The Student Room Group

Quitting my Graduate Scheme

Hi all, I need some advice.
I have been offered a grad scheme in a job I don't want to do (call it my insurance option). I think I will take it because I don't want to be a jobless graduate.

The thing is, I want to quit it after 9 or 10 months, to move into a new graduate scheme, which is the one I really want.

My plan is to take the current offer, but reapply for grad schemes in the next cycle of graduate schemes that start around sept 2011, then hopefully land the offer I want, and start that in 2012, while quitting my 2011 grad scheme.

The grad scheme offer I got is 2 years.

OK, so am I allowed to quit my grad scheme? Im looking to move from the (back office) retail side to the front office corporate side. I know I can do this because In my recent AC for the corporate banking, I woulda got it apart from one teeny point.

thanks,
Dr. D :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by dr.dangerous
OK, so am I allowed to quit my grad scheme?

Nope, you're locked in forever. When you quit you get black listed from all graduate schemes.

Of course you can, as long as you justify why you want to leave, I recently left consultancy for IB.
Reply 2
Too late to apply for some FO internships for this coming summer? I forget when intern deadlines are.. there must be a few still open?
Reply 3
Original post by J4ME5
Nope, you're locked in forever. When you quit you get black listed from all graduate schemes.

Of course you can, as long as you justify why you want to leave, I recently left consultancy for IB.

How good does your reason have to be? can't I just say I'm not happy here anymore, or I have decided to take a new direction?
Reply 4
How good does your reason have to be? can't I just say I'm not happy here anymore, or I have decided to take a new direction?

You present to a panel of MD judges. Your reason needs to score on average higher than 7 out of 10.
Reply 5
lol, no seriously, because if I quit, I don't want a crappy reference.
Reply 6
You'll be fine. Chill.
Reply 7

They'll ask why you're not happy of course. One of my interviews was based around why I was leaving my current grad scheme. As long as you keep clear of 'because its more money', state FO suites your work style and interests, long term career aspirations etc etc. Also avoid slagging off your current graduate scheme, no one likes a hater.

I guess how good the reason will be will depend on your interviewer(s).
Reply 8
Well, when it comes to interviews they'll say "You're already doing a grad scheme..why you doing this one? Are you a quitter?" And then it'll be very hard to swing it back your way IMO.
Check your contract. My friend is training to be an accountant at one of the big grad places (PWC?) and if he quits in the first 3 years he has to pay back tens of thousands of pounds, as they pay him through all his exams.
Reply 10
Original post by modgepodge
Check your contract. My friend is training to be an accountant at one of the big grad places (PWC?) and if he quits in the first 3 years he has to pay back tens of thousands of pounds, as they pay him through all his exams.

really? I thought you only pay back the exam fees :O

and the thing about being a quitter, yeah, similar to the grilling the guy got on the apprentice in the interviews if you watched it hahaha
oh well, not like they can stop me from leaving...
really? I thought you only pay back the exam fees :O

and the thing about being a quitter, yeah, similar to the grilling the guy got on the apprentice in the interviews if you watched it hahaha
oh well, not like they can stop me from leaving...

I'm not sure tbh, I think it is just exam fees but they come to tens of thousands of pounds. I know it was a massive amount cos him and his gf are reasonably well off (both in jobs earning about £40k 2 years after graduating, own a house etc), and he really wanted to quit cos he hated it and wanted to be a teacher but the amount he'd have to pay stopped him.
Reply 12
the amount he'd have to pay stopped him.

That's how Accenture hooks people in :noway:
Not the case with my friend who started about a month with EY this year and then quit and is now due to start IB in January.

Perhaps his case was only early on, so not much resources was actually put into him...
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest