Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Clubbing advice? Worried... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I haven't been to an over 18 one before, but I don't have an excuse anymore since I turned 18. One of my friends keeps trying to get me to go... but

I'm worried because of bad experiences before - my 'mates' always seem to go off with guys during the night leaving me on my own and leaving me to go home by myself (this was at U18s and college nights, so didn't go so late/not as dangerous).
    Is this what happens to you guys? I always thought girls were meant to stick together make sure their friends get home alright and stuff.

I was thinking it might be better to try it now while I'm at home instead of uni, 'safer' environment and all, as I know the city here more. But on the other hand I'm scared to go out with them, as they go out to get drunk/pull/take drugs, I could be left out on my own at god knows wat time with older guys.

My mums like 'you should go out' and I'm like 'you know what they're doing?'

ReputationRep:
    Go with a friend who is responsible and who you can rely on..

ReputationRep:
    go in bigger groups?

and clubbing at uni is sooo much better than clubbing at home.

at uni my college pretty much all congregates in roughly the same place. so if i ever lose the friends i'm with i can always go off and find more people i know. i also tend to know a hell of a lot more people in each club when i'm at uni compared to home and at uni the clubs are full of students, at home they're full of chavs and older people. so i'd argue clubbing at uni is much safer

ReputationRep:
    Seems pretty pointless if you aren't going to be drunk, pulling or taking drugs. Stay at home and read a book pet.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a reet bore to go out with, get talking to some new people yourself, never know what kind of mates you will meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    Basically I haven't been to an over 18 one before, but I don't have an excuse anymore since I turned 18. One of my friends keeps trying to get me to go... but

I'm worried because of bad experiences before - my 'mates' always seem to go off with guys during the night leaving me on my own and leaving me to go home by myself (this was at U18s and college nights, so didn't go so late/not as dangerous).
    Is this what happens to you guys? I always thought girls were meant to stick together make sure their friends get home alright and stuff.

I was thinking it might be better to try it now while I'm at home instead of uni, 'safer' environment and all, as I know the city here more. But on the other hand I'm scared to go out with them, as they go out to get drunk/pull/take drugs, I could be left out on my own at god knows wat time with older guys.

I put off going clubbing for 10 months. The first time I went was in my second week of uni, when I was nearly 19. I regretted not going sooner. It's really fun! Go with a fairly big group so that when you get separated from people (kind of inevitable if it's a really big, busy club) you're not by yourself. Not overthink it, it's just a night out and it's really fun (: If you don't enjoy it (you might not, it's not for everyone) then just don't go again. But don't leave it and leave it because that's what I did and I wish I had gone sooner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    I put off going clubbing for 10 months. The first time I went was in my second week of uni, when I was nearly 19. I regretted not going sooner. It's really fun! Go with a fairly big group so that when you get separated from people (kind of inevitable if it's a really big, busy club) you're not by yourself. Not overthink it, it's just a night out and it's really fun (: If you don't enjoy it (you might not, it's not for everyone) then just don't go again. But don't leave it and leave it because that's what I did and I wish I had gone sooner!
    I don't have a huge group to go out with I might wait till more of my friends turn 18 to go.
    I watch your YT videos x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Seems pretty pointless if you aren't going to be drunk, pulling or taking drugs. Stay at home and read a book pet.
    I would do the above apart from drugs, though if I wanted to go to just be with my friends or dance that would be enough of a reason. I wouldn't want to get drunk if my mates are just going to leave me though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a huge group to go out with I might wait till more of my friends turn 18 to go.
    I watch your YT videos x
    Yeah that's a good idea (: Then also it will be lots of people's first times going!

Ahhhh do you actually XD That's so bizarre hahaha! Thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    go in bigger groups?

at uni my college pretty much all congregates in roughly the same place. so if i ever lose the friends i'm with i can always go off and find more people i know. i also tend to know a hell of a lot more people in each club when i'm at uni compared to home and at uni the clubs are full of students, at home they're full of chavs and older people. so i'd argue clubbing at uni is much safer
    That totally depends where you live/ go to uni though. For me, at home we all go out on the same night (Tuesday, student night) and I'm likely to come across loads of people I know. Whereas at uni unless it's a uni organised event there aren't really set places where people go and I'm not likely to bump into people I know.

I agree with going in bigger groups though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    That totally depends where you live/ go to uni though. For me, at home we all go out on the same night (Tuesday, student night) and I'm likely to come across loads of people I know. Whereas at uni unless it's a uni organised event there aren't really set places where people go and I'm not likely to bump into people I know.

I agree with going in bigger groups though
    really? i assumed all uni's had pretty set nights out... supposedly not!

every tuesday/wednesday pretty much everyone heads to the same club. then thursday/sunday we split between two.

i just love clubbing where i constantly run into a tonne of people i know, and i can just drift between everyone. much more fun than being stuck in small groups

ReputationRep:
    really? i assumed all uni's had pretty set nights out... supposedly not!

every tuesday/wednesday pretty much everyone heads to the same club. then thursday/sunday we split between two.

i just love clubbing where i constantly run into a tonne of people i know, and i can just drift between everyone. much more fun than being stuck in small groups
    Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet :erm: there are loooooooooads of different nights advertised at different clubs and people seem to go to different ones though. London is a lot bigger than Cambridge though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet :erm: there are loooooooooads of different nights advertised at different clubs and people seem to go to different ones though. London is a lot bigger than Cambridge though
    haha true true, i imagine all of our clubs could probably fit into one of yours...

ReputationRep:
    go in bigger groups?

This is true. Technically, your 'home friends' should be more reliable as you've known them longer but you might be in a club in the middle of a city with loads of people you don't know and if they disappear you're stuck. But when you go to uni, you can end up by yourself and still find someone you know most of the time - or else, for the first few weeks at least (and even after that really) it's perfectly acceptable to meet people in clubs and have a chat/hang around with them.

ReputationRep:
    Just go and have fun, if you ever find yourself on your own for prolonged period of time and you dont feel as a safe, ring a friend or get a taxi home or ring a parent etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshnit)
    Just go and have fun, if you ever find yourself on your own for prolonged period of time and you dont feel as a safe, ring a friend or get a taxi home or ring a parent etc
    I agree, you've got to just get past it and go out and do your own thing. And if it doesn't work that way have someone you can fall back on. I dunno what uni is like but I turned 18 in August and have loved going out since (although I'd been out a good few times before I turned 18), I defo recommend trying it before uni cos I reckon you're maybe expected to already have some clubbing experience by then...? Oh, and by the way, who says your friends have to have all the fun? I wasn't the most outgoing person say a year ago but I realised that standing about feeling lonely and not enjoying yourself is just a disadvantage to you. It happened to me one night and I just said to myself, "You're here now, why not just have my own fun?" Although your friends should be there for support and safety you don't always have to hang with them, it can be annoying for them to if you expect them to I suppose.

Don't do what I did the first time though... got myself insanely drunk because I was compensating for the lack of friends with me... ended up boking at the side of the road on the way home...
    haha

Hope I've helped a little x

ReputationRep:

*Make sure you have emergency contact numbers easily available in your phone.
    *Make sure you only consume drinks that you have consumed.
    *Make sure that you do not become drunk (i.e. stop when you feel your senses are becoming less accurate).

Do the above and you should be fine. Maybe you could go once to see if you actually find it fun, but you may find it difficult to communicate with your friends in a really noisy environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    *Make sure you only consume drinks that you have consumed.
    Quaffing back glasses of your own piss in a nightclub will not go down well... outside of Newcastle at least.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you hang round with a bunch of wannabe hookers, no offence. Just wait til uni if you're that bothered about it coz by the sound of it you'll make better mates there, or just go out with other people now.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Wahaaaay;28983078]Sounds like you hang round with a bunch of wannabe hookers, no offence. Just wait til uni if you're that bothered about it coz by the sound of it you'll make better mates there, or just go out with other people now.[/QUO
    No offence taken, a couple of them do some dodgy stuff... one had a 25 yr old drug dealer bf. I wouldn't judge them but I don't know I want to put myself in positions with that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.