Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Language and Literature....Wasted Lives Coursework :) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there..

For English we're reading Frankenstein (Mary Shelly) and In Cold Blood (Truman Capote). For the coursework we have to write an essay by analysing about 2 pages from each book based around the idea of wasted lives and comparing the ideas.

I've got quite a few ideas already but I'm finding it difficult finding two pages from both which are true examples of wasted lives.

Does anyone out there have any page suggestions?....or are doing the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    anyone out there with help?

ReputationRep:
    please?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read either. One down, thousands to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple_starlight)
    Hi there..

For English we're reading Frankenstein (Mary Shelly) and In Cold Blood (Truman Capote). For the coursework we have to write an essay by analysing about 2 pages from each book based around the idea of wasted lives and comparing the ideas.

I've got quite a few ideas already but I'm finding it difficult finding two pages from both which are true examples of wasted lives.

Does anyone out there have any page suggestions?....or are doing the same thing?

Is this for GCSE or A-Level? (I'm just wondering because I did the same type of thing for GCSE coursework in Year 9).

ReputationRep:
    A level (the AS year)

ReputationRep:
    Oh My God, I'm Doing The Same Thing!I'm Doing It On The Character's Elizabeth Frankenstein And Herbert Clutter From In Stone Cold.I've Only Wrote about 500 Words . What About You? What Are You Doing?

ReputationRep:
    By The Way, Which Character's Did You Pick For Your Coursework? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiorella14)
    [COLOR="Indigo"]Oh My God, I'm Doing The Same Thing!I'm Doing It On The Character's Elizabeth Frankenstein And Herbert Clutter From In Stone Cold.I've Only Wrote about 500 Words . What About You? What Are You Doing?[/COLOR]

By The Way, Which Character's Did You Pick For Your Coursework? :/
    ooooh cool! have you word-counted yet...what were your word counts for the pages?

whoaa! you've done lots more than me ...I havn't started writing task 1 or 2 yet ....I'm just planning and annotating the photocopies...

I picked Perry and The Creature to compare because they've both had such difficult lives and have been deprived of love...and they commited the murders as a way of effecting somebody else, rather than the victims theirselves.
    oooh and for the creative piece i'm gonna do a diary entry of the creature me-thinks

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, It's Around 500-600 Words, And I Dont Know What Else To Write, It's Supposed to be 1500 Words, I Gave It In To My Teacher As My First Draft, She's Going To Kill Me When She Find's Out How Much I Wrote! . . . I Wrote about how Elizabeth Has a 2D Character Wheras Herbert Is A 3D Character. I Dont Know What Else To Write About. To Show The Wasted Lives In Herbert and Elizabeth. Bdw We Havent Started Our Creative Writing Yet. How's Your Cwk Going So Far?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, It's Around 500-600 Words, And I Dont Know What Else To Write, It's Supposed to be 1500 Words, I Gave It In To My Teacher As My First Draft, She's Going To Kill Me When She Find's Out How Much I Wrote! . . . I Wrote about how Elizabeth Has a 2D Character Wheras Herbert Is A 3D Character. I Dont Know What Else To Write About. To Show The Wasted Lives In Herbert and Elizabeth. Bdw We Havent Started Our Creative Writing Yet. How's Your Cwk Going So Far?
    What do you mean by 2D and 3D characters?

For the wasted lives bit, maybe talk about how Elizabeth is waiting for Victor to propose and come back (when he's working on the creature), rather than going out there and meeting other people, and experiencing life more. Herbert Clutter is opposite to Elizabeth because he's got a family and is well known in Holcomb because he does lots of community work and is really "out there".

Also, wasted lives because they both get killed. But you could probably say how Elizabeth is more of a wasted life, as she didn't achieve as much as Herbert. And she was younger than him, so anything she could of achieved she didn't, cos her life was cut short.

My coursework is happening slowly.......i start the essay, but then I put it off ....I get too easily distracted lol!...........I really need to just concentrate on it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't write anything about that as my extracts, don't have the killings of Elizabeth and Herbert. Do you still think I should mention it although it's not in the extracts I picked? =/. . . My coursework's also going very slow, as i have three exams next week.. I think you should go to a library or something, where your alone and where your not going to be easily distracted, 'cause if you leave it to the end, it might be hard for you.

ReputationRep:
    we're doing the recreative task, but i don't know any parts that are completely original and show wasted lives.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.