Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok

So I was thinking of buying an iPad/tablet PC/netbook and was wondering if I could get some advice from people on here. I have a working laptop that I would probably use for doing most of my work. It would be nice to have something to use to take notes in lectures and to organise myself.

I'm only toying with the idea at the moment but my question is, is it worth getting an iPad? If so, why? If not, what would be a better idea?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Ok

So I was thinking of buying an iPad/tablet PC/netbook and was wondering if I could get some advice from people on here. I have a working laptop that I would probably use for doing most of my work. It would be nice to have something to use to take notes in lectures and to organise myself.

I'm only toying with the idea at the moment but my question is, is it worth getting an iPad? If so, why? If not, what would be a better idea?

Thanks.
    Paper

Pen

Academic Planer

Slightly less than the £429 for an iPad and none of the distractions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesyB)
    Paper

Pen

Academic Planer

Gee why didn't I think of that in the first place :rolleyes:

Thanks for your contribution.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get an iPad, unless you work on screen on the BBC where it seems to be a requirement these days, otherwise you'll look like the utter douche that iPad owners are.

ReputationRep:
    Gee why didn't I think of that in the first place :rolleyes:

Thanks for your contribution.
    It really is my pleasure. /sarcasm.

You said you have a laptop, so if you don't want to take notes on that, why would an iPad be better? Plus, you'll just end up playing Angry Birds on it during lectures....

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a cliché thing to say, but my friend got one, and he's looking to sell it now. Don't waste your money, it's just another crappy fad.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really considering one, I'd wait for a bit. A better version of the current iPad is rumoured to be coming out in February/March time and it's supposed to have FaceTime, Retina display, etc And then at least you'll have more time to think if you REALLY want one or not.

ReputationRep:
    It's the most pointless bit of technology ever.

Too big to be used as a smart phone, to small to be used as a laptop. Don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, it hasn't got any USB ports...

But think of an iPad like a bicycle. There are times when you want to travel to a place that is too far to walk, but too close to drive. That's when you cycle, right?
    an iPad is easier to use than a smartphone for browsing the web, checking emails, etc, but it's so restricted compared to a laptop.

My recommendation; buy a netbook or a laptop! then download Google Chrome. You can have web store apps, and save things to the cloud, etc. It's pretty nifty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesyB)
    Paper

Pen

Academic Planer

Access to all the applications out there make it hell of a lot more than a writing pad.
    They are worth it.
    Ask people who have got them.

ReputationRep:
    Ok

Thanks.
    I'll be getting one when I go to university.

My older brother has one. It's immense. The note taking app you can get is amazing. So easy to take notes. Imagine having a whole files worth of work on that thing.

I don't know if it's going to be worth the money but I think it will be. Things like reading the paper on the bus. Not to mention we have a treadmill and the Ipad fits perfectly in the holder. My brother uses it to watch full movies while he's on his treadmill. He's got fitter as a result.

Also I know for a fact it's good for musicians. Some of the apps for guitar are pretty useful.

I'll always be an apple fan as long as it's so easy to use and also as long as they have so many applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Access to all the applications out there make it hell of a lot more than a writing pad.
    They are worth it.
    Ask people who have got them.
    Yes, the applications are good, but he's looking to buy it as a note taking device. I've got nothing against the iPad, but for taking notes, nothing is better or easier than pen and paper. You're more likely to remember something you've written down with pen and paper than you are if you've only read or heard it. I doubt the same can be said for typing it on an iPad.

ReputationRep:
    Ok

Thanks.

I adore mine, it goes everywhere with me (although I don't really like using it in public because everyone gawps at it).

My uses for it:
    - I use it for watching movies on on planes/trains and also to watch TV on at work when it's quiet
    - When reading a good book I prefer holding the iPad to holding an actual book
    - The occasional game or two... great for free cell
    - I watch BBC iPlayer on it in bed... brilliant for lazy mornings
    - Some brief surfing/emailing but I prefer to use the computer for that
    - Most of all I use it to study/revise on.

Whether iPads are worth getting or not really depend on the person... I don't have a laptop so I'm not sure how much I would want to use it if I did. I think they're simply intended to make things you like doing more convenient (and they're very good at that) rather than to revolutionise the way you live. If you have an iPhone, it will do pretty much all the same things as an iPad, it's just more convenient and more enjoyable on a larger screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)

My older brother has one. It's immense. The note taking app you can get is amazing. So easy to take notes. Imagine having a whole files worth of work on that thing.

I don't know if it's going to be worth the money but I think it will be. Things like reading the paper on the bus. Not to mention we have a treadmill and the Ipad fits perfectly in the holder. My brother uses it to watch full movies while he's on his treadmill. He's got fitter as a result.

Also I know for a fact it's good for musicians. Some of the apps for guitar are pretty useful.

I'll always be an apple fan as long as it's so easy to use and also as long as they have so many applications.
    Maybe I have fatter fingers than your brother but it's well nigh impossible to type well or fast with the on screen keyboard.

But ohh yes an hour on the exercise bike goes so much faster with my iPad in front of me!

ReputationRep:
    Not now, no.

iPad 2 / Blackberry Playbook / Tegra powered Android devices will all be coming out early next year, making it somewhat redundant.

ReputationRep:

this. I am also thinking of getting the iphone as well as the ipad.

ReputationRep:
    i would personally get a tablet pc over it, i played with one in the apple store briefly, just seemed like a large iphone, and i couldn't type on the screen properly, a laptop/netbook would serve better, or just get an iphone, notebook and pen (paper chase do some really nice notebooks)

ReputationRep:

Lol seriously man, you've gotta be kinding.. :|

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone who has replied (seriously) so far. I don't really think that the iPad is really worth it for me, just wanted to see if anyone could convince me otherwise. I don't really want to take my laptop into lectures, it's a little big. Any notebook recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldscollide)
    Maybe I have fatter fingers than your brother but it's well nigh impossible to type well or fast with the on screen keyboard.

But ohh yes an hour on the exercise bike goes so much faster with my iPad in front of me!

Even when you turn it on its side

you must have very big fingers. Me and practically everyone I know with an IPhone type really fast on that. So how can you struggle on the IPad ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.