Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accidentally overdrawn, but rectified in the same day? Still charged? HSBC Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I went overdrawn on my current account on the 16th by about £20 and as soon as I realised I transferred money over from my student account to cover what had come out, what might come out in the next few days and a bit extra just in case. This was all done within an hour of being put in minus figures, on the same day. All of this was via internet banking and transferred immediately.

I got a letter this morning telling me I would be charged £25 because they had to reverse a payment :eek3: They must have jumped on it really fast :mad: I called this morning and the woman I spoke to really couldn't tell me anything because no charges had been issued yet, but they would be by the 26th.

I've never had any trouble with them before, apart from one time about 5 years ago, where I got told if I paid it back in x amount of days they'd remove the charges.

Has anything like this happened to anyone before? And did you manage to get out of paying the fee? I wouldn't have minded as much if I'd been overdrawn and left it for days, but it was literally no more than an hour. I'm so annoyed/upset

ReputationRep:
    Most banks, especially HSBC and Natwest take a rather tough stance on these sort of things unfortunately, as unfair as it seems. Happened to my partner. Lloyds are the only one that give lee-way, they don't charge you anything as long as you cover the amount you've gone overdrawn by the same day. Although saying that, I got my overdraft fee wiped after I went overdrawn by about £50 and didn't pay it back. They allow one overdraft fee to be wiped per year.

I've banked with most of the banks on the high street and HSBC and Natwest are two of the worst to bank with, they have **** customer service and are most unsympathetic in situations like this.

ReputationRep:
    yep happened to me before, natwest were complete *******s about it. but i guess they're clear in the rules so you cant really complain.

natwest charged me £38 a year or so ago for a cheque bouncing, a month or so later the charges came down to £5. so £25 seems pretty high to me!

ReputationRep:
    Shame....

ReputationRep:
    :console: Very similar thing happened to me last month, also with HSBC. I phoned them up about it but obviously since I was overdrawn for a brief while, I still have to pay the £25 fee. Slightly annoyed but I couldn't do anything about it, I'm now more reliant on my student account where there isn't any interest charges for overdrafts. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I went overdrawn by 25p on one account - not sure why they even allowed the transaction as I dont have any overdraft facility on it...I got charged £25!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.