Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IS GCSE Foreign Language vital for Uni's ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is a GCSE Language compulsory for any uni's?
    If not compulsory if you don't have it will it lower your chances of getting in greatly?

ReputationRep:
    IF i am going to only get a B is it worth dropping if it will improve my other subjects? e.g. get 4A* instead of 2A*?

ReputationRep:
    It's not compulsory at many, although I think a few places might still have the requirement. However, if you have the opportunity to do a GCSE language you definitely should. It should never have been made optional in my opinion - it's just as important as maths, english and sciences for a well rounded general education. Having said that, GCSE languages are completely dumbed down unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Well i made the debateable decision to drop it so i am not doing an language, i want to do a history or PPE degree ?
    Is it vital ?

ReputationRep:
    You might want to concentrate on your English.

As far as I am aware it's not vital for any Unis. It certainly helps to have it on your application, but it's not a major loss if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    THANK GOD! i got so worried that without it i would be stuffed,
    yes that was the reason i dropped it to help my english, 6A*s 3A's-4A*'s 5A would be my max poteintal i could get in GCSE's would that be good enough for a russel group uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singe95)
    Well i made the debateable decision to drop it so i am not doing an language, i want to do a history or PPE degree ?
    Is it vital ?
    Just check the entry requiremens for the unis you want to apply to. I think Edinburgh, for example, asks for a MFL for its arts and humanities degrees. But generally most unis don't demand one. So it may not be vital, but it's certainly a great benefit.

Can I ask why you dropped it? Which language was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Just check the entry requiremens for the unis you want to apply to. I think Edinburgh, for example, asks for a MFL for its arts and humanities degrees. But generally most unis don't demand one. So it may not be vital, but it's certainly a great benefit.

Can I ask why you dropped it? Which language was it?
    I dropped French because i knew to have any chance i would need to improve my English and get atleast 5A* so i thought i need to go for this.... suicidal not doing language?

ReputationRep:
    i did my gcse'z and merked it. got all a*'s and a's but i didnt do a lang, but now im doing french gcse in my a levels as well as my other 7 a levels. A lang is a must if u aim to go to a TOP UNI! uni's will use the lang to seperate students =)

ReputationRep:
    Is a GCSE Language compulsory for any uni's?
    If not compulsory if you don't have it will it lower your chances of getting in greatly?
    As others have said, not vital but some universities (such as St. Andrews) like it and a language GCSE is definitely an added bonus. I'd recommend anyone doing their GCSEs to take a Language GCSE.

No.

ReputationRep:
    Well i am not doing it but if i get 5A* and 4 A's and 3A's at A-level are the chances still high> ? <

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    i did my gcse'z and merked it. got all a*'s and a's but i didnt do a lang, but now im doing french gcse in my a levels as well as my other 7 a levels. A lang is a must if u aim to go to a TOP UNI! uni's will use the lang to seperate students =)
    are u sure it's a must?

ReputationRep:
    are u sure it's a must?
    No. It isn't. That individual is a moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    No. It isn't. That individual is a moron.
    Thank you very much i was beginning to get upset i just need some reassurance that i can get into a top 5 uni with 4A*'s and 5As? atm without an language ? Be 100% honest have I made such a BIG mistake????

ReputationRep:
    are u sure it's a must?
    its nt a must....but if u wanna go to a top uni and are being offered a chance...do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackso)
    no. It isn't. That individual is a moron.
    rip jackso......rip m.jackson :e:e:e:e:e:e:e

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    its nt a must....but if u wanna go to a top uni and are being offered a chance...do it
    I am doing my GCSE's this summer and have dropped it already and it is too late, are my chances '0'? go i am upset

ReputationRep:
    i didnt do one, depends what course you want to do, i wud imagine if u want to do a science maths degree then its fine, but maybe something more languagey, english, humanities or something it may be useful? who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much i was beginning to get upset i just need some reassurance that i can get into a top 5 uni with 4A*'s and 5As? atm without an language ? Be 100% honest have I made such a BIG mistake????
    My friend had an interview at Oxford the past week without a language and also has offers from Warwick and Nottingham. It really isn't a big deal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.