Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I cover my tuition fees if I work part-time? (for Imperial) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student, specifically from Malaysia. I am from a middle class earning family and I have been offered to study in Imperial College London for the year 2011. (conditional offer of 3 A's for Aerospace materials HJ45).

As an international student, my tuition fees to study in Imperial would cost me almost 140k pounds (including the cost of living), and since I am only suportted by my dad, he is only able to fund me 50k pounds. Which means, I need another 90k pounds to be able to study there.

Just wanted to know whether or not it is possible to fund myself by working there at the same time studying in Imperial? If I actually find a part time job at the Union or at some other place, how much can I earn? To be honest, is the pay even enough to cover my living expenses?

Thanks. Ur assistance is deeply appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    140k?! How long are you planning to study for?!
    4 years mate.. for international students each year cost 25k pounds at imperial.. and thats just tuition fees

ReputationRep:
    You might struggle. Have you looked into being sponsored by an aeronautical engineering firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neesh123)
    You might struggle. Have you looked into being sponsored by an aeronautical engineering firm?
    yes. I am trying my very best to look for sponsorships, be it full or semi. but in the worst case scenario, i might just have to fund myself. and, that is what i am worries of.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to be working full time at least to cover that mate.

You could try and get some funding from a racing company in malaysia? F1's pretty big over there and they love aero.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you will be able to earn 90K working part time. You need to get some form of sponsorship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    You'd have to be working full time at least to cover that mate.

You could try and get some funding from a racing company in malaysia? F1's pretty big over there and they love aero.
    yup ^^. Applied to Lotus F1, maybe i could do aerodynamics for them when i graduate. but the chances are really low. they dont offer sponsorship. Its just that i sent in an appeal letter to consider my case. U know any job there i could do to at least get a better pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by southminor)
    yup ^^. Applied to Lotus F1, maybe i could do aerodynamics for them when i graduate. but the chances are really low. they dont offer sponsorship. Its just that i sent in an appeal letter to consider my case. U know any job there i could do to at least get a better pay?
    It might be a good idea to get a job for a year before going yet.

Sorry, is this 25k in your currency or GBP?

ReputationRep:
    You need an extra 90k, so over 4 years that's £22,500 per year. Only a full time job will pay you that... sorry.

ReputationRep:
    You need to make up a deficit of 90k over 4 years? People would struggle to do that with a full time job, not to mention it is common knowledge that Imperial students do have a HUGE work load...to an extent where even working part time at times can be a struggle.

Working that much will also really compromise your studies as you'll have little to no time to work on assignments, revision etc.

Doesn't look good, maybe try securing some type of sponsorship? I'm really sorry to hear about your circumstances, it's such a shame that financial factors are holding you back from an otherwise very impressive academic achievement to have received an offer from Imperial.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    well, if i do get a part time job, how much can it pay me? assuming that i work like 4 hours a day...

ReputationRep:

Aerospace at Imperial charges ~£23-25k :yep:

ReputationRep:
    well, if i do get a part time job, how much can it pay me? assuming that i work like 4 hours a day...
    Well you do have the advantage of being in central London at Imperial, meaning hourly wages are higher than anywhere else in the country. However it's still not that high, a typical student part-time job (e.g. retail, customer services, telesales etc.) pays about ~£7 to £8 per hour.

ReputationRep:

pounds. thats 125k in my currency. fml.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Maybe 7-20 pounds an hour depending on what you are working as.

I would have a look here:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/...ugscholarships

ReputationRep:
    140k, 100 of which are fees. This leaves you with 40k to live off, for 4 years. Surely you could halve that. Most students are able to live off 5k a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnyoneOutThere)
    140k, 100 of which are fees. This leaves you with 40k to live off, for 4 years. Surely you could halve that. Most students are able to live off 5k a year.
    Not in London though, sadly for OP

I hope you find a sponsorship, to get an offer from Imperial is amazing and you obviously deserve to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnyoneOutThere)
    yea... would have to extremely save everywhere possible. 40k was just a rough estimation... i've never been to the UK before.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, wow that surely is a lot. £25k a year is crazy.. highest i've heard.. and since you're expecting amazing A's as results, isn't there any Govt scholarship you could apply for?

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely no way you will be able to earn £90k over 4 years part time. As someone else said, that's £22,500 per year, which would be a very reasonable graduate salary. Part time say 4 hours a day (that's 28 hours per week, far more than any uni will recommend) on say £10 per hour (if you're lucky) = £280 per week, assuming you work all year round that'll be £14560, but there's no way you'll keep up with your uni work doing that, and it doesn't allow you to have a single day off. Most unis suggest no more than 10-16hrs per week, so say 10 cos you're studying a tough course at Imperial, that's £100 per week = £5200 per year. No where near what you need. You need to be looking at sponsorship or loans, as well as working part time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.