Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found this forum by typing 'assaulted by police' into google, and as i am still technically a student (3 years ago!), and with many studunts being charged with 'section 5 public order' offences with all the protesting going on - i thought this might be a good place to get some advice.

If anyone can give some guidance on this so called 'offecnce' i would greatly appreciate it.

First, a little run down of the the events of Friday 17th December;

I had been out in Milton Keynes town centre with a group from work for our Christmas party. Around 11pm i said my goodbyes to work mates, and walked out of Lloyds bar to find a taxi.

Standing outside the front of the bar smoking a cigarette, a policeman ran up to me, grabbed me by the collar (nearly swallowed my fag whole!) and within an inch of my face (and spitting everywhere) screamed "if you do that again you're nicked".

I knew there had been a mistake, and maybe he was meant to abuse someone else, so i asked what i had done. His reply was 'you know what you did'.

I tried to reason with him and suggested he had the wrong guy. He pulled my shirt tight around my neck crushing my throat, spitting everywhere while shouting at me.

As he released his grip, i tried to move away from him - as i did two other officers came flying in from nowhere knocking me to the ground while screaming 'stop resisting, stop resisting'.

My face was smashed into the concrete (3 inch gash to my scalp) - then a fourth stamped on my ribcage with a flying-kick (huge boot print still on the side of my chest!)

One of them bent my arms behind my back, snapping my middle finger in the process (now looks like a burnt sausage!) and i have a 2 inch gash from handcuffs on both wrists, plus an unexplained 1.5 inch very deep cut to my palm.

After spending 11 hours in our local lock-up, i was expecting to get an explanation for why i had been arrested. The seargeant in the custody suite (who actually seemed like a decent guy) said he didn't know the full reason for me being arrested and issued me with an £80 fixed penalty fine for 'section 5 public order, causing alarm and distress' - i tried to query what 'alarm and distress' i had caused, and was again told that he didn't have the information, but that he was told by his superior that is what i was to be fined for.

To be honest i am totally shocked that they can get away with stuff like this, has anyone else here heard of anything similar?, does anyone know what my chances are of disputing this fine? - from searching the net it even seems like a 'section 5' is not an arrestable offence? - what is going on with this crazy world!

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Really???? You typed that up and got to The Student Room........:sherlock:

NO You didn't. I just tried it and sifted through about 18 pages and The Student Room never came up. Is this a troll by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    dont be a smart-ass, type 'assaulted by police' google and see which site comes up first sherlock!

ReputationRep:
    Woah that sounds rawr man.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how those that the police go after absolutely did not do anything beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a policeman wouldnt want to arrest you if you did nothing, they dont want to do all the paparwork!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I'm sure a policeman wouldnt want to arrest you if you did nothing, they dont want to do all the paparwork!
    Before friday i would have 100% agreed with you, but with a 'PND' as they call them, theres no paperwork, interview, solicitors involded or anything..

Im convinced they mistook me for someone else, maybe nearby?, but surely they have to tell you what you did to get arrested?, not just blanket the whole situation with 'section 5'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippydude)
    dont be a smart-ass, type 'assaulted by police' google and see which site comes up first sherlock!
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...lted+by+police :erm:

The Times?

Anyway, as for your thread, you should stop discussing this now to avoid prejudicing any future action and say that you wish to go to court, if you're so convinced you did nothing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Section 5 of the Public Order Act to my knowledge addresses general behavior that is not consistent with the public standards. Ie. Swearing loudly in the street, lude behavior and various things that may not have an actual victim but still cause trouble.

As for your story...I imagine it's suffored from selective recollection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but if you're not, then refuse to pay the fine until you get shown evidence of what you did wrong. If they can't provide this in court, then you don't have to pay, and may get compensation. But you're probably trolling anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by zippydude

My bad, the search term that brought me here was 'attacked by police'

To the above poster, im not an amnesiac, and had 2 pints of beer, hardly what i would call a memory eraser!

Standing on my own, quietlty, smoking a cigarette in the corner - without causing any trouble, and also with the custody sergeant unable to explain what i had done - surely that is not right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh398)
    I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but if you're not, then refuse to pay the fine until you get shown evidence of what you did wrong. If they can't provide this in court, then you don't have to pay, and may get compensation. But you're probably trolling anyway.
    No, sorry to disappoint your 'troll detector' - but im not one of those

ReputationRep:
    "refuse to pay the fine until you get shown evidence of what you did wrong. If they can't provide this in court, then you don't have to pay"

I know there is no evidence of me doing a single thing wrong, is it worth the hassle - for example if i get a pain in the ass judge, can they just take the police's word for what happened if the CCTV 'magically' goes missing or something?

ReputationRep:
    "refuse to pay the fine until you get shown evidence of what you did wrong. If they can't provide this in court, then you don't have to pay"

I know there is no evidence of me doing a single thing wrong, is it worth the hassle - for example if i get a pain in the ass judge, can they just take the police's word for what happened if the CCTV 'magically' goes missing or something?
    I'd ask a solicitor.

ReputationRep:
    I love how the police often scream for people to "stop resisting" when a lot of the time they are offering no resistance whatsoever, I wish they would offer people the chance to simply come quietly before they start tackling people to the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)
    I'd ask a solicitor.
    On my wages i could just about to afford to see his business card before he chucks me out the door! ;-)

ReputationRep:
    On my wages i could just about to afford to see his business card before he chucks me out the door! ;-)
    If you really aren't a troll. I doubt but...... You could still get help. Legal Aid Offers FREE LEGAL ADVICE. Look on google for legal aid and you should get some hopefully

ReputationRep:

If you are not trolling, do no pay the fine and go to a solicitor immediately. Ask them to obtain CCTV from the Bar immediately (Not the police, but your solicitors.. before it is destroyed etc.)

If the attack against you happened at the entrance of the Bar, i'm sure it will be covered by CCTV. In which case you should press charges against the police officers involved.

What is extremely funny here is all the TSR members who have never been outside saying the police never attack anybody without reason. Get real - it happens EVERY DAY. Firstly, everybody is human, just like the police and they make mistakes all the time, just like everybody else. So even when the police officer may have the best of intentions, they sometimes get the wrong person.

Further to this, the police is full of incompetent, egotistical, power freaks who like to bully other people. I've witnessed it many times and experienced it on the odd ocassion too. The police are not all that they are made out to be in the press. Yes - sometimes they get a rough time in the press, but mostly the attitude is 'The outright majority of police officers are great, there are just a few rotten apples.'

The truth on the other hand is, that there is problem that goes to the core of our police force and it needs to be addressed, instead of sentimental and selective reporting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House of Jonny)
    If you really aren't a troll. I doubt but...... You could still get help. Legal Aid Offers FREE LEGAL ADVICE. Look on google for legal aid and you should get some hopefully
    Yea, ive already looked up about that - but from what i can tell it is means tested, and as i have a small amount of disposable income im worried its going to end up costing me more for a solicitor than the £80 fine.

What i would like to know if you or anyone has experience with this sort of thing is.

1. will a judge take the police word for events if no CCTV emerges that can prove my innocnece,

2. If i win do the police have to pay my legal costs

3. Is it really worth the hassle to prove i did nothing wrong, or should i just put it down to a learning experience and not hang around outside pubs alone in the future!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.