Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you lived in a 6 hour LDR, and had free travel, would you go all the way??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Let's say you and your partner lived 6 hours apart in an LDR, but your travel is free (i'm the guy whose parents worked in form of transport so you have a pass), would you travel the entire distance to see them, if it cost a lot, etc, for them?

- guy 0 hours, girl 6 hours = unfair and too expensive

- guy 1 hour, girl 5 hours = unfair and too expensive

- guy 2 hours, girl 4 hours = unfair and expensive

- guy 3 hours, girl 3 hours = normal compromise if no travel pass but get to spend limited time together

- guy 4 hours, girl 2 hours = can be costly but not too bad, get to spend 'okayish' time together

- guy 5 hours, girl 1 hour = reasonable with travel pass and get to spend fair bit of time together

- guy 6 hours, girl 0 hours = pretty generous from the guy and get to spend most time together

Atm, I travel the full distance (recently) and though I don't mind, with the snow and weather conditions, I leave at like 4.35am (so wake up like 3) and get home like 12-1am, the following day, so i'm just wondering, in the new year, which sort of compromise would you think is best?

I know we have limited time together atm, so seeing as my travel is free and I can jump on any train, rather than selected trains and paying like she would, should I just continue to leave early in the morning and travel the full distance so she doesn't have to pay much/anything?

We've done me travel 5 hours and her 1 hour a few times too, which costs her about a tenner return, which isn't too bad, and me travel 4 hours and her 2 once, but that cost her around £30, so I don't know which is best.

If you were in the situation, which option would you take? I think me 5, her 1 is probably the one we'll continue with, seeing as it's far enough away from home for 'family' to see her, and it's free for me, and not too much for her and if I leave earlier, we get to spend more time together.

ReputationRep:
    why are you here if you think option 5-1 is the one you will continue with? it's pretty pointless posting if you already have decided which one you will go on with? :<

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't travel for more than 4 hours anywhere unless I was staying for at least 1 night tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I had to travel just over 3 hours in a previous relationship, i'd stay there for several days but i definitely wouldn't travel any further

ReputationRep:
    Oh and i think you may as well just travel the whole way seeing as it's free for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I wouldn't travel for more than 4 hours anywhere unless I was staying for at least 1 night tbh.
    Can't - strict family, etc.

I could in a hotel, like a cheap one (£19 on weekend and £29 on weekdays), I guess.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    If you meet somewhere that isn't "at either end" (i.e 0-6 or 6-0) wouldn't you have to spend time together out rather than at each others house/ flat or whatever, and wouldn't that be less preferable, given how little you see each other anyway?
    I mean, coffee and a catch-up is fine once in a while, but you can't really snuggle up much...
    Thing is, we can't go to each others houses anyway - so the 'snuggle' we do in like random fields or tents or whatever.

I made another thread about LDR sex (or lack of in my case ) and suggested a hotel idea which others said seeing as I wouldn't be getting an apartment until September/October was a good idea.

But this thread is just pure travel, meet, shop, cinema, just spend time together as couples. I guess I can wait for sex, it'll make it more special and one year is gone, one more to go!

So do you think I should carry on going all the way? Or 5 hours and her 1?

ReputationRep:
    I think 3 hours each, as it would make more sense than you travelling 6 hours to get to her, as 3 hours each would save time.. If you both leave at say 6am.. You get to wherever at 9am.. Whereas if either of you leave at 6am to get to the other person.. It would take 6 hours, so you would get there at 12pm

ReputationRep:
    3 hours each and split the cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPixie)
    I think 3 hours each, as it would make more sense than you travelling 6 hours to get to her, as 3 hours each would save time.. If you both leave at say 6am.. You get to wherever at 9am.. Whereas if either of you leave at 6am to get to the other person.. It would take 6 hours, so you would get there at 12pm
    M'hmmm, interesting.

But it also means 3 hours less 'later-time', in which she has to go home earlier...?

Plus, I can leave at 4.35, 5.50, 6.50, whenever... she'd be butchered into full english breakfast if she left at that time, if and when she's rarely found an excuse to go out at all.

Miss her.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you are whipped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Sounds like you are whipped.
    Say what?

ReputationRep:
    If it's just the day there's no point in travelling 6 hours.
    But if it was for a week then yeah I would.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    im in a 4hour LDR and we split it so ill go to his and then the next time he comes to mine. we manage to see each other once every 2 weeks at best but if it was free id go all the time!!
    cant you stay at hers overnight or for a few days? 6 hour journey is a lot to do all in 1 day!

ReputationRep:
    Depends how good the sex was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Depends how good the sex was.
    I'd travel 600 hours for that.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt Travel at all.

Unless shes great in bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amuroray)
    I wouldnt Travel at all.

Unless shes great in bed.
    Because relationships obviously = sex only...?

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    So hang on when you say 6 hours, do you mean 1 way? So essentially it's like 12 hours round trip?! I think that's a bit excessive?

And if she left at the same time as you and you met in the middle- surely you'd have enough time together? What's the timeframe that she's allowed to see you in?
    Otherwise the only other solution would be to stay over and then see her the next day also before going back.

BTW Im assuming you don't drive? Car helps so much! My bf used to have to drive to see me all the time but what would take me 2.5 hours takes him 45mins-1hr by car.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.