Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    IN ORDER TO SATISFY MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS RELATING IN PARTICULAR TO THE EFFECTIVENESS OF FISCAL SUPERVISION , THE PROTECTION OF PUBLIC HEALTH , THE FAIRNESS OF COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS AND THE DEFENCE OF THE CONSUMER

That's from the judgement in Cassis, blame the CoJ for caps lock frenzy

Anyway, I was wondering what exactly mandatory requirements are - are they just that list above? And if so, what defines something as loose as "public health"?

Ta

ReputationRep:
    Mandatory Requirements are an open category that has been added to by case law

They are extremely difficult to define. There is specific case law on this but I'm not sure whether it is worth delving into that much detail on specific different mandatory requirements for the exam. The Treaty defences to breaches of the various articles on free movement of goods are quite similar as regards something like public health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Mandatory Requirements are an open category that has been added to by case law

They are extremely difficult to define. There is specific case law on this but I'm not sure whether it is worth delving into that much detail on specific different mandatory requirements for the exam. The Treaty defences to breaches of the various articles on free movement of goods are quite similar as regards something like public health.
    Aha, ok. So in an exam shall I only refer to that list I quoted as mandatory requirements?

ReputationRep:
    EU law makes me want to vomit all over a cute bunny.

ARGH.

Sorry, but I felt the need to display my hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Aha, ok. So in an exam shall I only refer to that list I quoted as mandatory requirements?
    You need some case law to refer to really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    You need some case law to refer to really
    Bugger.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.