Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We have to answer an essay question containing a quote taken from the case of South Caribbean Trading Ltd. v. Trafigura Beheer BV:

'But for the fact that Williams v. Roffey Bros Ltd... was a decision of the Court of Appeal, I would not have followed it. That decision is inconsistent with the long-standing rule that consideration, being the price of the promise sued upon, must move from the promisee.'

I understand that the question regards Williams v. Roffey being inconsistent with Stilk v. Myrick, the ignorance of the doctrine of consideration etc. My problem, however, is that I don't really understand what is meant by the words in bold (about consideration being the price of the promise sued upon). I'm not a native English speaker if that's why.. I guess it's not very relevant, but merely a way for the judge to say 'relating to this case'. However, I just want to make sure that I've understood the question correctly.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    It is a while since I did Contract Law. But I read the words in bold as relating to the idea of consideration as a "bargain" - each party has to get something. So it's just a way of explaining consideration as something that A has given for B's promise, in order to make it enforceable and therefore enable A to sue on it.

ReputationRep:
    The words add nothing, they just state what consideration is (i.e. the price of a promise / element of exchange)

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you, that's what I thought. Just being overcautious not to misunderstand the question!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.