Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why don't we just tax footballers and other sportsmen? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, some of them earn like, what, 100k a WEEK? Why not just tax the hell out of them? Most of them don't deserve it at all if you look at the way they play (I mean come on, they've been playing all their lives and yet a lot of their shots go way off target most of the times - some of it is SHOCKING).

Not just footballers, but other sportsmen to a lesser extent.

Yes, I know they are taxed, but I'm suggesting a massive tax.

*Edit*

FFS, people keep banging on about moving to other countries. I AM PROPOSING THAT EVERY COUNTRY DOES THIS. Or, if you'd prefer, imagine that we have just one country. Or, if you'd prefer, imagine a closed economy. Or, if you'd prefer, imagine a world tax.

*Edit 2*

Since some people are asking about numbers, I think it's fair to impose an 80% tax on footballers earning 100k/week. Even then, they're earning 20k a WEEK. That's more than a lot of people earn in a year still. I definitely support an 80% tax on footballers who still make 20k a week more than I do raising the fees.

If you can't live off of 20k a week, you have issues.

ReputationRep:
    They are currently taxed at about 50% isn't that high enough?

If we increased the tax the chances are they will move away from the country anyway so we won't get any of their money.

ReputationRep:
    40-50% isn't massive tax?

ReputationRep:
    I think we should tax trolls. then the trolling industry will dry up as all the trolls move abroad to tax havens.

ReputationRep:
    How I love living in such a fair society.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because theft is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    this has to be a troll?

we already have high taxes which make some players unwilling to come. its only because of insane owners that we still get the cream of the talent. they would just go and play in la liga if we taxed em any more

ReputationRep:
    They're being taxed at 50%, what more do you want?

ReputationRep:
    How is 40-50% high for someone earning 100k a week when that same tax is applied to someone earning 200k a year?

They add no real productivity to our world besides entertainment (compared with a doctor, let's say). I am proposing that sportsmen should earn less than doctors per year, not just in UK, but around the world.

ReputationRep:
    ^80% maybe?

ReputationRep:
    if they were taxed higher the clubs would have to offer even higher wages to make up for the high tax or the players would simply do abit more tax evasion

(Original post by Swayum)
      How is 40-50% high for someone earning 100k a week when that same tax is applied to someone earning 200k a year?

They add no real productivity to our world besides entertainment (compared with a doctor, let's say). I am proposing that sportsmen should earn less than doctors per year, not just in UK, but around the world.
      They would just **** off to another country so you would get 0% as opposed to the 40% you already have.

If you were earning lots of money, would you stay in a country where you were taxed at 90%?

ReputationRep:
      I guess our society seems to value footballers over doctors :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      One pays about £2,500,000 a year in tax, the other pays a bit under £100,000.

Simple supply and demand. Unfortunately there are significantly fewer people capable of competing in top-level football than there are people who are able to be doctors.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      They would just **** off to another country so you would get 0% as opposed to the 40% you already have.

If you were earning lots of money, would you stay in a country where you were taxed at 90%?
      You didn't read my last sentence. I'm saying that they wouldn't be able to get such a high salary ANYWHERE in the world. A sort of hypothetical world tax.

ReputationRep:
      Seriously, some of them earn like, what, 100k a WEEK? Why not just tax the hell out of them? Most of them don't deserve it at all if you look at the way they play (I mean come on, they've been playing all their lives and yet a lot of their shots go way off target most of the times - some of it is SHOCKING).

Not just footballers, but other sportsmen to a lesser extent.

You worked your arse off for your degree, they kick a ball around and get millions more then you. UMAD

ReputationRep:
      Jealous

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
      Simple supply and demand. Unfortunately there are significantly fewer people capable of competing in top-level football than there are people who are able to be doctors.
      I know, but it just upsets me, especially after the way I see those mugs play. Taxes are a way of correcting such market inefficiencies and bringing about social welfare.

ReputationRep:
      EDIT: Just read your around the world post, renders my post irrelevant.

People assume raising taxes to extortionate levels will be as simple as that, as if the taxed individuals are bound to staying in the UK.

Raise taxes extremely high and they can just erm...move abroad, save millions and enjoy their riches. The UK is infamously known to drive away their highest earners for this very reason, I think it's already pushing it with the 50% top bracket tax rate. Ultimately when people start moving away it's all the less high earners paying tax to the state, which means their initial motive to increase tax has led to the opposite.

ReputationRep:
      You don't think 50% is massive??! :eek:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.