrorists and stop illegal immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailWhale)
    It's a bit complicated.
    Also how long your B1 visa is issued for seems to be a function of how cute a girl you are (if your border guard is a man) and inversely to how dangerous looking a minority you are...
    Or where you're entering!

I'd read all the blurb & had everything ready in my travel wallet for the B1 schizzle. But at the border my immigration person didn't think it was necessary at all & just wanted me in under VWP?!

Whereas for a 1-2 week stay before I've been grilled on what I will return to the UK for & why my "boyfriend" (resident alien :rolleyes: ) at the time hadn't married me yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Or where you're entering!

I'd read all the blurb & had everything ready in my travel wallet for the B1 schizzle. But at the border my immigration person didn't think it was necessary at all & just wanted me in under VWP?!

Whereas for a 1-2 week stay before I've been grilled on what I will return to the UK for & why my "boyfriend" (resident alien :rolleyes: ) at the time hadn't married me yet...
    if you're under 90 days then VWP makes more sense than B1, but if you give med school as your reason they might ***** about that and say you need a visa if its not specifically listed (it's somewhat open to interpretation what activity you're going for)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.