The Student Room Group

Aqa psyb3

Hi all, just wondered if anyone had this exam coming up in the none-too-distant future?

Anywayz, just curious to see if anyone can shed some light on 'maternal mindedness' as a caregiver-infant interaction. The other stuff like motherese, imitation etc appear to be clearly identifiable ways in which attachment is developed/maintained and whilst I personally acknowledge the importance of a mother having an insight into their kid's mind in order to adapt their own behaviour, I'm not sure if it is an accepted caregiver-interaction.

Would welcome to any comments on this, or any other stuff to be fair. I'm doing Social Development, Forensic Psych & Schiz + Mood Disorder.

*I've just read that back and it seem as if I am proposing an interaction of minds. Deep. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeyy someone else actually doing psyb3 :smile: I'm doing cognitive development, cogntion & law, and forensic, which are all pretty interesting.

Why don't more schools do spec B?
Reply 2
Original post by studentee
Hi all, just wondered if anyone had this exam coming up in the none-too-distant future?

Anywayz, just curious to see if anyone can shed some light on 'maternal mindedness' as a caregiver-infant interaction. The other stuff like motherese, imitation etc appear to be clearly identifiable ways in which attachment is developed/maintained and whilst I personally acknowledge the importance of a mother having an insight into their kid's mind in order to adapt their own behaviour, I'm not sure if it is an accepted caregiver-interaction.

Would welcome to any comments on this, or any other stuff to be fair. I'm doing Social Development, Forensic Psych & Schiz + Mood Disorder.

*I've just read that back and it seem as if I am proposing an interaction of minds. Deep. :smile:

have you started revising yet?
Reply 3
Original post by Jacke02
have you started revising yet?

I am relived I found a PSYB3 thread!
I do Child cognitive development, stress and stress management and substance abuse.
I have yet to start revising, haha, i just lost control of my time during the holidays.
Have you started?
Reply 4
Original post by Jhyzone
I am relived I found a PSYB3 thread!
I do Child cognitive development, stress and stress management and substance abuse.
I have yet to start revising, haha, i just lost control of my time during the holidays.
Have you started?

I started abit. I've got 2 other maths exams in jan, but luckily all my exams are spread out a week from eachother (how lucky am i).

I've made some powerpoint tests for myself... but im focusing more on maths atm. do you think a week is long enough to revise for psyb3? i might need an a* in psychology so i gotta do good :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Jacke02
I started abit. I've got 2 other maths exams in jan, but luckily all my exams are spread out a week from eachother (how lucky am i).

I've made some powerpoint tests for myself... but im focusing more on maths atm. do you think a week is long enough to revise for psyb3? i might need an a* in psychology so i gotta do good :s-smilie:

I don't know what your current working rate is like in psychology atm so I can't tell if you can revise PSYB3 in a week.
Why can't you do a bit of psychology everyday so that you have the balance.
I suggest you do past exam questions under timed conditions - particularly the essays! Psychology exams test your skill to write under exam condition. Make sure you can write a 12 mark question in 20 mins without waffling etc.
Don't forget research methods.
For an A* your answers must be really coherent, logical and elaborated.

Haha, I should be doing my own advice really. Hope this helps.
Reply 6
Original post by Jhyzone
I don't know what your current working rate is like in psychology atm so I can't tell if you can revise PSYB3 in a week.
Why can't you do a bit of psychology everyday so that you have the balance.
I suggest you do past exam questions under timed conditions - particularly the essays! Psychology exams test your skill to write under exam condition. Make sure you can write a 12 mark question in 20 mins without waffling etc.
Don't forget research methods.
For an A* your answers must be really coherent, logical and elaborated.

Haha, I should be doing my own advice really. Hope this helps.

i thought for a* you only really need enouugh ao1s and ao2s to get by! And I'm doing abit before, ive made powerpoints that are like:

'name 4 features of vygotsky's theory' then on the next slide i test what i remembered.

They're quicker and more usefull than notes I find.

What sort of things are you revising for research methods? I know I will need to name the ethical problem of a study to get a mark for Ao2, i.e. protection of pps, but other than name the independant variable will we get something more complicated like name the design of a study?

For some reason i never do past papers for psychology... i'll start for this exam though...
Reply 7
Actually when i think about it, i have already done quite abit of revision... I had my cambridge interview with a guy whose study i was using for psyb3! How cool is that?
Reply 8
Original post by Jacke02
i thought for a* you only really need enouugh ao1s and ao2s to get by! And I'm doing abit before, ive made powerpoints that are like:

'name 4 features of vygotsky's theory' then on the next slide i test what i remembered.

They're quicker and more usefull than notes I find.

What sort of things are you revising for research methods? I know I will need to name the ethical problem of a study to get a mark for Ao2, i.e. protection of pps, but other than name the independant variable will we get something more complicated like name the design of a study?

For some reason i never do past papers for psychology... i'll start for this exam though...

Yeh, but remember for the 12 mark essay it is marked as:
A01 4 marks
A02 8 marks
the bulk of the essay must focus on analysis/evaluation/discussion.

That's a good method - though 1 thing is that it only test your ability to recall, so that's good for gaining A01 marks but not A02, unless there is a question eg "Discuss Piaget's research into conservation and egocentrism"

Link to my point above - you must always remember your methods!
If you get the question above - you are likely to talk about methodological issues such as ecological validity, etc.
You must also remember from AS - Sampling, Research Design, Experimental and non-experimental methods including advantages and disadvantages of each.

May I ask what you got for your AS Psychology?
Reply 9
Original post by Jhyzone
Yeh, but remember for the 12 mark essay it is marked as:
A01 4 marks
A02 8 marks
the bulk of the essay must focus on analysis/evaluation/discussion.

That's a good method - though 1 thing is that it only test your ability to recall, so that's good for gaining A01 marks but not A02, unless there is a question eg "Discuss Piaget's research into conservation and egocentrism"

Link to my point above - you must always remember your methods!
If you get the question above - you are likely to talk about methodological issues such as ecological validity, etc.
You must also remember from AS - Sampling, Research Design, Experimental and non-experimental methods including advantages and disadvantages of each.

May I ask what you got for your AS Psychology?

86 and 98 percent. The funny thing is, i did loads more revision for the 86 percent mark... and i was gutted with it (i know, thats riducularse)

We rarely talk about research design for this exam! At least not when analysing a study... i sometimes try to pop the odd term such as 'cross-sectional study' but i dunno if it matters that much.
It will, if we get a question such as name the design in study A... so i guess its worth revising.

And i make the powerpoints with questions such as 'name two criticisms of study x'... so i get my Ao2s in. I bought a windows phone for xmas, so i can study with the powerpoints anywhere :P

What did you get in your AS psychology? You must be taught far different to we are, our teacher seems to be more clinical when talking about essay writing. Your right as in you do need specifics when talking about research methods in studies- such as when talking about an ethical problem you need to name the problem.

I think our spec is far better then spec a, which everyone on TSR does. I loved perspective parts at the beginning. Are you doing schizophrenia? The only problem with the modules my teacher picked, are, if i may use some psychology, very similar. Nobody can tell the difference between whats on forensic psychology and congition to law... and that means forgetting by interference.
Reply 10
Heyy!

I thought I was being fooled and nobody in the world does this spec..
but I guess that isn't the case..

We're doing cognitive development, substance abuse, schizophrenia and mood disorders.
Not too bad, just need to practice writing essays don't seem to be getting the time really with all this Chemistry revision :frown:

At least psychology makes sense.. if your memory is good enough.
Reply 11
:O someone else does this spec!
I'm doing cog devel, sz and mood disorders, and criminology :smile:
Reply 12
Finally other people who do this spec!
I'm doing cog development, schizophrenia and mood disorders and substance abuse :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Jacke02
86 and 98 percent. The funny thing is, i did loads more revision for the 86 percent mark... and i was gutted with it (i know, thats riducularse)

We rarely talk about research design for this exam! At least not when analysing a study... i sometimes try to pop the odd term such as 'cross-sectional study' but i dunno if it matters that much.
It will, if we get a question such as name the design in study A... so i guess its worth revising.

And i make the powerpoints with questions such as 'name two criticisms of study x'... so i get my Ao2s in. I bought a windows phone for xmas, so i can study with the powerpoints anywhere :P

What did you get in your AS psychology? You must be taught far different to we are, our teacher seems to be more clinical when talking about essay writing. Your right as in you do need specifics when talking about research methods in studies- such as when talking about an ethical problem you need to name the problem.

I think our spec is far better then spec a, which everyone on TSR does. I loved perspective parts at the beginning. Are you doing schizophrenia? The only problem with the modules my teacher picked, are, if i may use some psychology, very similar. Nobody can tell the difference between whats on forensic psychology and congition to law... and that means forgetting by interference.

Wow, those are awesome marks dude, if you have never used past papers for psychology before, how did you revise then? Did you use the powerpoint method as well?

Yeh, remember also that methods questions will come up on the Child Development section - so cognitive for us. So it's worth brushing up on the research methods from Unit 1. They might ask us to suggest a suitable design for an experiment given in the scenario and give an advantage/disadvantage of it. You'll never know :P

It's also worth pointing out that as well as methodological issues you can also comment/criticise/evaluate the theoretical issues as well. Just a hint.

LOL, I got a C overall despite me giving good advice :P I think I'm more of an idealistic person. Like I know everything, but when it comes to the exams I don't perform as well xD I find it difficult to write ideas on my head into the exam paper if you get what I mean? :biggrin: so I think I just need to prepare better and actually do the essays instead of just planning them :P

My psychology teacher is the best. He is awesome. i think my teacher is an expert with this exam board and know what to expect. He's always on about checking the specification, doing past paper questions instead of just rewriting notes. He teaches us in a way that is exam focused. If you understand what I mean?

Yeh I think so too - I think AQA B is way better than AQA A. I don't do schizophrenia. I do Substance abuse and Stress which is really good because I can use the knowledge and apply it to my daily life :P Which is really good.
Reply 14
Original post by charrrrles
Finally other people who do this spec!
I'm doing cog development, schizophrenia and mood disorders and substance abuse :biggrin:

Original post by Nesselphie

Original post by YuDunno
Heyy!

I thought I was being fooled and nobody in the world does this spec..
but I guess that isn't the case..

We're doing cognitive development, substance abuse, schizophrenia and mood disorders.
Not too bad, just need to practice writing essays don't seem to be getting the time really with all this Chemistry revision :frown:

At least psychology makes sense.. if your memory is good enough.

WOW!

We can help each other out on the Child cognitive development module then!

I need help with Siegler's Work and Information processing - I don't understand it!
Reply 15
which textbook are people using? the white one is the best :P
Reply 16
Original post by Jhyzone
WOW!

I need help with Siegler's Work and Information processing - I don't understand it!

I've been revising infomation processing
Infomation processing is not really another approach. Its complimentary to piagets- it tries to understand how children can complete tasks such as conservation through the computer analogy.

The computer analogy looks at the mind as being a computer. Bee says that the mind changes qualitatively, in four different ways, to lead to greater cognitive efficiency:

Increased processing capacity ‘hardware’
Increased processing efficiency ‘software’
The development of rules for solving problems
The development of metacognition (an awareness of ones own cognitive capacities

Basically copy and pasted from my notes :P
Reply 17
Original post by Nesselphie

criminology :s-smilie:? Is that congition and law (eye witness testimony..) or forensic (theories of offending...)

Sorry I keep posting on this thread... i can't sleep though :/
Reply 18
Original post by Jhyzone
WOW!

Feel free to ask to me any thing, it would aid in my revision :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Jacke02
criminology :s-smilie:? Is that congition and law (eye witness testimony..) or forensic (theories of offending...)

Sorry I keep posting on this thread... i can't sleep though :/

hehe it's forensic :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending