Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

A little background. I completed a BA in human resource management in 2007 with a 2:2. I had very little interest in the course and knew fairly early on I'd made a bad choice, but decided to persevere with it, minus much effort or enthusiasm unfortunately.

From there, I completed a bog standard four week TEFL course, which was required for a teaching position I fancied in Thailand.

That will have been three years ago in April, when my current contract expires. I've decided not to renew, even though I really enjoy my work here and will be very sad to leave. The work is teaching English to children aged 3 to 13 in a Thai primary school.

Over the years here I've found a field I am interested in and want to make a long term career out of.

I've decided to return to the UK and get some more relevant education behind me so I can move up the TESOL career ladder.

I've looked into DELTA courses, but my interest lies firmly with young learners, so I'm not convinced this would be the right course for me.

Now I'm going down the MA in TESOL or similar. I've looked at many courses across the UK, but am feeling a little lost on which to apply to.

I want a course that will both widen my knowledge and understanding of the TESOL field, and make me more employable in higher end jobs around the world, and offer me a chance to be employable in the UK should I ever choose to return and work there.

Can I expect to achieve both/either of these aims with an MA?

I'm also worried that with a 2:2 in an unrelated field I could find getting onto these course difficult. Will my experience help override my education?

Anyone who is studying or has studied one of these courses, I'd be so grateful to hear what you've got to say.

Also, anyone with any opinion on whether I'm taking the right path or not, please voice it.

Any advice or words of wisdom/warning will be received with thanks.

Kate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.