Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've really tried to settle into my uni, ive been there for 3months but its not were i wanted to go initially,but i'm just depressed i hate my course its not what i expected at all. I know exactly what i wanna do next year, but i don't know how to tell my dad, it's really getting me down, and i genuinely don't know what to do - hence trying this site...so if anyone has any hints or advice such as, what the hell do i do about my student finance n such please comment

thanks in advance !

ReputationRep:
    listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtovqcYKW2Y

ReputationRep:
    whats the course??????????///
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Why don't you know how to tell your dad? Have you talked to anyone at uni about this, like your personal tutor?

Student finance can cover you for four years afaik, so as long as you haven't dropped out of a course previously and you're sure you wouldn't drop out of a future one, you should be OK methinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kshark)
    i've really tried to settle into my uni, ive been there for 3months but its not were i wanted to go initially,but i'm just depressed i hate my course its not what i expected at all. I know exactly what i wanna do next year, but i don't know how to tell my dad, it's really getting me down, and i genuinely don't know what to do - hence trying this site...so if anyone has any hints or advice such as, what the hell do i do about my student finance n such please comment

thanks in advance !
    Tell your dad! I'm sure he will understands how unhappy you are with the course (and uni?). If you already do not like the course there is no point in trying to 'stick it out' as you view may not change & the course may leave you in a job you dislike which = long term unhappiness. In terms of student finance i have no idea (sorry). Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Why don't you know how to tell your dad? Have you talked to anyone at uni about this, like your personal tutor?

Student finance can cover you for four years afaik, so as long as you haven't dropped out of a course previously and you're sure you wouldn't drop out of a future one, you should be OK methinks
    Thanks for that . no i haven't dropped out before or anything!

Ahh my dad has a brain injury and his reactions are a bit headstrong at times. not easy at times. I haven't talked to anyone in uni, im only at uni for 6hours, and i've been too embarrassed to go to anyone and say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree-Shay)
    Tell your dad! I'm sure he will understands how unhappy you are with the course (and uni?). If you already do not like the course there is no point in trying to 'stick it out' as you view may not change & the course may leave you in a job you dislike which = long term unhappiness. In terms of student finance i have no idea (sorry). Good luck!
    Thank you, i really appreciate your advice!

ReputationRep:

thanks in advance !
    Wow this is literally the same as me. I've dropped out and am working (aka: finding jobs to do) at this time. My dad doesn't know. Instead, I'm going to uni in September 2011 to a place I know I'll be alright at. When I go, I'll just tell him that I've transferred my credits from my first year to the new uni. =D
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for that . no i haven't dropped out before or anything!

Ahh my dad has a brain injury and his reactions are a bit headstrong at times. not easy at times. I haven't talked to anyone in uni, im only at uni for 6hours, and i've been too embarrassed to go to anyone and say.
    What course are you doing now and what course would you like to do? Would it be possible to just change courses now at the uni you're at, or are you not happy with the uni either?

In any case, it's worth talking to your personal/subject tutor, or a welfare person at your uni, so you can get some support and/or advice about changing courses/unis. Loads of people struggle with their first term, so you're hardly on your own and it's nothing to feel embarrassed about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddua_dduges)
    Wow this is literally the same as me. I've dropped out and am working (aka: finding jobs to do) at this time. My dad doesn't know. Instead, I'm going to uni in September 2011 to a place I know I'll be alright at. When I go, I'll just tell him that I've transferred my credits from my first year to the new uni. =D
    Ahh i cant keep things from my dad! how are ye gonny keep it hidden for a whole year?

ReputationRep:
    What course are you doing now and what course would you like to do? Would it be possible to just change courses now at the uni you're at, or are you not happy with the uni either?

In any case, it's worth talking to your personal/subject tutor, or a welfare person at your uni, so you can get some support and/or advice about changing courses/unis. Loads of people struggle with their first term, so you're hardly on your own and it's nothing to feel embarrassed about
    Im currently studying english...but i'd much rather be doing business management..i'd rather change uni's aswell to be honest !

Thanks so much for your advice - it's been a real help

ReputationRep:
    Im currently studying english...but i'd much rather be doing business management..i'd rather change uni's aswell to be honest !

Would you like to buy my username?

£50 ono

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that I can say is that you should tell your Dad as soon as you possibly can.. things will only get worse the longer you leave it. It's a hard choice but if you feel you're doing the right thing, then you should drop out and follow the path that you truly wish to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedepressedchild)
    Would you like to buy my username?

£50 ono
    no thanks . appreciate the humour though..if you can call it that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    The only thing that I can say is that you should tell your Dad as soon as you possibly can.. things will only get worse the longer you leave it. It's a hard choice but if you feel you're doing the right thing, then you should drop out and follow the path that you truly wish to take.
    Thank you !
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I think you should maybe spend time thinking about whether you really wanna do this and then do all the appropriate research and talk to your current uni and the unis you might like to attend in Sept. That way when you talk to your dad, you'll at least be sure of what you're saying and it will show him that you've spent a lot of time thinking about it. Obviously it's hard to say what his reaction will be given his illness, but hopefully if you have done research and can say things with more certainty, that might make it easier

ReputationRep:
    I think you should maybe spend time thinking about whether you really wanna do this and then do all the appropriate research and talk to your current uni and the unis you might like to attend in Sept. That way when you talk to your dad, you'll at least be sure of what you're saying and it will show him that you've spent a lot of time thinking about it. Obviously it's hard to say what his reaction will be given his illness, but hopefully if you have done research and can say things with more certainty, that might make it easier
    Okay..i shall thanks so so much again, you've been a great help !!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No worries! Good luck with it all and do talk to people at your uni!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i cant keep things from my dad! how are ye gonny keep it hidden for a whole year?
    Well I don't live with him and we don't talk much. Twice a year by phone call. And we meet up once around xmas time and maybe twice around summer hols...so it's pretty easy for me lol.

ReputationRep:
    if you have a mum tell her first?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.