The Student Room Group

I'm completely work-shy. Anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

That is all well and good while you are young. By the time You are old and realise you are not entitled to much of a pension at all and realise you have nothing. The longer you stay in the mindset that you have the more corrosive it will be and the harder it will be to drag yourself out if you finnaly decide to and grow tied of managing on the absolute minimum. Do you still want to be flatsharing with wasters at 50?

Up to you obviously though.
At some point, when Mummy and Daddy stop bailing you out, you'll have to get a job.
Gutted for you.
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
ha yeah but he's also claiming benefits - benefits that come out of the ridiculous amount of tax I have to pay every month.

I've already suggested that if you don't like paying taxes, you can just quit your job. Man up.

I wouldn't mind but the jebend ain't even grateful - he's lucky theres people that are willing to work so he can doss about whinging and bitching all day.

Strange, I don't remember anyone whinging and bitching. No, wait, I do remember someone whinging and bitching...you.

Man up, wheres your work ethic son?! Back in the day you would of been scum of earth

What day was that? I must have missed that day when studying history.

and now suddenly benefits scroungers are the majority

Even if we take "scroungers" to mean "anyone claiming benefits", ignoring the narrative that there is somehow something wrong with claiming benefits, you still suffer from a pretty severe error of math.

and its seen as fair play - don't want to rant

Then don't.

but it makes me sick.

déja vu

I guess thats the difference between someone who has been bought up properly and someone who acts like society owes them something....sad times.

Wait, who was it that was claiming someone owes them something, again?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Wesker115
Of course, because the be all and end all of life is exam scores and degree classifications.
Well done on being above working and good luck in your shadow of an existence.

Thanks! :smile:

No he don't, he relies on his mum, dad and friends. They pay for his iPhone contract and internet connection.

That's what friends are for right? :wink:

I don't have a phone and my landlord/rent pays for the internet connection.

Original post by Pyrrho
You owe it to yourself and to your country to get up off your backside and get a job. It's a shame and a waste that you have put so much time and effort into building such an envious academic record and now you have basically decided to give up at this crucial point in your life.

time, maybe, but no effort, haha. That's the thing, I never had to work at school or uni, so never got into that habit.

ha yeah but he's also claiming benefits - benefits that come out of the ridiculous amount of tax I have to pay every month. I wouldn't mind but the jebend ain't even grateful - he's lucky theres people that are willing to work so he can doss about whinging and bitching all day. Man up, wheres your work ethic son?! Back in the day you would of been scum of earth, and now suddenly benefits scroungers are the majority and its seen as fair play - don't want to rant but it makes me sick. I guess thats the difference between someone who has been bought up properly and someone who acts like society owes them something....sad times.

:sexface:
Original post by James Gregory
I've already suggested that if you don't like paying taxes, you can just quit your job. Man up.

Strange, I don't remember anyone whinging and bitching. No, wait, I do remember someone whinging and bitching...you.

What day was that? I must have missed that day when studying history.

Even if we take "scroungers" to mean "anyone claiming benefits", ignoring the narrative that there is somehow something wrong with claiming benefits, you still suffer from a pretty severe error of math.

Then don't.

déja vu

Wait, who was it that was claiming someone owes them something, again?

Ahaha! Why are you sticking up for someone who cannot be bothered to get a job and is seemingly quite proud to admit it?? Again, I have pride in myself and have been bought up to believe that if I want something, I work to pay for it myself. This has taught me to respect money and myself - this is the way people should live their lives. Fact. I'm not asking you to argue with me and I have every right to complain when a 25 year old man who is presumably fit and able to work is living off the goodwill of others because he can’t be bothered to get out of bed in the morning - where’s the gratitude?! I'm referring to the days when people who weren't willing to work where not supplemented by a nanny state and provided with better living conditions then those who are too proud to accept handouts - act as smart as you like boy, you know I'm right and the fact is you're embarrassed to admit it. Obviously I am not referring to Everyone who claims benefits, some are completely justified, such as those who are unable to work because they are single mothers looking after children, are disabled and so on. I have no problem with these people receiving support - aside from that, if you're able to work, work. It’s as simple as that.
Ahaha! Why are you sticking up for someone who cannot be bothered to get a job and is seemingly quite proud to admit it?? Again, I have pride in myself and have been bought up to believe that if I want something, I work to pay for it myself. This has taught me to respect money and myself - this is the way people should live their lives. Fact.

Your "fact" lacks supporting evidence. I do not believe your fact to be true, indeed, I believe it to be false. I respect myself and others, but I have absolutely zero respect for money.

I'm not asking you to argue with me

Well, actually, you clearly are, because if you post a message on a public discussion forum you are inviting people to respond to it. That's the way it works. If you can't deal with opinions and beliefs that differ to your own, then I'd advise you to avoid the internet.

and I have every right to complain when a 25 year old man who is presumably fit and able to work is living off the goodwill of others because he can’t be bothered to get out of bed in the morning - where’s the gratitude?!

Economic and social interactions are infinitely more complex than it being a simple case of "the more people work, the less taxes people pay, and the better off everyone is". And people claiming benefit are not living off your goodwill, because if it was up to you then you wouldn't pay tax. So your assertion is logically false.

I'm referring to the days when people who weren't willing to work where not supplemented by a nanny state and provided with better living conditions then those who are too proud to accept handouts

Sure, a welfare state has not always existed, but that doesn't mean that jobless people in the past were, as you put it, "scum of the earth". They were just poorer, and ill more often, and died earlier.

- act as smart as you like boy, you know I'm right and the fact is you're embarrassed to admit it.

Perhaps you will go through your whole life believing that those who disagree with you are in secret actually in agreement with you, in some sort of utterly bizarre conspiracy. I can certainly see how such self-deception could be helpful.
Original post by James Gregory
Your "fact" lacks supporting evidence. I do not believe your fact to be true, indeed, I believe it to be false. I respect myself and others, but I have absolutely zero respect for money.

Well, actually, you clearly are, because if you post a message on a public discussion forum you are inviting people to respond to it. That's the way it works. If you can't deal with opinions and beliefs that differ to your own, then I'd advise you to avoid the internet.

Economic and social interactions are infinitely more complex than it being a simple case of "the more people work, the less taxes people pay, and the better off everyone is". And people claiming benefit are not living off your goodwill, because if it was up to you then you wouldn't pay tax. So your assertion is logically false.

Sure, a welfare state has not always existed, but that doesn't mean that jobless people in the past were, as you put it, "scum of the earth". They were just poorer, and ill more often, and died earlier.

Perhaps you will go through your whole life believing that those who disagree with you are in secret actually in agreement with you, in some sort of utterly bizarre conspiracy. I can certainly see how such self-deception could be helpful.

Look, our opinions differ, I respect yours but the fact remains that I cannot have any empathy for or value anyone who is simply not willing to work. End of. I have no choice but to pay tax, I'm not bitter about this because I'm able to support myself financially by working hard and obviously this also contributes to public services that I benefit from. However, if OP is happy to spend his life living off others, hooray for him, I'd just appreciate it if he wouldn't broadcast the fact as it grates on people like me who are willing to pay their way...
Reply 67
James, do you not think that if you applied your meticulous, step by step, analytic method that you are currently utilising on DizzeeKid's posts towards the job search process you may actually get one?

Just a thought. But by all means, carry on with the important things ;-)
James, do you not think that if you applied your meticulous, step by step, analytic method that you are currently utilising on DizzeeKid's posts towards the job search process you may actually get one?

Just a thought. But by all means, carry on with the important things ;-)

I love you.
People like OP make me feel physically sick that I get up at 6am every morning, work two jobs and pay tax for your pathetic existence.

OK. Have you considered how much tax you are actually contributing to his ''pathetic existence''?...

…Let’s say you earn the average UK income of £24,000 and pay about £5,000 tax per year.

The UK’s 30 million workers pay around £150,000,000,000 of Tax every year i.e. £150 billion, (excluding VAT, Capital Gains tax etc).

So last year, roughly:

50% of your taxes went on propping up the failed banks, funding ‘Fred the Shreds’ £8 million pension pot and £5 billion worth of banker’s bonuses etc.

1 millionth of a % of your taxes went on paying for his ''pathetic existence''.

So roughly you paid him 0.001p

If paying him 0.001p bothers you that much, he’ll probably give you a refund.
Original post by Brandon4321
OK. Have you considered how much tax you are actually contributing to his ''pathetic existence''?...

…Let’s say you earn the average UK income of £24,000 and pay about £5,000 tax per year.

The UK’s 30 million workers pay around £150,000,000,000 of Tax every year i.e. £150 billion, (excluding VAT, Capital Gains tax etc).

So last year, roughly:

50% of your taxes went on propping up the failed banks, funding ‘Fred the Shreds’ £8 million pension pot and £5 billion worth of banker’s bonuses etc.

1 millionth of a % of your taxes went on paying for his ''pathetic existence''.

So roughly you paid him 0.001p

If paying him 0.001p bothers you that much, he’ll probably give you a refund.

I appreciate your statistical and mathematical skill, but the point is, I am contributing - the amount is insignificant.
Reply 71
I love you.

Oh stop it, you'll make me blush :wink:
Reply 72
I appreciate your statistical and mathematical skill, but the point is, I am contributing - the amount is insignificant.

We all pay each other's wages one way or another. When I buy stuff from whatever scummy shop you work in, I'm paying yours.
Original post by cttp_ngaf
We all pay each other's wages one way or another. When I buy stuff from whatever scummy shop you work in, I'm paying yours.

With my money? No worries son, I just hope you're using it wisely. Also, love the fact that youre discrediting my vocation despite the fact you happen to know nothing about it. Better any job than no job though ay? You lowlife :smile:
Reply 74
With my money?

Some of it, yep. It all goes round and round, pointless really.

Also, love the fact that youre discrediting my vocation despite the fact you happen to know nothing about it.

Bit strange that you love it, but that's cool.

Better any job than no job though ay?

I disagree. I don't find any honour in wasting my time like that.
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Some of it, yep. It all goes round and round, pointless really.

Bit strange that you love it, but that's cool.

I disagree. I don't find any honour in wasting my time like that.

I see you have inherited tips from your bumbuddy, congratulations; you are capable of mental development then? But....all you do is waste time because you clearly have nothing to fill your time with?? In any case, I'm bored of this now. Enjoy your life, best of luck for the future, its been most enjoyable talking with you young man.
Reply 76
Your just being lazy, get off your arse and make an effort
Reply 77
Original post by dews1290
Your just being lazy, get off your arse and make an effort

*you're

And why?
Reply 78
Join the Army
Reply 79
OP you are a legend. :biggrin:

Quick Reply