The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Is Bath boring?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Beating Around The Bush
Just finished my first semester doing BBA at Bath as well.

Enjoyed every week of my time being there, I worried too about it being boring (coming from busy Manchester to small Bath) but it really isn't as long as you make the most out of it that's available to you.

To sum up I've had such a good start I didn't go home for 11 weeks, now being at home I'm bored and craving to go back and I met some amazing new people.

What was the workload like for the first term? I heard everyone on the BBA course is pretty close-knit, how many people do it each year? thanks. x
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 41
Bath's a great place to do a degree: world class departments, good accomodation, friendly atmosphere, high class sports facilities, hot girls, cheap beer, great nightlife.

I think I went out virtually every night during my first two years, there was always a club night/pub quiz/happy hour/band night or something going on, it was basically impossible to stay in.
Reply 42
Original post by Part A
What was the workload like for the first term? I heard everyone on the BBA course is pretty close-knit, how many people do it each year? thanks. x

Several of my mates did BBA, and one of their first year assignments was "write a CV". So I wouldn't suggest its too strenuous. :rolleyes:

There is an ongoing Bath joke that every other student pronounces BBA like "Matt Damon". I think we were suggesting that they weren't the sharpest tools in the box. :biggrin:
Original post by py0alb
Several of my mates did BBA, and one of their first year assignments was "write a CV". So I wouldn't suggest its too strenuous. :rolleyes:

There is an ongoing Bath joke that every other student pronounces BBA like "Matt Damon". I think we were suggesting that they weren't the sharpest tools in the box. :biggrin:

Aha the CV is a requirement, wasn't a marked assignment ; )

Original post by Part A

The workload is okay. Generally you will have 7-10 economics questions to answer for your seminar, they aren't graded. There is an assignment halfway on micro which you have to pass in order to take the exam in January. It isn't hard, go to the lectures and equip yourself with the textbook and you will be fine.

For Law you will have to do questions every fortnight for your seminar, which will greatly help you in the Jan exam.

Accounting, there's a 25% coursework halfway through. Not the easiest piece of work I've ever done but is doable.

Business Data Analysis, 2 in class tests in Semester 1 with a coursework over Christmas.

People and Organisation a coursework on the first 6 lectures of Semester 1, I would advise you turn up and pay attention to these lectures or face stress and difficulty like me. Plus some small prep work for seminars.

Business in Society, in each Semester you have to present a presentation in a group of about 5-7 others to your seminar group. Not easy but you hvae 2 weeks to prepare.

Overall we get off quite lightly.
I've applied to do Economics at Bath this year, still haven't heard back, they said they're waiting for the deadline to pass. I absolutely love the university and the city, I am dying to go there, fingers crossed I'll get in!!
Reply 45
Original post by veronica111
I've applied to do Economics at Bath this year, still haven't heard back, they said they're waiting for the deadline to pass. I absolutely love the university and the city, I am dying to go there, fingers crossed I'll get in!!

Yeah I have another year till I apply but I think I will go there for Business Admin - like the fact that its not big but still has a good nightlife. And the placements seem really good as well :smile:

good luck! Do Bath give out AAB offers at all for Business?

Good luck! The course is awesome... hope you like maths though :p:
Reply 47
Original post by littlemiss-sunshine

Apparently there's not that much math in it compared to other business courses like Warwick? I imagine there will be a fair bit in Economics :P
Original post by Part A
Apparently there's not that much math in it compared to other business courses like Warwick? I imagine there will be a fair bit in Economics :P

I couldn't say for business, I was referring to economics... the first year maths was a killer for someone like me who doesn't like maths, but I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near as bad for business!
Reply 49
I couldn't say for business, I was referring to economics... the first year maths was a killer for someone like me who doesn't like maths, but I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near as bad for business!

Yeah I know, not really a big fan of Maths! I can do like mental arithmetic and algebra but after that, staight line graphs and the sort :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Part A
Yeah I know, not really a big fan of Maths! I can do like mental arithmetic and algebra but after that, staight line graps and the sort :/

Haha far worse than that... partial differentiation, matrices etc :|

Course I like maths, got my C3 exam next week and secretly enjoy doing all those practice papers!! (:
Course I like maths, got my C3 exam next week and secretly enjoy doing all those practice papers!! (:

haha good luck :biggrin:
Original post by py0alb
cheap beer

pffffft.

if youre talking about off-licences and wetherspoons, maybe. But they aren't exactly exclusive to Bath now are they
Reply 54
Original post by TheGardener
pffffft.

if youre talking about off-licences and wetherspoons, maybe. But they aren't exactly exclusive to Bath now are they

the plug?
Original post by py0alb
the plug?

Every uni has an SU bar though, and most are cheaper than plug.
Personally I don't think theres anyway you can call Bath cheap in terms of drinking.
Reply 56
Original post by WelshBluebird
Every uni has an SU bar though, and most are cheaper than plug.
Personally I don't think theres anyway you can call Bath cheap in terms of drinking.

I wasn't particularly attempting to claim that it was a cheap city, I was quoted out of context. Clearly its comparable to most places in the south of England. But there are still cheap student nights available (or at least there were when I was there).

£1.90 for a pint in the SU isn't bad at all either - it is more than that at Nottingham.
Original post by py0alb
I wasn't particularly attempting to claim that it was a cheap city, I was quoted out of context. Clearly its comparable to most places in the south of England. But there are still cheap student nights available (or at least there were when I was there).

£1.90 for a pint in the SU isn't bad at all either - it is more than that at Nottingham.

What do you drink for £1.90? I thought the cheapest pint was Carlsberg at about £2.30...
£1,90, £2,30... Like a dream. Here in Norway you'll have to pay a minimum of £6 for one pint.
Reply 59
New to this thread... I've got an offer from Bath to do Business Admin course - glad to see people enjoying it as it's my first choice. However I'm gonna ask about sport. Does anyone know how teams are selcted for football at Bath, and how to get into representing the Uni at it? And if you doing get in then what else can you do there regarding football? Thanks for any help

Quick Reply

Latest