Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a temporary job at BHS (British Home Stores) and have been working there since October every Sunday. My contract ends 16th January. At my interview I said that the only day I couldn't work was Boxing Day as I wasn't at home but was visiting relatives and that it had been planned months before I got the job. At my training day, someone asked if the store was open on Boxing Day and they told us that it wasn't so I thought that the fact I couldn't work this day wasn't a problem. Last Sunday I found out that the store is in fact open on Boxing Day, which is on a Sunday. I phoned up last Monday and explained the situation and the woman said that she was in on Sunday so we 'could talk about it face to face.'
    I tried to find her yesterday but couldn't find her anywhere so I'll have to phone up again today. There's no way that I can get in on Boxing Day as there are no trains running and the rest of my family won't be here to take me (I can't drive). What do you think will happen and what can they really do? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    just tell them again, i think it should be fine as you mentioned it before you got the job. otherwise, say you went visiting relatives but cant make the journey to work because of the snow. snow excuses FTW! your contract will end soon anyway so it doesnt matter if you **** them off on boxing day.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Card Factory make you work on boxing day, as well as christmas eve, new years eve and new years day. Was a wise decision of mine leaving there!

ReputationRep:
    Mention it again, they obviously took you on knowing that you couldn't work so maybe they just need reminding. I had to remind my work that I wasn't going to be there for 2 weekends like I said at the interview and there were no problems with it. However I have to work on Boxing day because unless mentioned earlier we are expected to work our normal days and because it falls on a Sunday and I work weekends looks like I'm in. Don't know what hours yet though.

ReputationRep:
    Phone up again about it, maybe speaking to someone else about it if you have to. Explain the situation and that this has been planned for months, that you told them about it when you got the job and you were told that it would be fine and there is no way you can work it etc. If the worst comes to the worst you will have to phone in on the day and make some excouse e.g.snow.

ReputationRep:
    You would have needed them to have it on your computerised record as D/O for them to remember things like this, particularly in the confusion over temp staff, christmas staff and regular staff etc. It IS a huge deal to stores starting sales etc. I would harrass them until they give it to you off or ask around if anyone who has it off wants it- you might be lucky and find someone who wants the extra money and doesn't care about working it. Ringing in sick/absent should be your absolute last resort- they can and will let you go since you're temp and it's such a massive crazy day. (Even though your contract is up soon would be nice to put it on your CV!) Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Boxing Day is a normal Sunday as far as BHS is concerned - it's only the Monday and Tuesday (bank hols) that are special. If you have a contract to work Sundays specifically, then unless they've remembered you need it off then they will be expecting you to work. If you have a 4/8/16 whatever hour contract, then as long as you do those hours on other days between then and the Saturday (1st) you'll have fulfilled your obligation. If management say you have to work it, see if anyone who's supposed to work New Years Day will swap with you and do Boxing Day instead. At my store, as long as you work either Boxing or NYD they're happy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.