Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are rich/upper-class people (the ones that are often demonised by Britain, a majority working class nation) more important to society?

Considering they pay the top bracket tax rates, where millions of pounds are coming from each individual? Also, although it's not necessarily always the case, they do have jobs that are highly influential and equally have more importance in society.

I believe that their contribution to society is far greater than those of the working class people, or at least they're not a drain on society by using up the resources and money like a bunch of leeches.

They are also paying for their own children instead of breeding like plague rats and getting the state to pay for it all. Majority of them don't use state resources, they use private education, private health care, as little of the state services that THEY are contributing most money towards.

I'm not anti-working class, in fact I AM a working-class citizen, but I genuinely believe that the rich people contribute more to society than working class people.

By 'contribution to society' I mean in terms that actually matter to the country, that allow a nation to progress and sustain itself...not that hippy contribution bull**** like working class people doing volunteer work or charity work or saving the plants or spending their days protesting for causes knowing they'll make no difference to just because they have nothing else to do.

Yours thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    ITT: "Hey guys look at this delicious can of worms I got from the corner shop, let's open it"

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, OP, but it's hard to say which sort of person is more important. Take away the rich, intelligent upper-classes and the rats would descend into some horrific primitive degenerate "society", millions would die very quickly.

But, take away the lower-class scum and the house of cards collapses, no one's left to do all the awful jobs (pretty much everything) that keep civilisation alive.

ReputationRep:
    My dad gets taxed 40% of his pay check straight away, without him even getting his hands on it. Without these people the government wouldn't be able to afford a lot of the expenditure raised through taxes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.